Pearl Harbor

Dec 2015
Arizona
Today is the 76th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. Just in case anyone is interested.

I've had such a crazy day, I almost forgot. Thank you for the reminder. Mr. Clara and I went to Hawaii (cruising) two years ago and really enjoyed the Pearl Harbor tour. Very interesting and emotionally moving.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I have often wondered what would have happened if the people at the Japanese Embassy had been better typists and the Japanese declaration of war had been delivered prior to the attack on Pearl, as was the original intent.
Sure, we would have STILL declared war obviously. But would the sheer hatred on our side been so complete, so vicious?

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I have often wondered what would have happened if the people at the Japanese Embassy had been better typists and the Japanese declaration of war had been delivered prior to the attack on Pearl, as was the original intent.
Sure, we would have STILL declared war obviously. But would the sheer hatred on our side been so complete, so vicious?
What would have happened if instead of attacking Pearl Harbor, the Japanese had attacked the tank farm on the hill above Pearl Harbor, and destroyed the oil and gasoline supplies.

The US Navy in the Pacific would have to operate out of California, there would have been no bloody shirt to wave.
It would have been difficult if not impossible to unite the nation over an oil fire.
And the effect on naval operations in the Pacific would have been more devastating than the result of the Pearl Harbor attack, an intact ship without fuel can't go any farther than a sunken ship. The carriers that were victorious at Midway, would have been tied up without fuel.

When asked after the war, the Japanese war planners said it never crossed their minds, they couldn't imagine the "Rich Nation" without oil.

Last edited: