OH

Jul 2016
Alabama
A relationship with God (for me) has to grow, it starts at nothing, then we begin to grow it slowly.....reading the Bible and learning who God is.....OH!!:grin:

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
A relationship with God (for me) has to grow, it starts at nothing, then we begin to grow it slowly.....reading the Bible and learning who God is.....OH!!:grin:
Reading the Bible is the best way to make someone an atheist.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2015
Minnesota
Reading the Bible is the best way to make someone an atheist.
If that were true, then all Bible scholars would be atheists. In point of fact, exactly the opposite is true. Those billions who have actually READ the scriptures with an eye to understanding what it actually says for the past 2 millennia--I'm discounting those who pull out single passages with the preconceived intent either to discount the authentic and complete message of the Bible, or to create an excuse to commit genocide--have become more firm in their faith the more they READ. Most Atheists and agnostics I have encountered have never truly READ what is written, but have only reacted to what they have heard or read from someone else.

I would like to meet an Atheist who could name in order the 66 separate books of the King James Bible and tell me what each one is about. No offense intended to you personally, who I regard as an intelligent thinker capable of putting together a rational argument, your aforementioned post being a rare exception.

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Oregon
Or to become a Mother Teresa, or a Martin Luther King.

you see the Bible brings out reactions from those that Love God as well as those that hate God
But it is a poor substitute for science and developed higher order thinking skills. I am hoping we will get around to proving science leads to better moral judgment than the bible. The Bible also is not the only book that prepares us for good judgment and a healthy democracy depends on philosophy and science, not a book about demons and angels and a jealous, revengeful, punishing and fearsome god, and a kingdom.

However, I really like the biblical way of love and forgiveness that comes up in the new testament and the forgiveness of debt in the old testament.

Feb 2014
Oregon
If that were true, then all Bible scholars would be atheists. In point of fact, exactly the opposite is true. Those billions who have actually READ the scriptures with an eye to understanding what it actually says for the past 2 millennia--I'm discounting those who pull out single passages with the preconceived intent either to discount the authentic and complete message of the Bible, or to create an excuse to commit genocide--have become more firm in their faith the more they READ. Most Atheists and agnostics I have encountered have never truly READ what is written, but have only reacted to what they have heard or read from someone else.

I would like to meet an Atheist who could name in order the 66 separate books of the King James Bible and tell me what each one is about. No offense intended to you personally, who I regard as an intelligent thinker capable of putting together a rational argument, your aforementioned post being a rare exception.
That eye of understanding is indoctrination. If a person is not indoctrinated the bible is not believable. It is very dependent on the words that were created to make sense out of a man being a god. In the early days of Christianity Christians were killing each other because there were no words for the concepts essential to things like understanding how a man could also be a god. The whole concept of a trinity had to be invented, and Latin words had to be created for Greek concepts to be Romanized and swallowed into a new religion.

We find the new testament compatible with ideas of democracy because the new testament is Hellenized Judaism. During the Renascence scholars who translated ancient Greek and Roman documents, realized that and the Enlightenment was a return to the Greek and Roman philosophy that finally turned the lights back on and got us out of the dark age, and into the enlightenment and modernization.

Jun 2015
Minnesota
That eye of understanding is indoctrination. If a person is not indoctrinated the bible is not believable. It is very dependent on the words that were created to make sense out of a man being a god. In the early days of Christianity Christians were killing each other because there were no words for the concepts essential to things like understanding how a man could also be a god. The whole concept of a trinity had to be invented, and Latin words had to be created for Greek concepts to be Romanized and swallowed into a new religion.

We find the new testament compatible with ideas of democracy because the new testament is Hellenized Judaism. During the Renascence scholars who translated ancient Greek and Roman documents, realized that and the Enlightenment was a return to the Greek and Roman philosophy that finally turned the lights back on and got us out of the dark age, and into the enlightenment and modernization.
???

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
But it is a poor substitute for science and developed higher order thinking skills. I am hoping we will get around to proving science leads to better moral judgment than the bible. The Bible also is not the only book that prepares us for good judgment and a healthy democracy depends on philosophy and science, not a book about demons and angels and a jealous, revengeful, punishing and fearsome god, and a kingdom.

However, I really like the biblical way of love and forgiveness that comes up in the new testament and the forgiveness of debt in the old testament.
Is it, show me 100% proof that the Universe is a cosmic accident, or Random event.

your rejection of there being a God is no less an act of faith than my acceptance of a God.

I tell you what you think the Biblical account of Creation is false, do me a favor pick the scientific theory you believe brought about the creation of the Universe

Take a spiral note pad (not note book and write on 2 pages the step by step the creation process).

Last edited:
Mar 2017
Massachusetts
Is it, show me 100% proof that the Universe is a cosmic accident, or Random event.

your rejection of there being a God is no less an act of faith than my acceptance of a God.

I tell you what you think the Biblical account of Creation is false, do me a favor pick the scientific theory you believe brought about the creation of the Universe

Take a spiral note pad (not note book and write on 2 pages the step by step the creation process).