Perspective: Can anyone agree these numbers are very much alike?

Nov 2012
Colorado
Batch one #1

51,500,000 divided by 126 = .000244%
126 divided by 9137 = 1.4%

Batch #2

331,000,000 divided by 737 = .000222%
737 divided by 54,453 = 1.4%

Nov 2012
Colorado
Batch #1 is Korea
Batch #2 is USA

When put into proper perspective we are doing at least as well as Korea. All #'s are current from CDC, WHO.

Here's another tool for ya'll;

Feb 2020
dfw, texas
Batch #1 is Korea
Batch #2 is USA

When put into proper perspective we are doing at least as well as Korea. All #'s are current from CDC, WHO.

Here's another tool for ya'll;

i guess americans just have better virus fighting genes, because of our Founding Fathers. or it could be most of america is not very densely populated, outside of trump rallies, where almost all the population is dense. or it could be our average age is less than the average age of these EU countries. I have also heard the social customs in some countries, of kissing each other when meeting and more close contact in general, could be a factor. maybe all these countries have lots of people who are "close talkers." whatever it is, it would be better numbers if Trump had not downplayed what he had to know was a coming shit storm, calling democrats and real media who were telling the truth about how screwed up shit was about to become part of a "hoax" to hurt him politically, and acted like a president and got going fast and early to make available more masks and ventilators and respirators and come out for social distancing a month before he finally did.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
i guess americans just have better virus fighting genes, because of our Founding Fathers. or it could be most of america is not very densely populated, outside of trump rallies, where almost all the population is dense. or it could be our average age is less than the average age of these EU countries. I have also heard the social customs in some countries, of kissing each other when meeting and more close contact in general, could be a factor. maybe all these countries have lots of people who are "close talkers." whatever it is, it would be better numbers if Trump had not downplayed what he had to know was a coming shit storm, calling democrats and real media who were telling the truth about how screwed up shit was about to become part of a "hoax" to hurt him politically, and acted like a president and got going fast and early to make available more masks and ventilators and respirators and come out for social distancing a month before he finally did.
It is also important to understand we are at the BEGINNING of this NOT THE END. Try this comparison in a couple months.

Nov 2012
Colorado
It is also important to understand we are at the BEGINNING of this NOT THE END. Try this comparison in a couple months.
I know, but the death rate in Korea is still rising as well. I'm not trying to give a false narrative, just trying to keep a sensible perspective.
I'm one of those that reacts After the fact. Usually calm and rational til I've dealt with whatever needs dealing with. Then I sometimes get emotional. Worked well with raising my girls. :neutral: lol :upsidedown:

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Batch one #1

51,500,000 divided by 126 = .000244%
126 divided by 9137 = 1.4%

Batch #2

331,000,000 divided by 737 = .000222%
737 divided by 54,453 = 1.4%
No, because you are comparing numbers based on different points in the cycle.

Number of cases and number of deaths in S Korea are leveling off. In the US they are still climbing exponentially.

Reactions: goober and cwII

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Another thing I wonder about. Canada's current population is 37 million, the US is 331 million as you say. So for rough comparison I always multiply a Canadian stat by 10 to get a rough comparison. And this worked comparing CV cases and deaths in the early couple of months.

But about 3 weeks ago they started to diverge. As of this morning, Canada has 3,409 cases and 36 deaths. The US has 53,740 cases and 706 deaths. These are way off the factor of 10.

And Canada was way late to restricting foreigners into the country. We didn't even ban flights from China till recently.

The only difference I can see is that we have done way more testing per capita just as S. Korea has done way more testing per capita.

Any other ideas?