One way to look at the impeachment issue

Dec 2018
New England
With at least 300 votes on one side of the ledger, I think it can be said that no high stakes issue currently bouncing around Washington has more bipartisan support than not impeaching President Trump.

FWIW.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
With at least 300 votes on one side of the ledger, I think it can be said that no high stakes issue currently bouncing around Washington has more bipartisan support than not impeaching President Trump.

FWIW.
My bet is that the Dems will waffle around until the exact moment the leadership thinks that impeachment can do the most damage and then "discover" the magic bullet that will kill Trump. An "anonymous source close to the Prez or other authority" will try to replicate the "deep throat" persona to slay the Prez.

Dec 2015
Arizona

FWIW.
There are at least TWO things most of us can agree with: Democrats are divided on impeachment and I'm still on the fence, along with many others. I'm a little pissed at our Founders for the nebulous, vague language about “high crimes and misdemeanors,” which could cover anything from murder to shoplifting. I don't like it and there's nothing to be done about it. As one journalist said: Impeachment is not a legal remedy. It's a political tool. Is Trump better or worse than Nixon or Clinton? Does he LIE less or more?
The second point: He’s not a popular president, by any stretch — even the most Trump-friendly poll will tell you that about 45 percent of the country approves of the way he’s doing his job right now, and it’s probably closer to 40. That’s not impressive. But for whatever set of reasons, cultural or political, Trump’s behavior as outlined in Mueller’s report has not outraged the vast majority of the country and this bothers me a great deal. Why aren't more Americans outraged? As Trump himself has pointed out....he could probably get away with murder.

But IMHO, impeachment is a dead end. The process will take at least a year which brings us to 3-months SHY of ballot box day. It's too risky for Dems. On the other hand, it's a pretty sure thing that Trump WILL be prosecuted when he leaves office, which MOST of us are hoping will be 2020. I'm willing to throw the dice--hope for a WH win in 2020--and our justice system can take over. Trump has made countless enemies in the last 3 years. Karma? May. Be. The. Answer.

Oct 2010
Colorado
There are at least TWO things most of us can agree with: Democrats are divided on impeachment and I'm still on the fence, along with many others. I'm a little pissed at our Founders for the nebulous, vague language about “high crimes and misdemeanors,” which could cover anything from murder to shoplifting. I don't like it and there's nothing to be done about it. As one journalist said: Impeachment is not a legal remedy. It's a political tool. Is Trump better or worse than Nixon or Clinton? Does he LIE less or more?

The second point: He’s not a popular president, by any stretch — even the most Trump-friendly poll will tell you that about 45 percent of the country approves of the way he’s doing his job right now, and it’s probably closer to 40. That’s not impressive. But for whatever set of reasons, cultural or political, Trump’s behavior as outlined in Mueller’s report has not outraged the vast majority of the country and this bothers me a great deal. Why aren't more Americans outraged? As Trump himself has pointed out....he could probably get away with murder.

But IMHO, impeachment is a dead end. The process will take at least a year which brings us to 3-months SHY of ballot box day. It's too risky for Dems. On the other hand, it's a pretty sure thing that Trump WILL be prosecuted when he leaves office, which MOST of us are hoping will be 2020. I'm willing to throw the dice--hope for a WH win in 2020--and our justice system can take over. Trump has made countless enemies in the last 3 years. Karma? May. Be. The. Answer.
Impeachment is a dead end that will not in any way help to defeat Trump in 2020. And as a side note, "the squad" may as well be working for the Trump reelection campaign.

However, the response of the people to the Mueller report bothers me too. I don't understand it other than there's a bit of Trump inside many Americans, who pledge allegiance to the end justifying the means, a confession that most US consumers will look the other way as long as they have more stuff to consume.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Impeachment is a dead end that will not in any way help to defeat Trump in 2020. And as a side note, "the squad" may as well be working for the Trump reelection campaign.

However, the response of the people to the Mueller report bothers me too. I don't understand it other than there's a bit of Trump inside many Americans, who pledge allegiance to the end justifying the means, a confession that most US consumers will look the other way as long as they have more stuff to consume.
Most of us are still trying to understand WHY we've become completely immune to what used to be considered unforgivable, outrageous, appalling, disgraceful. What happened? When did it happen?
I can remember reading the words "politically incorrect" for the first time and thinking...HUH? Then, month after month, it became a pejorative phrase and I was like....uh...good manners? Civility? Deportment?
Stuff our parents drilled into us.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Most of us are still trying to understand WHY we've become completely immune to what used to be considered unforgivable, outrageous, appalling, disgraceful. What happened? When did it happen?
I can remember reading the words "politically incorrect" for the first time and thinking...HUH? Then, month after month, it became a pejorative phrase and I was like....uh...good manners? Civility? Deportment?
Stuff our parents drilled into us.
Yep, drilled.

Can you imagine our folks' generation electing a Trump? Me either.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I was just reading a piece called Insult Politics. The article starts with the George Wallace (1968) theme song: Draw attention to yourself with something "FIERY". I got the impression that somehow that implies a certain STRENGTH, authority, ability.
When you think about it... it sorta makes sense. Obama was consistently referred to as "weak", but then Obama was more "professorial" and tame, by comparison. Was that when America started scoffing at the educated among us? Calling most of us the "elites"? Because we had a college education?
Last time I checked approximately 48% of Americans have a college degree, which BTW, isn't all that great globally. Today, the U.S. is 13th in the world in the proportion of the population with degrees, behind countries such as Canada, Russia and Lithuania.
That's a little shocking.