Polarization

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Do you have much luck persuading others with this sort of invective?
I'm not trying to persuade you of anything. And, if you feel you are one of the people being described, you might think about why you feel that description fits you so well you recognize yourself.

Dec 2018
New England
I'm not trying to persuade you of anything. And, if you feel you are one of the people being described, you might think about why you feel that description fits you so well you recognize yourself.
What I "feel" is that you might want to reflect on the subject line of this thread.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I never suggested for a moment that the nation wasn't polarized...I didn't create the polarization - but I'm an active member of the citizenry, so I'm part of the polarization.
I've made my case for what I feel are the main reasons I'm opposed to the polar opposite of my point of view, and I have no intention of being sweet about them. I find them loathsome.

Dec 2018
New England
I never suggested for a moment that the nation wasn't polarized...I didn't create the polarization - but I'm an active member of the citizenry, so I'm part of the polarization.
I've made my case for what I feel are the main reasons I'm opposed to the polar opposite of my point of view, and I have no intention of being sweet about them. I find them loathsome.
Nothing wrong with having a different opinion and defending it with spirit. But there is difference between telling someone they're wrong and telling someone they're an ass sucker for being wrong.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Nobody has ever suggested such a thing. There has always been dishonesty and distortion and misrepresentation in politics. But, when it's exposed, it has been condemned and rejected by the citizens. A President's lies have been met with scandal. With Trump we have reached a new plateau, where we have actually become immune to the dishonesty of our leader-in-chief and barely even bat an eye at his (and his sycophants') latest issues with facts, truth, and honesty. They are now fodder for late-night jokes and internet memes.
That IS a new achievement for America, whether you care to admit it or not.
It is always easier to dramatize a political opinion by making an appeal to the extreme in an argument. Common fallacy demonstrated by Orange Orb.

I don't think there is a great deal of new polarization compared to the past. Conservatives were just as entrenched against desegregation and anti-discrimination laws in the 60's as now against refugees, the poor, or racial group. Conservatives have always loved the "good old days". Conservatives were against water fluoridation just as now against vaccination. Communist plots were rampant, if never found or substantiated. The main issue was that there were conservative Democrats and Republicans but now they are largely concentrated in the Republican Party.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Nothing wrong with having a different opinion and defending it with spirit. But there is difference between telling someone they're wrong and telling someone they're an ass sucker for being wrong.
Actually, in my experience, most in the Right view any criticism of their views as some sort of derogatory denunciation of them personally. Usually the claim is that they (the Right) have been "trolled" by anyone who expresses a good critique of RW thoughts.

Dec 2018
New England
Actually, in my experience, most in the Right view any criticism of their views as some sort of derogatory denunciation of them personally. Usually the claim is that they (the Right) have been "trolled" by anyone who expresses a good critique of RW thoughts.
Couldn't disagree more. I find the left far more brittle. You folks so often confuse policy with objective. Oppose extension of the welfare state? You hate the poor. Oppose affirmative action or open borders? You're a racist. Oppose confiscatory tax programs? You're a stooge for the rich. As night follows day, oppose progressive orthodoxy and you're in for some ad hominem.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Couldn't disagree more. I find the left far more brittle. You folks so often confuse policy with objective. Oppose extension of the welfare state? You hate the poor. Oppose affirmative action or open borders? You're a racist. Oppose confiscatory tax programs? You're a stooge for the rich. As night follows day, oppose progressive orthodoxy and you're in for some ad hominem.
That EXACTLY demonstrates my point.... conservatives over-react to criticism. Thanks for the inadvertent validation by your over-reaction.