Poker and work

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Flops, you are a teacher with 30 years under your belt. I have to say I respect that because you are a smart guy and would not be doing that if it wasn't something you truly loved and would do for free if you could afford to. Am I right?

However, you are also a gambler and I dare say a pretty damn good one too since you are still around to play and that is why I am writing you on this now.

Now for me, I hated having a job and saw going to work as the greatest invasion of privacy that there could be. For me, it felt like a life long human domestication program. You learn how to be a good pet. Every job I have ever taken starting from working in a warehouse al the way to be a being and international exec at a top fortune 100 company, I was given something called employee handbook that told me what I can wear, how I can talk, who I can and cannot talk to, what I can and cannot talk about, what time I can come and go and even when I may eat, piss and shit.

At first, when I was young, I thought it was all about gaining experience but then Years later I realized he problem with gaining experience from a job is that you usually just repeat the same limited experience over and over. You learn a lot in the beginning and then stagnate. This forces you to miss other experiences that would be much more valuable. And if your limited skill set ever becomes obsolete, then your experience won’t be worth squat. At one point I asked myself: "Will all the experience I have gathered at these places even be worth anything in 20 years? Will this position and others like it even still exist?" It seems to me that if I want to experience in life then I'll get it anyway just by living life. Then it dawned on me that the only experience I have gained in 20 years is one that I can only monetize by trading my time for money and putting myself in a position where all my income could be shut off in 2 seconds with the words: "You're fired."

That's when I got really scared and started panicking. Why am I only getting money for the time I am working? Why can't I make money all the time even when I am sleeping and why am I not diversifying where my stream of income is coming in from? Why just have 1 source and not 10 or 20?

I soon reorganized my thinking and quit my job and I think the rest, I think you know.

I am so happy that I have now joined the ranks of the unemployed and unemployable and will never look back. The idea that a job is the most secure way to generate income is just silly. You can’t have security if you don’t have control, and employees have the least control of anyone. If you’re an employee, then your real job title should be Professional Gambler.

What say you poker shark and teacher extraordinaire?

Feb 2020
Houston
Poker is for the money, Free. Teaching is what I love, it's what I do, it's what I am.

I'm retired the classroom, but I'm teaching teachers how to teach, which was my dream for a long time. I got two Masters and I was working on a PhD so I could be a professor but then life happened.

Poker is a side hustle for a part time income. I enjoy playing, but it also feels like work sometimes. Work in the sense statists mean it which is that sometimes there's things I rather be doing, but I keep doing the work to get something done.

Teaching creeps into my poker. I've been writing a book about it and suddenly the owner of a poker website whose forum I frequent announced he wanted to hire writers to write articles. So I took a couple of chapters I've already written, altered the forma to make accessible by a mellennial or Gen X who went to public school and viola! New side hustle is born.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
I have two bachelor's, one form UCI and the other from UCLA a Master from USC and an unfinished Ph.D. that I elected to stop. I was around 100k is student loan debt that I was able to pay off years ago. The education did nothing for me or my career. I have always been an autodidact and self-learning has done everything for me.

I couldn't get any of my degrees to pay off. My first job after getting my Master's was in some shabby office when the manager would put a 6-inch stack of paper on my desk every morning for me to process. After a week I noticed that my work wasn't even being recognized or even important so after that every morning I would just put the stack into the trashcan and no one even noticed. A week later I went to lunch and just never came back. For 10 years after that, I worked Mens' and Ladies' shoes for Norstrom and Macy's. Before the internet commission, retail sales was good income. one year I brought in $100k and averaged %65-70k for a long time.

My first job in corporate was as technical support but within a year, I got moved to IT, then IT manager and to the business development and on and on. And lastly, my OP.

Funny thing is I have absolutely no education in technology or business.

I hate it when people say poker or stock investing is just luck. If that is so then why do we always see the same few guys at the WOSP every year sitting at the final table?

WOSP is one of the greatest examples of equality of opportunity and free-market values.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
So....it would seem this thread was just a way for you two to play fantasy braggart in hopes of building yourselves up after being humiliated throughout this community because of who you are. Just to let you know, no one here actually believes your little stories but go ahead regardless because this is almost entertaining in a rather pathetic way.

Feb 2020
Houston
So, we're in the same boat with the blown PhD's. Lot's of people are. It's a huge trap the government sets for people.

Congrats on paying off your student debt. That will never happen for me, I think.

I'll be honest, I had no intention of paying it off unless I became a millionaire which is unlikely. There are so many ways to dodge the payments and now this megascam they have going now will likely be used as an excuse for cancellation.

That's not fair to you who did the right thing, I know. But things like that are why i long since abandoned fairness. The only "fair" system is libertarianism and we see how popular that is.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
College was once something to be proud of when it was hard to get into. Now you don't even need to have even read Shakespeare to get a Master's in English. Shakespeare was just another old White racist.