Party of Morals and Values

Jul 2019
Georgia
here's a pretty wild story on a slap fight between blockhead Gaetz and some other Florida Republican

cliff's notes

guy posts picture with Sharpton

blockhead gets bent out of shape (he's buds with a lot white nationalists you see)

guy reminds blockhead of his point system

blockhead says "nah-uh that was your daddy"

guy reminds blockhead of his DUI

blockhead comes back with "oh yeah? I'm bff's with trump"

^ ladies and gents, today's party of morals and values ^

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
While both sides are clamoring to see which party is the party of morals and values, I remain conflicted and confused.

Whose morals and whose values are we talking about?

From my perspective, it's like watching children fighting on a playground and, at the end of the day, neither party is about any morals or values predicated upon what this country was founded on. Adding insult to injury, watching both sides torpedo America, it just looks like one hand washing the other. I cannot, in good conscience, endorse or tolerate the actions of either party right now and I'm really pissed off at looking at yet another election cycle, choosing between the lesser of two evils.

Reactions: imaginethat

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
While both sides are clamoring to see which party is the party of morals and values, I remain conflicted and confused.

Whose morals and whose values are we talking about?

From my perspective, it's like watching children fighting on a playground and, at the end of the day, neither party is about any morals or values predicated upon what this country was founded on. Adding insult to injury, watching both sides torpedo America, it just looks like one hand washing the other. I cannot, in good conscience, endorse or tolerate the actions of either party right now and I'm really pissed off at looking at yet another election cycle, choosing between the lesser of two evils.
I do agree for the most part.

Think about it this way: Which is the greater of two evils?

Imho, the Rs without question get that prize at this point in time, operating almost 100 percent from alternative facts, 100 percent lacking in introspection, and now making a real mockery out of the impeachment process, unashamedly announcing to the world that they have no intention of honoring their oaths and conducting a fair hearing ... after denying the public the testimony of key witnesses.

In this chapter of the Book of the USA, the Rs are the villains.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker

Think about it this way: Which is the greater of two evils?

Imho, the Rs without question get that prize at this point in time, operating almost 100 percent from alternative facts, 100 percent lacking in introspection, and now making a real mockery out of the impeachment process, unashamedly announcing to the world that they have no intention of honoring their oaths and conducting a fair hearing ... after denying the public the testimony of key witnesses.

In this chapter of the Book of the USA, the Rs are the villains.
In the big picture, you are only weighing a couple of examples that make the Rs look bad. I can name at least a dozen things the Rs are doing to destroy America and a dozen that the Ds are doing that are destroying this country. Adding insult to injury, they need each other's legislation to be passed before either program works.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I think part of Newt's expansion of Nixon's Southern Strategy was to play up the "morals and values" thing because I remember Repubs preaching that like crazy when I was growing up

"oh those Dem hooligans, cheating on their wives, (((((((smoking drugs)))))))), everything else! protect your children!"

pull in the Southern Baptist pearl clutchers to the Repub party.

maybe it wasn't as bad in other parts of the country, but here, we were raised that Repubs are good moral Christians, and Dems are immoral dope-smoking orgy-having hooligans.

so it's kind of nice to see all of that crashing down.

Reactions: imaginethat

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
In the big picture, you are only weighing a couple of examples that make the Rs look bad. I can name at least a dozen things the Rs are doing to destroy America and a dozen that the Ds are doing that are destroying this country. Adding insult to injury, they need each other's legislation to be passed before either program works.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Maybe this is just one of my little quirks, but I'm sick to death of this 'both political parties are scum' hashtag deal.
I'm willing to admit that politics is a dirty game and there are oodles of dirty players, but both US parties are NOT equally bad. They are not the same.
Lately, it seems that the best thing to do (to placate others) is to just say both parties are blood-sucking parasites that have NO morals or values. Apparently it makes people feel cozy and smug all over as if they have finally solved the mystery of the universe, except for the fact that IT IS NOT TRUE.
Sure Sure. Both suffer from chronic corruption; both are beholden to special interests; both hold intensely interventionist views on foreign policy; both have candidates who tend to get amnesia as to their campaign promises once in office.
But---there are vast differences in our political parties, the constituents they represent, the goals they further, and the reasons they strive for those goals. Which segment of our population is opposed to taxing the rich--the corporations--the "haves"?
Which segment of the population opposes universal healthcare? Which party demonizes social programs, public schools, unions, climate change? Which party delights in denigrating LGBTQ citizens, minorities and women? Which party CLAIMS to be the party of fiscal responsibility and family values but does NOT practice either one? Which party is the party OF Christian LOVE and FAITH---the Golden Rule--the 10 Commandments but completely ignores them?
Which party repeatedly reminds us that POOR folks are POOR because they're probably lazy and that everyone wants a hand-out, not a hand-up? AND which party didn't shed a single TEAR when 20 six-yr old children were murdered at Sandy Hook and then proudly stood by the 2nd Amendment without offering to even sit down at the table to discuss it? Which party wants to choose what a woman does with her body, wants to INSTRUCT HER in 'birthin' her babies'? Which party belongs to the privileged white man--the weak man's idea of a strong man? Which party supports bully tactics and a president who employs them?

Those are just some of the differences in our two political parties. If by now, you haven't decided what you defend and what you don't then I pity you. There's a huge gulf between the two parties.
In fact, they are NOTHING alike--at all.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
Maybe this is just one of my little quirks, but I'm sick to death of this 'both political parties are scum' hashtag deal.
I'm willing to admit that politics is a dirty game and there are oodles of dirty players, but both US parties are NOT equally bad. They are not the same.
Lately, it seems that the best thing to do (to placate others) is to just say both parties are blood-sucking parasites that have NO morals or values. Apparently it makes people feel cozy and smug all over as if they have finally solved the mystery of the universe, except for the fact that IT IS NOT TRUE.
Sure Sure. Both suffer from chronic corruption; both are beholden to special interests; both hold intensely interventionist views on foreign policy; both have candidates who tend to get amnesia as to their campaign promises once in office.
But---there are vast differences in our political parties, the constituents they represent, the goals they further, and the reasons they strive for those goals. Which segment of our population is opposed to taxing the rich--the corporations--the "haves"?
Which segment of the population opposes universal healthcare? Which party demonizes social programs, public schools, unions, climate change? Which party delights in denigrating LGBTQ citizens, minorities and women? Which party CLAIMS to be the party of fiscal responsibility and family values but does NOT practice either one? Which party is the party OF Christian LOVE and FAITH---the Golden Rule--the 10 Commandments but completely ignores them?
Which party repeatedly reminds us that POOR folks are POOR because they're probably lazy and that everyone wants a hand-out, not a hand-up? AND which party didn't shed a single TEAR when 20 six-yr old children were murdered at Sandy Hook and then proudly stood by the 2nd Amendment without offering to even sit down at the table to discuss it? Which party wants to choose what a woman does with her body, wants to INSTRUCT HER in 'birthin' her babies'? Which party belongs to the privileged white man--the weak man's idea of a strong man? Which party supports bully tactics and a president who employs them?

Those are just some of the differences in our two political parties. If by now, you haven't decided what you defend and what you don't then I pity you. There's a huge gulf between the two parties.
In fact, they are NOTHING alike--at all.
I read your post twice so that I would not misinterpret anything. Now, I'd like to respond and hope that you read this and consider it carefully.

By way of example as you did, I see the Democrats and Republicans as being the same because the Democrats want a Universal Background Check. Now, let's forget the fact that background checks don't work, but the Democrats also claim they don't like National ID (at least they infer it by way of opposing voter registration cards and such like.) So, the only way to justify the Universal Background Check is if the government invades your privacy 24 / 7 / 365 and knows every move you make and everything you've ever done.

That is where the Republican Party comes in. Their party introduced and passed the so - called "Patriot Act" and the National ID / REAL ID Act - E Verify. Then there was NO EXCUSE for background checks not to work. That was one hand washing the other. Yet fail they did. The mass shootings on military installations were done by people that underwent extensive background checks as have many other shooters in the post Brady Bill / National ID and Patriot Act surveillance, record keeping and monitoring / registration of human beings.

Both sides are the same as I have offered legislation to stop mass shootings and a dramatic reduction in gun violence across the board without gun control. Without a single question from either side, both denounced me and the plan without even hearing a synopsis of it. Neither side wanted a discussion. The fact that the solution did not include the "gun control" mantra, the idea was nixed because it wasn't about control. The Republicans, unable to understand the difference between civil and criminal law, nixed the idea because it calls for more civil law involvement - actually a revamping of the system which does not include any new powers they don't already have and no new bureaucracies. But, the solution don't fit on a bumper sticker or fit in a tweet. Both sides think they will prevail by way of a popularity vote and only want what they want, NOT any reduction in firearm violence. Ironically, Trump wants gun control. The left just don't want him to be able to claim credit for it.

Yes, the Republicans do fight against the things you perceive as evil, but isn't it equally true that the left has declared an outright war against the posterity of the founders / framers? There are the wars to remove Nativity scenes, public displays of the Ten Commandments, and removal of crosses - even in grave yards. The left wants to change the names of street signs and the names of schools; they want to remove statues, memorials, plaques, flags, and monuments.. even the faces on our currency in order to erase a certain people from the pages of history. Seems to me, both sides are trying to rid the country of the other.

And while you're complaining that the people who support Trump (actually you infer that) don't live by the Ten Commandments, the liberals want the Ten Commandments removed when Trump and his followers need their laws repeated to them daily. Fact is, Moses was only gone for 40 days receiving those Ten Commandments and in that span of time the people resorted to worshiping the Golden Calf. The left defends reprobates and knows it; the right is composed of reprobates wanting to be led out of the spiritual darkness. What purpose does it serve to deny them that Right? And, before I sign off... how about how much alike the Democrats and Republicans are on immigration? It's all one hand washing the other - all the way to One World Government.