Pelosi encourages illegals to buy guns.

Apr 2014
redacted
Is that in the Second Amendment?
I'm just looking at the words, and it seems like they want the regulated militia to be able to own weapons....
An understandable position by someone who believes the Constitution gives us our rights.

For those who understand the Constitution limits government, they also believe everyone has an inherent right of self-defense. However, as soon as an illegal attempts to buy a gun they should be arrested and deported since they are illegally in the country. Period.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Strongly disagreed but thanks for the personal attack. IIRC, in California, if a father lets a son shoot his gun without a background check it is considered an "illegal transfer" and it's exactly what was proposed here:
Yup. I stand by that position.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Question ??? How many illegals actually try to buy weapons legally ?? Is this really an issue ?? How many illegals are going to walk into a dealer and try to buy a weapon knowing they have to give name and SS number to purchase ?? How many would want a record of such a purchase when it would still be illegal for them to have the weapon ?? This sounds a lot like one of those false narratives where they create an issue out of thin air just so they can get the opposition on the record as being against it.

Apr 2014
redacted
Yup. I stand by that position.
You know such laws just turn innocent people into criminals and do not do a damn thing to 1) help the mentally ill much less stop them from accessing firearms and 2) stop criminals. It just leads to more oppression.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
You know such laws just turn innocent people into criminals and do not do a damn thing to 1) help the mentally ill much less stop them from accessing firearms and 2) stop criminals. It just leads to more oppression.
1. Can you explain to me how requiring a background check turns people into criminals?
2. I'm married to a social worker so I 100% agree we need to improve out mental health system. It's a shame the GOP's message has basically been "it's not guns, it's mental health, but we're cutting funding for mental health." Scott Walker, former WI governor, did this repeatedly. My wife's last job was cut from the budget as a result of defunding for long-term mental health support.
3. I agree criminals are a major problem. That's why I think we need to work on the recidivism problem in this country and not just send people to jail longer and longer.

Apr 2014
redacted
1. Can you explain to me how requiring a background check turns people into criminals?
2. I'm married to a social worker so I 100% agree we need to improve out mental health system. It's a shame the GOP's message has basically been "it's not guns, it's mental health, but we're cutting funding for mental health." Scott Walker, former WI governor, did this repeatedly. My wife's last job was cut from the budget as a result of defunding for long-term mental health support.
3. I agree criminals are a major problem. That's why I think we need to work on the recidivism problem in this country and not just send people to jail longer and longer.
1. A father lets his 16 year old son shoot the father's .22 bolt action without getting a background check on the son first. Instant criminal.

2. So the GOP doesn't support health care in general much less mental health care in particular so your solution is to move us closer to an authoritarian state? I disagree, but, as this forum proves, there are lots of people on this forum who want the US to be a dictatorship; they just have different reasons for doing so.

3. Dude, you're advocating creating more criminals just so you can rehabilitate them. LOL

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
1. A father lets his 16 year old son shoot the father's .22 bolt action without getting a background check on the son first. Instant criminal.

2. So the GOP doesn't support health care in general much less mental health care in particular so your solution is to move us closer to an authoritarian state? I disagree, but, as this forum proves, there are lots of people on this forum who want the US to be a dictatorship; they just have different reasons for doing so.

3. Dude, you're advocating creating more criminals just so you can rehabilitate them. LOL
1. A father lets his 13 year old son drive a car. That's a crime. Why is one okay and the other not?

2. I simply stated that our current mental health system is broken. I did not put forth any solution to mental health. How do you feel I'm suggesting moving towards an authoritarian state when I did not put forth any solution?

3. I'm advocating for rehibilitating criminals, not just lock them up and throw away the key.

Apr 2014
redacted
1. A father lets his 13 year old son drive a car. That's a crime. Why is one okay and the other not?

2. I simply stated that our current mental health system is broken. I did not put forth any solution to mental health. How do you feel I'm suggesting moving towards an authoritarian state when I did not put forth any solution?

3. I'm advocating for rehibilitating criminals, not just lock them up and throw away the key.
1.Thank you for confirming you'd make it a crime for a father to let his 16 year old son (or daughter) shoot his .22 rifle. @imaginethat had not just accused me of hyperbole, but making the most hyperbolic post of the month. You just confirmed my post was correct. Thanks!

2. Yes it is broken. The authoritarian state comment was related to you criminalizing fathers for letting their 16 year old sons shoot their .22.

3. Great since, with laws like yours, you'd be creating a lot more people to rehabilitate.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
1. No problem. Glad I could clarify

2. Gotcha

3. Well that's one way to look at it

PS I hope this isn't coming across as hostile. The 1, 2, 3 format admitadly is snooty, but it's the most effective way for me to stay on topic and lay out my points.