Pay gap between college grads and everyone else at a record

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
College graduates, on average, earned 56% more than high school grads in 2015, according to data compiled by the Economic Policy Institute. That was up from 51% in 1999 and is the largest such gap in EPI's figures dating to 1973.

Since the Great Recession ended in 2009, college-educated workers have captured most of the new jobs and enjoyed pay gains. Non-college grads, by contrast, have faced dwindling job opportunities and an overall 3% decline in income, EPI's data shows.

"The post-Great Recession economy has divided the country along a fault line demarcated by college education," Anthony Carnevale, director of Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce, said in a report last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lege-grads-and-everyone-else-record/96493348/

Apr 2013
Left coast
And that is sad, perpetuating the push to have people with little desire and no need to get themselves in debt by getting a degree.

Our society needs some way of establishing a recognition of trade/tech schools.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
And that is sad, perpetuating the push to have people with little desire and no need to get themselves in debt by getting a degree.

so only middle class kids get to go to university?

Apr 2013
Left coast
so only middle class kids get to go to university?
I don't see how you get that from my post. No, what I am getting at is that employers should prioritise their needs and kids should be encouraged to consider other options. We have created a self-perpetuating situation of waste of kid's time, waste of resources and needlessly imposing debt burdens when it isn't really needed.

Dec 2015
Arizona

I think that message is being heard...at least by the recent H.S. grads who've I've stayed in touch with. Parents are also getting smarter. They are encouraging their college-bound kids to start at the community college--get their basic 2-year requirements, THEN attend state schools. IT IS possible to get a college degree without a mountain of debt. It takes smart planning, more time and really hard work, but it can be done.
Some of my previous students went to vocational school, started working and then took night classes to get their 4 yr degree.
Some get college credits in high school---a leg-up for college. One of my favorite stories is a young lady who was determined to be a veterinarian, so her part-time job (H.S. senior year) was working for the local vet AND taking evening classes to become a vet assistant which she DID in college to pay for college. SMART KIDDO.
Our #2 son had 12 college credits when he graduated from high school. After freshman year of college, he took a year off--worked for a landscaping company--then went back to school and finished with very little debt.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN

So you support the GOP plan for education and higher education.

FYI the reason people that have a trade cannot find higher wages in the US is due to illegal immigration..

Dec 2015
Arizona
So you support the GOP plan for education and higher education.

FYI the reason people that have a trade cannot find higher wages in the US is due to illegal immigration..
Hilarious! I don't suppose you have anything to back up that statement? Illegals are taking trade jobs?? From U.S. citizens? LMAO

Mar 2008
australia
is this just because employers have got lazy and simply decide who gets the job based on whether they have a degree or not?

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
is this just because employers have got lazy and simply decide who gets the job based on whether they have a degree or not?
since when i the private sector lazy? private business useually works on merit if someone is advanced because of a degree but lacks ability to produce, i dont think an inc,mpetant person would remain where they are for long, in a bureacracy maybe so in a cmetitive company logically it thnk that is much less likely