Police stake out area where American killed by Andaman tribespeople...which begs the question: Why Bother?

Dec 2016
Canada
Why bother? Maybe because the family wants their son back--to be buried in the family plot near them?? Maybe because the family needs to be assured that the authorities did everything they could for them?
If it's just about America does everything in its power to bring every dead American back for burial, that's not good enough!

Especially, since this new century began and we've been treated to a series of wars, civil wars and genocidal regimes installed in power as part of "the global war on terror" there are millions of families all over the world have loved ones who have vanished for years, and no one knows what happened to them! And unlike John Chau, they were just doing what they could to protect themselves and families, and not bent on doing something life-threatening and totally illegal, not once, not twice, but at least three times according to his own diaries. It seems like the Sentinilese got tired of trying to warn him or scare him away and decided they had to plug him to get rid of the intrusion!

Dec 2016
Canada
i feel really bad saying this and it probably means i'm going to hell, but yeah i agree 100% stupid and arrogantfuck how dare he impose his relgion on others its bad enough he beleives that shit, also those people dont have proper immune defences because of their isollation his mere precence could infect those poor tribesman with a deadly disease

Yes, that's the point anthropologists studying the last wild, uncontacted or limited-contact groups that are left in the world have been trying to get through to people every time they do a story about the Amazon, Congo, or these remote islands in the Indian Ocean.

Globalization made diseases global also! And especially animal-born diseases( bacteria and viruses that crossed species from our food supply animals to humans) that were unknown in 'undeveloped' parts of the world where people didn't think it was a good idea to live with the animals you eat later....started wiping out entire populations as soon as the first "explorers" and missionaries left Europe by ship over 500 years ago.

These uncontacted tribes are about the last places on Earth where there would be populations with no immunity to our common diseases!

Dec 2016
Canada
There is a part of Mt. Everest, anything above 26 thousand feet, that is known as the 'Death Zone'. If you die in the death zone, you stay there. The conditions at that altitude make recovering the bodies practically impossible. Odd are that a team trying to recover a body are not going to be successful and will probably lose members. Climbers know this going up.

The risks to someone trying to retrieve Chou's body and to the natives on the island has to be weighed against the desires of the family.

Having just lost my husband, I can certainly understand the feelings of the family. But to put the lives of others, and the possible destruction of an entire culture at risk is not, in my opinion, worth it.

Enough risks have been taken, enough lives lost already. I have to vote to leave him where he rests.
Yes, if they're going to declare the upper reaches of Mount Everest a 'death zone,' why shouldn't the same rule apply to North Sentinel Island?

Dec 2016
Canada
I read this a few days ago. That kid got exactly what he deserved. What an arrogant little twat.
Yes, there is a whole lot of arrogance all wrapped up with the notion that any corner of the world where missionaries haven't ventured is "Satan's Abode!" Any missionaries who believe something similar should go to Mecca and pull out their bibles and start preaching Jesus saves at the crowd circling the Black Rock.....and see how things go!

But, whether the missionaries 'witnessing' to the 'heathen' in far off lands have been well or evil-intentioned, they come bearing more than their holy books! They include the presumptions of total cultural superiority over 'backward' natives wherever they have landed, and along with Christianizing them, are bent on modernizing them as well. Because the traditional concept of humans being part of nature and not above and separate from a world created by their 'supreme being' which their theology implies that they are only in 2nd place to.....this means the total upending of everything that people living in pagan lands have held sacred. I contend that the greater part of our predilection to exploit and destroy the biosphere of our home planet comes from the notion of separation from the world that became part of the worldview of the arrogant monotheists who moved out of Mesopotamia 3000 years ago! Every other group who lived off the land...which included some managed horticulture in some areas, would have considered the arrogance of feeling superior to nature to be life-threatening...,..and in our time, we should be realizing they have been right, because the window of opportunity to survive man-made catastrophe is closing fast on us all!

May 2013
arkansas
Yes, if they're going to declare the upper reaches of Mount Everest a 'death zone,' why shouldn't the same rule apply to North Sentinel Island?
Well, recovering a body from the death zone is pretty much a physical impossibility. At that altitude just putting one foot in front of the other is about the most output even the best climbers can manage. The bodies are frozen to the ground and getting them free requires more energy than the climbers have and too much time in the zone.

Recovering a body that has been buried on a beach is a 'piece of cake' time and energy wise. It is the risk to the recovery team and the tribe that is the problem. Granted, the recovery team members know what they are risking, but I don't believe that being willing to take that risk gives them the right to risk the survival of the native tribe.

May 2013
arkansas
The disease issue is certainly a point to be taken seriously. But what about those people's RIGHT to be left the fuck alone to live their lives ???
They have made it crystal clear more than once that they will take a 'stand your ground' attitude towards trespassers. It's ironic that people who consider themselves the 'evolved' and the tribe 'primitive' would make such a stupid decision.

I feel very sad for the young mans family, but let us face it. If you're going to jog where the lions feed, you only have yourself to blame for whatever becomes of you.

Sep 2017
Pennsylfaani
Wow! You know your Teutonic History. Rome never conquered Germania but did conquer Britannia and Gaul. I am Scot descent and Rome never conquered Scotland.
Do you even know who Saint Boniface was? He was a missionary who went into Germania to convert them to Christianity. He cut down a sacred grove and in turn had his head split in two.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Why bother? Maybe because the family wants their son back--to be buried in the family plot near them?? Maybe because the family needs to be assured that the authorities did everything they could for them?
Why didn't the family do something to protect him before he chose to get himself killed?

I can not see any justification for any authority to risk lives of either the authority reps or the indigenous population to gather up ~130 lbs of chemicals, and at that, mostly water. Not to mention the further risk of exposing the indigenous peoples to disease they have not developed any immunity to.

Shouldn't we have learned at least a little about what the white man did to indigenous peoples in the Americas?

Edit: My apologies to those who made the same point. This post wasn't needed. But I posted before I read the rest of the thread.