Polarization

Dec 2018
New England
You see, Clara, he's trying to pull one of the fat orange turd's favorite techniques: complain every time he makes a racist or homophobic or misogynistic or xenophobic comment that people call him a racist, homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic bigot. Just as when he makes an outrageous claim or spews vicious hate-mongering or presents patently defenseless lies as facts and it gets reported by journalists, he complains that they are 'against' him and only write bad things about him.

They truly don't grasp the fact that words have definitions and meanings - and if the meanings fit, they just have to wear them.

Oh, @Biff, they're burying you.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Just read a piece called: The Post-Truth Era in America by Ralph Keyes

"At one time we had truth and lies. Now we have truth, lies, and statements that may not be true but we consider too benign to call false. Euphemisms abound. We’re “economical with the truth,” we “sweeten it,” or tell “the truth improved.” The term deceive gives way to spin. At worst we admit to “misspeaking,” or “exercising poor judgment.” Nor do we want to accuse others of lying. We say they’re in denial. A liar is “ethically challenged,” someone for whom “the truth is temporarily unavailable.”

This is post-truth. In the post-truth era, borders blur between truth and lies, honesty and dishonesty, fiction and nonfiction. Deceiving others becomes a challenge, a game, and ultimately a habit. Research suggests that the average American tells lies on a daily basis. These fibs run the gamut from “I like sushi,” to “I love you.”

Post-truthfulness builds a fragile social edifice based on wariness. It erodes the foundation of trust that underlies any healthy civilization. When enough of us peddle fantasy as fact, society loses its grounding in reality. Society would crumble altogether if we assumed others were as likely to dissemble as tell the truth. We are perilously close to that point."
AND I would add....Note to Ralph: Sorry, babe. We have reached the summit of that point.

The transformation of the GOP has been something to behold since 2016. The proud party of fiscal responsibility, family values, free trade, entitlement reform, and internationalism is no more. The party of Reagan is now the party of Trump--the MAGA party who traded white college-graduates for Trump’s core constituency of low levels of education and income.

The Party of Trump is so extreme that NOW stating facts, reinforced by legislation, statistics, quotes, audio and video are called personal attacks, alternative facts, a particular vernacular, fake news and jokes. Presidential tweets put lawmakers' lives at risk. Promises once made are broken without apology. AND LIES have become our daily fare.

Wake me up when this is over. I am so ashamed of this nation.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
How would you define those terms then?

Better yet, how do you define the word "fascist" which you love to throw around and claim leftists are?
The hypocrisy you portray in your complaint is amusing...

I would tend to use the dictionary definition. You guys just toss them around.

My favorite of those is homophobia.. that should be fear of the gays. Now days it just means dissagrees w/ leftists. Wait... thats what they all mean now, right?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Just read a piece called: The Post-Truth Era in America by Ralph Keyes

"At one time we had truth and lies. Now we have truth, lies, and statements that may not be true but we consider too benign to call false. Euphemisms abound. We’re “economical with the truth,” we “sweeten it,” or tell “the truth improved.” The term deceive gives way to spin. At worst we admit to “misspeaking,” or “exercising poor judgment.” Nor do we want to accuse others of lying. We say they’re in denial. A liar is “ethically challenged,” someone for whom “the truth is temporarily unavailable.”

This is post-truth. In the post-truth era, borders blur between truth and lies, honesty and dishonesty, fiction and nonfiction. Deceiving others becomes a challenge, a game, and ultimately a habit. Research suggests that the average American tells lies on a daily basis. These fibs run the gamut from “I like sushi,” to “I love you.”

Post-truthfulness builds a fragile social edifice based on wariness. It erodes the foundation of trust that underlies any healthy civilization. When enough of us peddle fantasy as fact, society loses its grounding in reality. Society would crumble altogether if we assumed others were as likely to dissemble as tell the truth. We are perilously close to that point."
AND I would add....Note to Ralph: Sorry, babe. We have reached the summit of that point.

The transformation of the GOP has been something to behold since 2016. The proud party of fiscal responsibility, family values, free trade, entitlement reform, and internationalism is no more. The party of Reagan is now the party of Trump--the MAGA party who traded white college-graduates for Trump’s core constituency of low levels of education and income.

The Party of Trump is so extreme that NOW stating facts, reinforced by legislation, statistics, quotes, audio and video are called personal attacks, alternative facts, a particular vernacular, fake news and jokes. Presidential tweets put lawmakers' lives at risk. Promises once made are broken without apology. AND LIES have become our daily fare.

Wake me up when this is over. I am so ashamed of this nation.

The irony of this post, where it has been posted and by whom is epic!!!!

Thank you so much for this!!!

Dec 2018
New England
Actually, your whining and sense of injury exactly fits my predictions. Buck up, cupcake!
Nice try, Biff, but you're not skating past this one. You and I were discussing which side, left or right, was more prone to personal attacks when debating politics. As if on cue, two of the forum's regulars from your side of the fence chime in and couldn't even manage to discuss the point without attacking the motives of me and/or conservatives in general. The truly hilarious part is neither seems to understand that they are doing it because the concept of conservatives-as-evil is so deeply ingrained in their thinking. And only slightly less amusing are your attempts to pretend they are not doing it.

So please, keep it coming.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Actually, I have never said ANYTHING negative about conservatives. I know and have good friends who are conservatives - they can't help it if they have lousy political points of view. :kiss:
No, it's the supporters of the lying, dishonest, deceitful, hypocritical, vicious, petty, vindictive, childish, egocentric, thin-skinned, completely unqualified fat orange turd the electoral college appointed to the office of President of the United States.
See, while you're so busy condemning the "left side" for their personal attacks, you can't even be bothered to find out exactly who they're attacking because you're too busy knee jerk reacting to ridicule and contempt heaped on the fat orange turd.
I would say that you need to get over yourself - but, actually, you need to get past your own self-centered ego and get over your adoration for the fat orange turd before he destroys our nation.