Plagiarism

Nov 2013
NM
Ink-stained wretches

Yep, it's a form of theft. Especially in the military, with a strict chain of command & hierarchy, & strict lines of accountability - plagiarism is a breach of faith. If Walsh needed more time then to finish his academic work, he should have asked for an extension.

It's too bad that Walsh is leaving Congress @ the end of his term. He served in NG for 33 years, led a battalion in Iraq. His battle experience would be helpful in forming defense & foreign policy in Congress. As a colonel in NG, I doubt that Walsh meets the criteria of Liberal/Progressive types from the OP. But he has to go - his political career suffered a self-inflicted - if not obvious - wound back when.

I don't care where it occurs, plagiarism is bad. Particularly among politicos, military, news people. Hardly anyone cares if a ditch digger plagiarizes - & why should we? What's he going to do - steal someone's digging method & pass it off as his own?

Writing non-fiction for a living carries a requirement of fidelity to the facts, & so do journalism, academics, reporting, etc. If someone can't be true to the facts, they need to find a more creative career & get out of Dodge ASAP. Before they cross lines that are better left uncrossed - NYT, ironically, had a string of reporters in the last few years who invented sources, took briefings from unauthorized gov. sources & reported them as legitimate sources, & so on. Those people were mostly drummed out, although the one has gone on to shill for the usual Right-wing think tanks et al. & yes, with the right set of credentials, she could have gone to work @ a Left-wing think tank instead.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
Yep, it's a form of theft. Especially in the military, with a strict chain of command & hierarchy, & strict lines of accountability - plagiarism is a breach of faith. If Walsh needed more time then to finish his academic work, he should have asked for an extension.

I don't care where it occurs, plagiarism is bad. Particularly among politicos, military, news people. Hardly anyone cares if a ditch digger plagiarizes - & why should we? What's he going to do - steal someone's digging method & pass it off as his own?

Writing for a living carries a requirement of fidelity to the facts, & so do journalism, academics, reporting, etc. If someone can't be true to the facts, they need to find a more creative career & get out of Dodge ASAP. Before they cross lines that are better left uncrossed - NYT had a string of reporters in the last few years who invented sources, took briefings from unauthorized gov. sources & reported them as legitimate sources, & so on. Those people were mostly drummed out, although the one has gone on to shill for the usual Right-wing think tanks et al.
When in school just a few years back...some gal went on and on with her plagiarism on expanding red dwarfs...without letting me get a cautionary word in. It was a subject I knew pretty well. Still, all yabber, no brain. Stupid, indeed. She should have read who the author was before she handed it in...to him. :blink:

Nov 2013
NM
To the cloud! (To the plasma?)

When in school just a few years back...some gal went on and on with her plagiarism on expanding red dwarfs...without letting me get a cautionary word in. It was a subject I knew pretty well. Still, all yabber, no brain. Stupid, indeed. She should have read who the author was before she handed it in...to him. :blink:
(My bold)

Ah, & so her grade vaporized along with her credibility?

Tough lesson. Perhaps she learned to @ least respect the Schwarzschild Radius?

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
(My bold)

Ah, & so her grade vaporized along with her credibility?

Tough lesson. Perhaps she learned to @ least respect the Schwarzschild Radius?
Yeah...like she was drawn into this plagiarism idea! Nope...she didn't get her grade altered...I think her meow got petted a bit. :lol: New idiom for "teacher's pet"...huh??? B)

What was FUNNY was that...well, she's a stunner on the eyes...so pretty much is inured to getting her own way (yes: sexist comment...but true, ladies)...but 100% of everyone knew what she did and waited for her to make an arse of herself. She did.........

Nov 2012
Chicago
Tony, I'm impressed, I knew you were a smartass, and now I know you're a Brainiac as well.:eek:

May 2018
USA
Yep, Plagiarism, seems to abide in the scholastic endeavors of Liberal/Progressive types; I wonder how many times Obama has been guilty of this during his stellar career both in H.S., at Harvard and while at the University of Chicago. Too bad his scholastic records are sealed, probably for National Security reasons.:lol:

Army War College Yanks Sen. John Walsh's Degree Over Plagiarism - NBC News
Yeah, because if one "liberal" was an academic cheat, then obviously ALL THE REST ARE.