Ohio House, Senate pass ‘heartbeat’ abortion ban

Mar 2008
australia
This has nothing to do with mens inability to control women. This has to do with women not taking full control of their reproduction system.

As you and others have clearly stated it is not up to men to decide about a womans body and if they can have an abortion or not. So if that is the route society wants to take this then women need to take responsibility of their reproductive process in a manner that does not endanger human lives. They need to be more selective in choosing to allow sperms into themselves or take more protection measures that will ensure this issue does not get to the point where we are killing lifeforms. SCIENCE has made enough advances that now women really do not have any excuse to have another person growing inside them unless they choose it.
exactly. women need to decinde whether they want a person inside them. its their choice.

thats why, if they decide they dont want one, they should use contraception or not have sex.

however, if that fails, for whatever reason, and they find they are pregnant, and dont want a person inside them, they should have an abortion.

we all agree!

and, weirdly, you are now arguing against your own argument.

oh, hang on, you are also asserting the unfounded, illogical, and scientifically incorrect lie that because there is a heart beat, there is a living human being present, and so abortion would be killing that human being.

but as this thread, and thousands before it, have demonstrated, the mere existence of contractile cardiac tissue is not sufficient to define a living human being. the fact that the Ohio legislature bought this lie tells us a lot about the Ohio legislature, it doesnt say anything about the philosophy of life.

May 2018
Chicago
exactly. women need to decinde whether they want a person inside them. its their choice.

thats why, if they decide they dont want one, they should use contraception or not have sex.

however, if that fails, for whatever reason, and they find they are pregnant, and dont want a person inside them, they should have an abortion.

we all agree!

oh, hang on, you are also asserting the unfounded, illogical, and scientifically incorrect lie that because there is a heart beat, there is a living human being present, and so abortion would be killing that human being.

but as this thread, and thousands before it, have demonstrated, the mere existence of contractile cardiac tissue is not sufficient to define a living human being. the fact that the Ohio legislature bought this lie tells us a lot about the Ohio legislature, it doesnt say anything about the philosophy of life.
I ask these questions of every anti-abortion person I know and none of them can ever answer, so I will ask it again:

To those of you against abortion- you claim that fetuses and zygotes are people. So can you tell me about your memories of the womb? Did your mother tell you your name? Did she talk to you? What did she say? What was being in an amniotic sac like? How did you breathe? Do you remember the moment you became a person when your father's sperm hit your mother's egg? Clearly you must.

Bottom line- if any one of us were aborted during that time, we would never have known it.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I ask these questions of every anti-abortion person I know and none of them can ever answer, so I will ask it again:

To those of you against abortion- you claim that fetuses and zygotes are people. So can you tell me about your memories of the womb? Did your mother tell you your name? Did she talk to you? What did she say? What was being in an amniotic sac like? How did you breathe? Do you remember the moment you became a person when your father's sperm hit your mother's egg? Clearly you must.

Bottom line- if any one of us were aborted during that time, we would never have known it.

I don't remember much of anything before age 10...does all of that still apply?

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
"Federalism" is perhaps the most misunderstood or mis-used modern political term in America.
What exactly do you mean by "federalism", Sabcat, in relation to this Ohio law?
Federalism this is what Roe did Give States the right to regulate abortions. That is the opposite of federalism.

Mar 2019
Texas

we all agree!

but as this thread, and thousands before it, have demonstrated, the mere existence of contractile cardiac tissue is not sufficient to define a living human being. the fact that the Ohio legislature bought this lie tells us a lot about the Ohio legislature, it does not say anything about the philosophy of life.
There is the morning after pill also so there is no valid excuse to kill babies with a heart beat. You claim some type of scientific evidence but you bring none. I have demonstrated that in nature these youngsters are considered to be alive,viable and a life form.

If women want to maintain this strangle hold over men in the form of having 100% say over their reproductive choices and still rape men for things like forced support of currency then they need to also take a greater responsibility over their actions and know now that since science has proven that these people are alive inside them they can no longer wait as long to terminate a bad choice they made.

Mar 2019
Texas
yes. most of the time. nobody disagrees with this as a general principle, but also everybody accepts there are instances where it does not apply. someone on heart bypass having cardiac surgery for example, or the occasional people who have lived with artificial hearts. and the instance where a brain dead person is considered dead even when there is a heart beat still active.

well, i say everyone accepts there are instances when this rule doesnt apply. you are the exception. you have ignored these points. you have just pretended that these situations dont exist. you have done the intellectual equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling "LA LA LA"

you have implied that. you have not explicitly said it, but you have definitely implied it.

obviously, the heart beat alone is NOT enough to define life. the human body is a complicated network of interacting parts and they must all be taken into consideration, as must the context of the moment. the things you will consider to define life in the case of surgery are different to the things you will consider in the case of playing golf.

and different to the things you will consider in the case of a fetus.
Yes once the heartbeat is present most of the organs are too. Holla at me when people stop needing hearts to live.

Mar 2019
Texas
And getting an abortion IS taking responsibility of their reproductive process
Agreed!

I am also asserting that it needs to become more proactive so that this becomes a non issue. The morning after pill. Selective sexual interactions and more focus on the impact choices can make on someone when a human life is taken because of reasons that could have been avoided.

Like i was saying the whole system currently ignores that it is not fair to cut men completely off from the decision while at the same time not taking full responsibility for things up to that point. It is not very sensible to think women and men should not be responsible before a termination decision but after the decision responsibility becomes 100% on the woman. She needs to own 100% of the responsibility or give men more of a say in the decisions at a certain point and what better point than a heartbeat and organs starting.

Mar 2019
Texas
If you ask me, the promotion of the proper use of birth control methods other than through abortion, perhaps more appropriately called fertilization or implantation control, should be a sort of middle ground that most people should agree upon regardless of their position on abortion. And, to some extent, that promotion thru the years since RvW has seemingly worked since the abortion rate in the US has decreased on average since RvW.
I agree. Science has changed much on this issue and the cases of a woman's life being in danger during birth are extremely rare yet that excuse is still used. Rape victims have options now that they did not before.

I think it is time tptb stop promoting abortion simply because they believe there are too many people in the world and let us start having a honest conversation about population numbers and steps that can be taken out in the open and honestly.