OK conservative, states' rights advocates, where do you stand on this?

Apr 2019
America
So, you're good with presidents using federal power to negate states' rights.

Good to know.
Stop that. Don't put words in my mouth. I said it could be done. I think California is self destructive and wishes to infect the rest of the country.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Maybe Trump can get his packed court to say it's OK to revoke the California Clean Air Standards by executive order, but the industry doesn't want that, because if they start building dirty gas guzzlers, the next president will restore the standards, and the industry will be stuck with dirty gas guzzlers that are illegal to sell in the largest car market in the US.

Nov 2005
California
Stop that. Don't put words in my mouth. I said it could be done. I think California is self destructive and wishes to infect the rest of the country.
Funny how you rush to non-topical arguments when the hypocritical nature of your position is exposed...

I can't find any info affirming your guess. Maybe you can.

From the OP:

Concerned that each state would pass different regulations, Congress decided that the EPA would set vehicle pollution standards for the nation. But it carved out an exception for California, saying that the EPA would be required to grant the state a waiver to set its own rules, provided they were at least as stringent as the federal ones. Other states could choose to follow either California’s regulations or those set by the EPA.
The rule change to try to end that authority comes a few months after California spurned the White House by secretly negotiating a deal with four major automakers. As part of the pact, the car manufacturers — Ford, Honda, Volkswagen and BMW — agreed to voluntarily abide by California’s rules and increase fuel efficiency and reduce emissions, essentially ignoring the Trump administration’s plans to roll back tailpipe pollution standards.
Trump getting his widdle feelings hurt and being a bully.

Imagine that....
This is incredibly clear.
CONGRESS passed legislation which allowed California to do exactly what they are doing.
But Trump doesn't want to follow the rules. In his mind, it's his way or the highway.

Even worse, the car manufacturers made a business decision that he doesn't like, so he punishes California for that???
Trump's move is ridiculously childish.

Last edited:
Apr 2019
America
Maybe Trump can get his packed court to say it's OK to revoke the California Clean Air Standards by executive order, but the industry doesn't want that, because if they start building dirty gas guzzlers, the next president will restore the standards, and the industry will be stuck with dirty gas guzzlers that are illegal to sell in the largest car market in the US.
The air would be a lot cleaner without human emissions all over their city streets. And what you describe would be a very bad business decision would just not happen.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
But They Want Trump To Clean-Up Their Sidewalks
Trump Has A Proposal For Homeless In L.A.
President Trump reportedly ordered officials to wade into the homeless crisis in Los Angeles.
But local leaders are wary of federal involvement.

You Betcha...
Trump Plans a Crackdown on California Homelessness - CityLab
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...oving-residents-government-backed-facilities/
Where in the article does it say California asked Trump to do this? I didn't see that.