One way to look at the impeachment issue

Jul 2019
Georgia
um. yes please.

"Significantly, the appeals court decision several days ago reaffirmed that exception. All three judges agreed that an impeachment inquiry falls within the “exception for judicial proceedings” and “coheres” with other rulings about the proper scope of grand jury secrecy."

Edit: I had an old familiar feeling when I read that. I think it's called "hope". I've become so disillusioned lately that I've been repressing hope so I don't get disappointed.

Access to the full report, documents, and witnesses might be the thing that turns this ship in the right direction. *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
Jul 2014
massachusetts
Impeachment is a political process, subject to political calculations.
It's not a legal process, with the possibility of appeal. The "jury" is known, people can call the jury members and ask them how they are going to vote, before the process even begins, deals can be made to secure votes, there is no requirement that the jury is impartial, there is no obligation to impeach, it's all about the politics.
So let the politicians sort it out.

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
If I had to guess, Nancy Pelosi withholding impeachment to create cover for her House members in purple districts. If you look at the majority of House seats that flipped from red to blue in 2018, they came from purple districts with relatively moderate candidate. Despite what many believe, there weren't a lot of progressives who flipped seats. Nancy Pelosi on the other hand comes from a heavy blue district so she can take a TON of criticism without it threatening her seat. She's worried about losing the majority, which means she needs to provide cover for her most vulnerable members. So when the democratic population shouts about why impeachment hasn't happened, House members can say "Don't look at me, look at Pelosi."

Best case scenario for Dems: Win presidency in 2020, hold the House
Worst case scenario for Dems: Trump wins in 2020, Dems lose the House
Middle of the road: Trump wins in 2020, Dems hold the House.

I think Pelosi is trying to avoid the worst case scenario.

Not sure I agree with it, but that's my best guess.

Dec 2018
New England
Most of us are still trying to understand WHY we've become completely immune to what used to be considered unforgivable, outrageous, appalling, disgraceful. What happened? When did it happen?
I can remember reading the words "politically incorrect" for the first time and thinking...HUH? Then, month after month, it became a pejorative phrase and I was like....uh...good manners? Civility? Deportment?
Stuff our parents drilled into us.
I think it began with the defense of Bill Clinton. When people began to convince themselves that lying under oath and obstructing justice weren't really "crimes" when they subject of the lie and of the investigation was sex we began down a road of partisans convincing themselves of anything.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I think it began with the defense of Bill Clinton. When people began to convince themselves that lying under oath and obstructing justice weren't really "crimes" when they subject of the lie and of the investigation was sex we began down a road of partisans convincing themselves of anything.
Maybe it goes back to the Iran-Contra debacle.

Dec 2018
New England
Maybe it goes back to the Iran-Contra debacle.
Maybe, but I never found it that hard to believe the explanation that Reagan had been detached from the day-to-day and didn't know what was going on. With Clinton, there was no debate that he lied under oath nor debate that he obstructed a civil case in which he was the defendant. The explanation was it really wasn't that bad and we should move on.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I can't quite tell whether you are serious or joking.
Bill Clinton?
Are we still talking about the phrase "politically correct/incorrect? Gone amock? The policing of language? Offensive rhetoric? AND somehow that's related to Bill Clinton and his impeachment?

Dec 2018
New England
I can't quite tell whether you are serious or joking.
Bill Clinton?
Are we still talking about the phrase "politically correct/incorrect? Gone amock? The policing of language? Offensive rhetoric? AND somehow that's related to Bill Clinton and his impeachment?
I may have misunderstood your earlier post. I took it to mean, in so many words, "when did this partisan tolerance for presidential wrong doing begin?"