Ohio GOP Pass Bills That Allows Religious Views To Trump Scientific Facts In The Classroom

Nov 2012
nirvana
Geography test question: How old is the Utica shale formation that Ohio is drilling for oil and natural gas?

Answer: 6,000 years, just like the Bible says.

According to critics, HB 164, the Ohio Student Religious Liberties Act of 2019—which every single Republican in the Ohio House of Representatives and two of its Democrats voted for—would bar teachers from dinging that answer, which is 444 million years off the mark, if the student claims “sincerely held religious beliefs” for making it. And this would apply to all science tests. For example, under this belief, astronomers couldn’t possibly be right about the Andromeda Galaxy being 2.5 million light-years distant from the Milky Way.

Reactions: leekohler2
May 2018
none
Geography test question: How old is the Utica shale formation that Ohio is drilling for oil and natural gas?

Answer: 6,000 years, just like the Bible says.

According to critics, HB 164, the Ohio Student Religious Liberties Act of 2019—which every single Republican in the Ohio House of Representatives and two of its Democrats voted for—would bar teachers from dinging that answer, which is 444 million years off the mark, if the student claims “sincerely held religious beliefs” for making it. And this would apply to all science tests. For example, under this belief, astronomers couldn’t possibly be right about the Andromeda Galaxy being 2.5 million light-years distant from the Milky Way.

Do you have a link other than DailyKos? My family is in Ohio, and I want to alert them to this bill. I could only find more DailyKos links. Snopes finds this claim unproven:

I hate shit like this as much as you do, but I can't find anything to support DailyKos' claim. Be careful with them. They're not always accurate.

Last edited:
Jun 2018
South Dakota
I grew up in NE Ohio. Pre 1958. I remember some conversation about science and religion and the differences in their beliefs. I also remember that we were taught that the age of the earth was billions of years not thousands and religion never was allowed to dictate how things were taught in our classrooms. This doesn't seem to want to do that but protect students from having to deal with the conflicts encountered. In this vein, the issue will eventually be more a Muslim fired one than Christian.

Nov 2012
nirvana
Do you have a link other than DailyKos? My family is in Ohio, and I want to alert them to this bill. I could only find more DailyKos links. Snopes finds this claim unproven:

I hate shit like this as much as you do, but I can't find anything to support DailyKos' claim. Be careful with them. They're not always accurate.

Page 16