Outrage is the most profitable emotion

Jan 2015
MD
Outrage is the most profitable emotion, so advertisers are trying to make you angry - CityAM

Warning: this article may make you angry.

We know that advertising is all about evoking an emotion to make consumers feel a certain way about a product. You may think that making people happy or excited is the best way to make them buy, but marketers are realising that the most powerful tool at their disposal is something completely different: outrage.

Sparking outrage may seem counter-intuitive when trying to sell or promote a product, but to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. And outrage gets people talking, or at least noticing.

“Studies tell us that 84 per cent of advertising is not noticed,” says Will Hanmer-Lloyd, head of behavioural planning at Total Media.
[...]

Obviously, content that taps into our emotions is more effective than blandness. And, of all our emotions, anger is the most effective at getting content shared. A 2009 study by the University of Pennsylvania found that content which evoked anger was 34 per cent more likely to be shared, compared to that which was awe-inspiring (30 per cent) or anxiety-inducing (21 per cent). Content that made people sad was 16 per cent less likely to go viral.
Anger is a “high-arousal” emotion – it agitates us into doing something, such as leaving an angry comment online. Positive content leads to consensus (no one argues over pictures of cute cats), but anger provokes arguments and disagreements.
Pretty much sums up how I feel. We are living in an era where outrage-inducing content is what sells the most because it stirs up the most conversation. You see it with Donald Trump, Kanye West, H&M, etc.

Pissing ppl off seems to sell nowadays. If you disagree, I’d love to hear your thoughts as to why.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Hmmm....not sure if I agree or disagree, but here are a couple of points.
The article is from 2018 and I would have preferred something more recent because a LOT has happened in advertising and outrage since Sept 2018.
I have never been "outraged" by a commercial, but I know people who are constantly upset. Most of them are conservatives who seem to have a low tolerance level and very little logic. Examples: Blaming Colin Kaepernick for Nike's decision to pull the Betsy Ross shoes. Starbucks holiday (not Christmas) cups.
But...I do not blame social media--for anything. I like hearing what people think--good and bad. It kind of keeps me centered.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Outrage is the most profitable emotion, so advertisers are trying to make you angry - CityAM

[...]

Pretty much sums up how I feel. We are living in an era where outrage-inducing content is what sells the most because it stirs up the most conversation. You see it with Donald Trump, Kanye West, H&M, etc.

Pissing ppl off seems to sell nowadays. If you disagree, I’d love to hear your thoughts as to why.
Good post. My only arguement might be that if anything moves product better than outrage it is fear.
And let's face it, a political candidate or ideaology is just another "product" to sell to someone.
It's "buy MY product" OR you won't be as pretty, or sucessful or as healthy or as skinny or as safe, etc. etc. etc. as you could be (fear).
It is every sales person or marketers dream to be able to change his product, at least in the minds of his target market, from a WANT into a NEED.

A humorous example I enjoy I take from the 1988 movie Scrooged, starring Bill Murray. He plays a TV executive promoting a new Christmas show. One of his executive (Bobcat Goldthwait) tells him that some little old lady has died of a heart attack after viewing one of the over-the-top commercials promoting the movie. Murry thinks this is great, and after Goldthwait's character says that he thinks a lot of people really want to see the movie already Murry throws him against a wall and screams, "It's not enough that they WANT to see it, I want them to be terrified to NOT see it!" Or words to that effect, been a long time since i watched it.

Now, THAT is modern publicity, marketing, propaganda, public relations, whatever term you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clara007 and Gordy
Jan 2015
MD
Hmmm....not sure if I agree or disagree, but here are a couple of points.
The article is from 2018 and I would have preferred something more recent because a LOT has happened in advertising and outrage since Sept 2018.
I have never been "outraged" by a commercial, but I know people who are constantly upset. Most of them are conservatives who seem to have a low tolerance level and very little logic. Examples: Blaming Colin Kaepernick for Nike's decision to pull the Betsy Ross shoes. Starbucks holiday (not Christmas) cups.
But...I do not blame social media--for anything. I like hearing what people think--good and bad. It kind of keeps me centered.
Yea Idk. Is it really fair to say that it is mostly conservatives who perpetuate this? I mean yea conservatives do have a tendency to get outraged about everything, but so do liberals, leftists, and SJWs. Both sides of the cultural divide are guilty of this.

I mean SJWs and liberals get offended about silly things like a Pepsi ad, Ariana Grande getting a tan, and pretty much anything Donald Trump says.

Jan 2015
MD
Good post. My only arguement might be that if anything moves product better than outrage it is fear.
And let's face it, a political candidate or ideaology is just another "product" to sell to someone.
It's "buy MY product" OR you won't be as pretty, or sucessful or as healthy or as skinny or as safe, etc. etc. etc. as you could be (fear).
It is every sales person or marketers dream to be able to change his product, at least in the minds of his target market, from a WANT into a NEED.

A humorous example I enjoy I take from the 1988 movie Scrooged, starring Bill Murray. He plays a TV executive promoting a new Christmas show. One of his executive (Bobcat Goldthwait) tells him that some little old lady has died of a heart attack after viewing one of the over-the-top commercials promoting the movie. Murry thinks this is great, and after Goldthwait's character says that he thinks a lot of people really want to see the movie already Murry throws him against a wall and screams, "It's not enough that they WANT to see it, I want them to be terrified to NOT see it!" Or words to that effect, been a long time since i watched it.

Now, THAT is modern publicity, marketing, propaganda, public rwlations, whatever term you like.
Tbh outrage and fear are pretty intertwined.

Reactions: Hollywood
Dec 2015
Arizona
Yea Idk. Is it really fair to say that it is mostly conservatives who perpetuate this? I mean yea conservatives do have a tendency to get outraged about everything, but so do liberals, leftists, and SJWs. Both sides of the cultural divide are guilty of this.
I mean SJWs and liberals get offended about silly things like a Pepsi ad, Ariana Grande getting a tan, and pretty much anything Donald Trump says.
You could be right. I haven't seen a poll or survey. Maybe there's something out there?
As far as Trump is concerned, THAT'S a different kettle of fish. No matter WHO is the president--no matter what party--no matter when in history--they are going to get blasted by people on both sides of the aisle and RIGHTLY so.
As I stated in another thread, TRUMP WORKS FOR ME....and as long as he is working for ME....I get to call the shots and if that includes calling him an asshat---then so be it. That is exactly what the public SHOULD be doing.
There's nothing to be done about people getting offended. Most of it passes and life goes on until the NEXT offensive thingy comes along. That's where we are as a culture.
My philosophy is 'don't sweat the small stuff' and almost everything is small stuff.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Way back when I was in university and had to take an arts course I, like most science nerds and jocks took Sociology 101. Our university didn't have a rocks for jocks course so the Sociology was the default. Basically it was known that if you showed up and managed to write your name correctly on the exam booklet you'd get a pass.

About the only thing I remember from the course was a study where people, when offered the choice of, for example 10 different toothpaste brands would choose the one most familiar to them. So the conclusion was that seeing the brand name often, and ways that are noticable were the keys to marketing success. At that time they suggested that having irritating or really stupid ads was the way to go because those were definitely noticed and remembers. Ads that outrage strikes me as just an extension of that.

Remember, my first year of university was more than a few years ago.:lol::lol:

Nov 2012
nirvana

[...]

Nowadays? Rush Limbaugh has been doing it since 1987. Rupert Murdoch has been doing it longer than that.

Now there is an entire AM radio poutrage industry nationwide. Then if that isn’t enough poutrage for the mental midgets in their daily commutes, they have all of the poutrage television on poutrage central Fox News, when they get home.

Reactions: Hollywood
Jul 2019
Georgia
Nowadays? Rush Limbaugh has been doing it since 1987. Rupert Murdoch has been doing it longer than that.

Now there is an entire AM radio poutrage industry nationwide. Then if that isn’t enough poutrage for the mental midgets in their daily commutes, they have all of the poutrage television on poutrage central Fox News, when they get home.
I enjoyed the documentary "The Brainwashing of my Dad" that covered this issue extensively.

I, too, was brought up in a Rush-listening household, the pain is all too familiar.