Pearl Harbor

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I didn't say anything about REPLACING IT. hello We shipped fuel to the USSR during the war long before D-Day, we were shipping fuel to the UK in 1940 (we didn't enter the war until 1941... getting fuel from point a to point b was not an issue with us.
Time is an issue.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
I
The effect on naval operations, may have been more or less or the same as the attack that at occurred. But the political situation in the US would have: been very different.
The antiwar sentiment would not be as easy to overcome with pictures of a fire that produced no casualties.
They attacked the Philippines at exactly the same time, there were more than enough US casualties without Pearl Harbor to overcome any anti-war feelings.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
You mean the 3rd attack. Without the knowledge to the location of the American carriers coupled with much heavier losses of aircraft and crew by the IJN during the second attack, they had to withdraw in order to protect the fleet.
I stand corrected

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
They attacked the Philippines at exactly the same time, there were more than enough US casualties without Pearl Harbor to overcome any anti-war feelings.
I agree. And yet the war cry throughout the Pacific campaign was "Remember Pearl Harbor" and NOT "remember " Wake Island or the Philippines, etc. etc.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
We did surrender the Philippines.
I know that..Besides the Philippines, Guam and Wake Island were lost...plus the British and Dutch holdings,Borneo, Sumatra, Hong Kong, Malaya, Dutch East Indies and Burma...Pretty well the only thing that didn't fall before the battle of Coral Sea (May 1942) was Australia, and Half of New Guinea....

Sep 2015
earth
I didn't say anything about REPLACING IT. hello We shipped fuel to the USSR during the war long before D-Day, we were shipping fuel to the UK in 1940 (we didn't enter the war until 1941... getting fuel from point a to point b was not an issue with us.
1 in 26 mariners serving aboard merchant ships in World WW II died in the line of duty, suffering a greater percentage of war-related deaths than all other U.S. services. Casualties were kept secret during the War to keep information about their success from the enemy and to attract and keep mariners at sea.
American Merchant Marine in World War 2

I believe they would disagree with you about it not being an issue. Many of these brave men belonged to the Sailors Union of the Pacific and other Communist organized worker unions.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
They were capitalist pigs. Capitalism fueled with fascism caused that war.
Of course the Soviet-German non-aggression pact signed in August 1939 in which the Soviets agreed to ignore any German attack on Poland in return for a share of Polish territory had nothing to do with it. :angry:

Last edited: