Patriot

Dec 2015
Arizona
Here's one thing I've said for awhile that I hope people on the left agree with. If and when a democrat is sitting in the white house again, I hope all media outlets treat said democrat as viciously as Trump. Don't get me wrong, Trump deserves the harsh criticisms he's received. But most media outlets treated Obama with kid gloves and I hope they don't do the same with the next democratic president.
IF and I emphasize the word *IF* the press was kind to Obama......? There were reasons. Good, actually GREAT, reasons.
For starters Obama had three really good press secretaries and regular press conferences, allowing journalists almost unlimited opportunities to ask questions and get respectful answers. According to some sources, Obama probably had the smartest, most finely calibrated press operation in White House history. The press secretaries had a keen sense of humor--usually a calm, cool demeanor. They were not insulting or demeaning.
The scandals & lies were limited, unlike Trump. Comments by the president and his staff were intelligent, measured, thoughtful, and laid-back....almost an atmosphere of "nothing to see here, folks".
As Obama said:
“I complained plenty about Fox News, but you never heard me threaten to shut them down, or call them ‘enemies of the people.’”
This just comes down to respect and intelligence. Period. Trump has verbally assaulted the press for 3 years. He's been caught in so many lies--so many scandals--the press has every right to slam him for that.
The press is supposed to be the watch-dog and they are supposed to question everything a sitting president does and says. Let's hope the next president understands that, accepts that and DOESN'T need that.
The Trump presidency has been exhausting.

Reactions: RNG and imaginethat

LTP

Mar 2018
Grayson
The media isn't meant to be quiet. When it is we won't have a democracy anymore. Dictators shut everything down. We don't need a ruler we need a system that functions. Do we need change? Most definitely! With the inception of transparency from individuals and media coverage, hopefully we won't go down
the road blindly. The presidency is becoming a figurehead at best. Like a King. We can't put all of our hopes in one person, and no appointed official should be granted for life, like a Supreme Court Justice. No power should be overwhelming and unquestioned!
Your moniker confuses me. America was never intended to be a democracy. Today, even the RINO Party cannot say the word Republic. They settle for the bastardized form - democratic republic. There are no real patriots any longer. Everyone wants a democracy and our forefathers hated that concept.

Reactions: Gdjjr
Sep 2019
Texas
Your moniker confuses me. America was never intended to be a democracy. Today, even the RINO Party cannot say the word Republic. They settle for the bastardized form - democratic republic. There are no real patriots any longer. Everyone wants a democracy and our forefathers hated that concept.
Oh there are Patriots- just very few for Liberty- they believe their patriotism is best for everyone- Hillary said one thing right- the best patriotism is dissent- the problem with that is people like her believe in only dissenting when a Republican is in charge, or up for election or being re elected- and groupies fall in line with her, or whoever the opposition is- it's a sad state of affairs that so many are against Liberty- but, it is instilled in our psyche, from our first cognizant moments on earth exacerbated with the so-called education system which has become, at it's core, the preachers of compliance for acceptance into the group- people are afraid of Liberty because they're told it's harmful to society with cherry picked evidence to prove it- vs the fact that cherry picking isn't really inclusive, or objective- to that, they are patriotic- let someone else be responsible, tell me what I should do and think- religiously. Politicians accept the role they've created for themselves as absolvers of responsibility- until the fix didn't- then it's the other teams fault- that is being patriotic to the groupies.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
To start I have no political favorites. I feel I'm a good judge of character. I have one simple question. Would Republicans still be backing Trump as he is if he was a Democrat?
I think not. Backing someone because of party lines is as not American, it's childish at best. I would like to see reporters pose that question to all Republicans in office, and
demand a simple answer. This isn't about whats good for America, it's about whats good for them personally. Let's all grow up and heal this Country, or we just might lose it!
Well anyway, welcome. I've cleaned up your intro thread, and offer an apology for the rancor.

I hope you'll post. You sound like a reasonable person.