People with lower emotional intelligence are more likely to hold right-wing views, study finds

Nov 2005
California
To be clear, this is not saying that all or most right-wingers have "lower emotional intelligence".
It's just saying that if you look at a group of people who have "lower emotional intelligence", they are more likely to hold right-wing views.

New research from Belgium provides evidence that deficits in emotion understanding and emotion management are related to right-wing and prejudiced attitudes. The study has been published in the journal Emotion.

“I have a lifelong interest in political psychology and in political ideology in particular. The observation that left-wing and right-wing adherents tend to differ on so many psychological characteristics is amazing,” said study author Alain Van Hiel, a professor at the University of Ghent.

“Many scholars have investigated the cognitive basis of ideology in general, and right-wing ideological attitudes in particular. In the present study, we wanted to investigate if a similar relationship would exist for emotional abilities.”

In two studies, the researchers assessed the emotional abilities and political ideology of 983 Belgian undergraduate students. The second study also examined the participants’ cognitive ability. Emotional ability was measured with three tests: the Situational Test of Emotional Understanding, the Situational Test of Emotion Management, and the Geneva Emotion Recognition Test.

The researchers found that individuals with weaker emotional abilities — particularly emotional understanding and management — tended to score higher on a measure of right-wing authoritarianism and social dominance orientation.

Right-wing authoritarianism is a personality trait that describes the tendency to submit to political authority and be hostile towards other groups, while social dominance orientation is a measure of a person’s preference for inequality among social groups.

“The results of this study were univocal. People who endorse authority and strong leaders and who do not mind inequality — the two basic dimensions underlying right-wing political ideology — show lower levels of emotional abilities,” Van Hiel told PsyPost.

Those with lower emotional and cognitive abilities were also more likely to agree with blatantly prejudiced statements such as “The White race is superior to all other races.”
People with lower emotional intelligence are more likely to hold right-wing views, study finds

Jul 2019
Georgia
makes sense

I used to be a righty-tighty, and didn't have much "real world" experience,
then some life-altering events happened (which I would wish on no one)
but it not only woke me up to how the word works, and made me a better human being,
a shift in ideology naturally came along with that

Dec 2015
Arizona
There are conservatives and then there are CONSERVATIVES--political zealots. We used to be a country of moderates but that is long gone. I was raised by conservatives (mostly moderate) but Southern conservatives and you can draw your own conclusions as to WHAT that means. So, I've spent most of my life surrounded by family and friends who think I'm pretty darn "loopy", but here's what I've gleaned along the way.
Conservatives start with certain premises that are rarely compromised. Here are some of those unrelenting cornerstones:
1. They are the true patriots.
2. Political Correctness is some kind of a communist/leftwing plot.
3. Opponents are traitors.
4. Progressives ideas will destroy this nation.
5. Big government is the ruination of America.
6. The constitution is a dead document and should never be changed or amended in any way.
7. The Framers walked on water.
8. BIG government will eventually take their guns and 2nd amendment rights.
9. America was and should always be a white, Christian nation--see point #7.
10. Immigrants are not to be trusted and our borders should be essentially closed.
11. Protesting of ANY kind should not be tolerated.
12. The US Constitution is perfect in every way except when it allows free speech and lawful protest.
13. Minorities should be marginalized and know their place.
14. Men, women and children who do not WORK and can't afford healthcare should never be supported with tax payer $$.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
To be clear, this is not saying that all or most right-wingers have "lower emotional intelligence".
It's just saying that if you look at a group of people who have "lower emotional intelligence", they are more likely to hold right-wing views.

Definitely. The lack of empathy is very prevalent in the right. Many are selfish, greedy, only care about issues when it affects them and their kind personally. Compared to liberals who fight for people not like them, fight for other people not like them to help others. Many rural folks may like to think they are so nice and neighborly, and they may be to their own kind, but an indicator of a truly good person is how they treat others not like them.

Some examples of this lack of emapthy
1. Many didn't care about the crack epidemic when it was harming the black community in the 80s. Now that drugs (opioid, meth) are effecting white rural folks, suddenly its a huge problem that needs addressing
2. Many on the right claimed that inner city working poor should just "move, find a better job" but when their manufacturing and coal jobs went away, suddenly the govenrment must do something to help them.
3. Just like how they have no problem denying funds to other states, like disaster funds, but of course no problem taking that money when it affects them.

Dec 2012
California
Apr 2019
America
Definitely. The lack of empathy is very prevalent in the right. Many are selfish, greedy, only care about issues when it affects them and their kind personally. Compared to liberals who fight for people not like them, fight for other people not like them to help others. Many rural folks may like to think they are so nice and neighborly, and they may be to their own kind, but an indicator of a truly good person is how they treat others not like them.

Some examples of this lack of emapthy
1. Many didn't care about the crack epidemic when it was harming the black community in the 80s. Now that drugs (opioid, meth) are effecting white rural folks, suddenly its a huge problem that needs addressing
2. Many on the right claimed that inner city working poor should just "move, find a better job" but when their manufacturing and coal jobs went away, suddenly the govenrment must do something to help them.
3. Just like how they have no problem denying funds to other states, like disaster funds, but of course no problem taking that money when it affects them.
1.Crack epidemic and no one cared? How about Black on Black crime? I do not see liberals doing a thing about that. That is a lack of empathy
2. Who took those coal and manufacturing jobs away? That is a lack of empathy and weakened this country.
3. The states they are trying to deny those funds to are full of sanctuary cities. Disaster funds go where they are needed. Illegals from those cities are killing Americans. That is a lack of empathy and an insult to the rule of law.

Dec 2012
California
There are conservatives and then there are CONSERVATIVES--political zealots. We used to be a country of moderates but that is long gone. I was raised by conservatives (mostly moderate) but Southern conservatives and you can draw your own conclusions as to WHAT that means. So, I've spent most of my life surrounded by family and friends who think I'm pretty darn "loopy", but here's what I've gleaned along the way.
Conservatives start with certain premises that are rarely compromised. Here are some of those unrelenting cornerstones:
1. They are the true patriots.
2. Political Correctness is some kind of a communist/leftwing plot.
3. Opponents are traitors.
4. Progressives ideas will destroy this nation.
5. Big government is the ruination of America.
6. The constitution is a dead document and should never be changed or amended in any way.
7. The Framers walked on water.
8. BIG government will eventually take their guns and 2nd amendment rights.
9. America was and should always be a white, Christian nation--see point #7.
10. Immigrants are not to be trusted and our borders should be essentially closed.
11. Protesting of ANY kind should not be tolerated.
12. The US Constitution is perfect in every way except when it allows free speech and lawful protest.
13. Minorities should be marginalized and know their place.
14. Men, women and children who do not WORK and can't afford healthcare should never be supported with tax payer $$.
If that's what you've gleaned, maybe your family and friends have an insight into your thinking that you've missed.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Google defines emotional intelligence as 'the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.'
So...BOOM! Right out of the gate we're talking about the ability to handle 1)One's emotions 2) Interpersonal relationships...AND the word EMPATHETIC is part of the definition.

Is it just me or is anyone else choking/spitting up at the implications of this??
Example which continues to pop up on Facebook: Kaepernick, the flag and National Anthem...and YES! The Trump supporters are STILL raging about the whole deal....which brings us back to emotions and interpersonal relationships. My conservative friends are *OUTRAGED* that I would support the 1st Amendment--peaceful protest.

BUT, wasn't/isn't it some of our Righthanders who CONSISTENTLY argue that it's the LEFT who are emotional wrecks about ridiculous issues such as healthcare, poverty, racism and the piss-poor leadership in MY/OUR WHouse?

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Google defines emotional intelligence as 'the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.'
So...BOOM! Right out of the gate we're talking about the ability to handle 1)One's emotions 2) Interpersonal relationships...AND the word EMPATHETIC is part of the definition.

Is it just me or is anyone else choking/spitting up at the implications of this??
Example which continues to pop up on Facebook: Kaepernick, the flag and National Anthem...and YES! The Trump supporters are STILL raging about the whole deal....which brings us back to emotions and interpersonal relationships. My conservative friends are *OUTRAGED* that I would support the 1st Amendment--peaceful protest.

BUT, wasn't/isn't it some of our Righthanders who CONSISTENTLY argue that it's the LEFT who are emotional wrecks about ridiculous issues such as healthcare, poverty, racism and the piss-poor leadership in MY/OUR WHouse?
They do say that about the left, because all they are capable of doing is projecting and deflecting. Nearly every stupid thing they try to pin on liberals actually describes them to a tee.

I had to look up what emotional intelligence really meant, and when I did I wasn't shocked. THe study perfectly described what I already knew