One Supreme Court Justice Can Run The Whole Country

Nov 2012
nirvana
How did we ever get into this mess of where five people, coming down to one, can run an entire country of some 350 million people? There’s something wrong with this picture. It’s been so since John Marshall’s tenure as chief justice of the United States. There’s a reason Marshall’s huge statue and quotations grace the basement floor of the Supreme Court building in Washington, D. C. He gave the Supreme Court its unchallengeable superiority in legally running the country.

One Supreme Court justice can run the whole country

Dec 2018
New England
How did we ever get into this mess of where five people, coming down to one, can run an entire country of some 350 million people?
We got into the mess by deciding the Constitution was a "living" document and that its meaning, rather than being defined by the intent of those who ratified its provisions, is instead defined by the political sensitives of a committee of lawyers with lifetime tenure.

Reactions: walkaway
Dec 2015
Arizona
We got into the mess by deciding the Constitution was a "living" document and that its meaning, rather than being defined by the intent of those who ratified its provisions, is instead defined by the political sensitives of a committee of lawyers with lifetime tenure.
Have you been communing with Scalia via seance?? I hate to break it with you, but you're in the minority if you think the Consitution is a dead document. The majority of Americans consider the Constitution as living---i.e. the Supreme Court should base its rulings on what the Constitution “means in current times".
Oh sure. We can amend the Constitution but considering our partisanship that process has become impossible. We are being ruled by an oligarchy and NINE (most often LESS than NINE) out-of-touch gods who haven't lived a "normal" life in decades and they get a LIFETIME to stay out of touch.
Originalism limits judges--confines their judgments. Simple solutions to everyday problems for every day Americans have become insurmountable because of something written almost 250 years ago. Not 10 years ago. Not 50 years ago.
American voters do not TRUST our government OR our court system. The ambiguous statements in our Constitution have played a MAJOR role in that distrust.
Next time you talk to Scalia, give him my regards.

May 2019
USA
Quite a few of the rulings are unanimous or near unanimous. The OP article author is wrong, however, in saying there is no check or balance when it comes to the supreme court. Congress can impeach justices if they so desire, and the Supreme Court has no meaningful way to enforce its rulings. It doesn't have an army that can go out and impose its will on others. Its rulings are only enforceable to the extent that the other parts of the government are willing to enforce them.

Reactions: Cantankerous
May 2019
USA
Quite a few of the rulings are unanimous or near unanimous. The OP article author is wrong, however, in saying there is no check or balance when it comes to the supreme court. Congress can impeach justices if they so desire, and the Supreme Court has no meaningful way to enforce its rulings. It doesn't have an army that can go out and impose its will on others. Its rulings are only enforceable to the extent that the other parts of the government are willing to enforce them.
Chief Justice Rehnquist certainly grasped that supreme Mengele swastika up Uranus court idea in the Bicentennial Reichquest crusade of lynching enforcement immaculate drug conceptions as if their were no thieving US Constitution - old glory - old testament arsonists in this country according to the Fuhrer's Brainwashing Inquisition & then again Rehnquist with yet another immaculate drug conception where Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate cops Freudian slip in baptize thine eyes by urinations attack on one of Ike's WW II Pentagon staff sergeants, who also rule with immaculate drug conceptions to have their Islam-Christian second coming thru 9/11 for an Islamidiotocracy of Christiananality pedophilia business national religion.

Dec 2018
New England
-i.e. the Supreme Court should base its rulings on what the Constitution “means in current times".
Sorry, no. I prefer laws written by elected legislators and not appointed judges. I realize that's a bit old fashioned, but as concepts democracy and the separation of powers are not new.

OR our court system
And yet you seek to give them unlimited legislative powers. You just make no sense sometimes, Clara'.

Reactions: LTP
Jun 2018
South Dakota
How did we ever get into this mess of where five people, coming down to one, can run an entire country of some 350 million people? There’s something wrong with this picture. It’s been so since John Marshall’s tenure as chief justice of the United States. There’s a reason Marshall’s huge statue and quotations grace the basement floor of the Supreme Court building in Washington, D. C. He gave the Supreme Court its unchallengeable superiority in legally running the country.

One Supreme Court justice can run the whole country
It seemed to be OK when the one justice was ruling consistently for the left tho wasn't it. Libs tend to be silent about a situation/condition as long as it favors them. A recent example is the redistricting bruhaha.

May 2019
USA
Chief Justice Rehnquist certainly grasped that supreme Mengele swastika up Uranus court idea in the Bicentennial Reichquest crusade of lynching enforcement immaculate drug conceptions as if their were no thieving US Constitution - old glory - old testament arsonists in this country according to the Fuhrer's Brainwashing Inquisition & then again Rehnquist with yet another immaculate drug conception where Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate cops Freudian slip in baptize thine eyes by urinations attack on one of Ike's WW II Pentagon staff sergeants, who also rule with immaculate drug conceptions to have their Islam-Christian second coming thru 9/11 for an Islamidiotocracy of Christiananality pedophilia business national religion.
Cool but the legislative power to impeach and remove is the only unchecked power in the Constitution. The SCOTUS cannot even overturn that act.

May 2019
USA
Sorry, no. I prefer laws written by elected legislators and not appointed judges. I realize that's a bit old fashioned, but as concepts democracy and the separation of powers are not new.

And yet you seek to give them unlimited legislative powers. You just make no sense sometimes, Clara'.
SCOTUS have usurped powers as who else other than POTUS would have Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate cops dictate immaculate drug conceptions at what seemed to be the reincarnation of the Fuhrer's Brainwashing Inquisition for Arab "death to the infidels" flying carpet terrorists threatening POTUS before 9/11 as it wasn't in their pervue, but rather the secret service. This Islamidiotocracy certainly has way too many Christiananality pedophilia business associates of powers.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
You people are fucking hilarious!!

EVERY TIME we have a ruling from scotus someone, somewhere says that A) If you like the ruling the. The justices are wise and knowledgeable and upholding the constitution or B) If you disagree with their ruling they’re a bunch of activist fucktards that need to be eliminated !!

It’s just so hilarious because this is the conversation we have after every ruling!!

As Ben Franklin supposedly said “Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”.

Sometimes, as much as we don’t always agree with them, our independent judiciary is the only thing that keeps the sheep from becoming dinner.

Sometimes those damned activist judges are the only thing that keeps the majority from stripping away and/or totally ignoring the rights of the individual!!

That’s why we have them. I don’t always like them very much. I certainly don’t always agree with them. But I’m damned sure glad they are there.