President Donald Trump announces 5% tariff on all goods from Mexico

Dec 2015
Arizona
Dec 2015
Arizona
Who was that masked man?? The guy in the white hat who rode in on the white horse with the white saddle and saved the day!!!!
The Lone Trumper!
@skews13
UPDATE: Sound and Fury. The Tariffs Were A Lie

So, we’re supposed to be relieved that we won’t have to pay a tax on avocados because of the Dotard’s deal?
Well, look what came across from the NY Times, less than 15 minutes ago:

Mexico Agreed to Take Border Actions Months Before Trump Announced Tariff Deal
Skews, this deserves its own thread.

Nov 2012
nirvana
@skews13

Skews, this deserves its own thread.
Nah. I'm not going step on Lees thread. I just happen to come across the article. Apparently it is being picked up by multiple sources.

The entertainment is from all of the MAGAt's, that have been harping all day on art of the deal dotards great deal making skills. I'm picturing in my mind the Mexican President laughing his ass of with members of his staff, after he told little donnie how he now has the border with Guatemala secured now.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Nah. I'm not going step on Lees thread. I just happen to come across the article. Apparently it is being picked up by multiple sources.

The entertainment is from all of the MAGAt's, that have been harping all day on art of the deal dotards great deal making skills. I'm picturing in my mind the Mexican President laughing his ass of with members of his staff, after he told little donnie how he now has the border with Guatemala secured now.

I started the thread for ya.

@Clara007 was right, it needs it's own thread.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
stag·nant
/ˈstaɡnənt/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
  1. (of a body of water or the atmosphere of a confined space) having no current or flow and often having an unpleasant smell as a consequence.
    "a stagnant ditch"
    synonyms:still, motionless, immobile, inert, lifeless, dead, standing, slack, static, stationary; More

• showing no activity; dull and sluggish.
      "a stagnant economy"
      synonyms:inactive, sluggish, slow, slow-moving, lethargic, static, flat, depressed, quiet, dull, declining, moribund, dying, dead, dormant, stagnating
      "a stagnant economy"
So if real wages increase by only 3% over 20 years, what would you call that ?

Dec 2018
New England
AGAIN, the cost of the product is ONLY a part of the total cost of doing business. Unless you are the CFO of all those companies, all you are doing is making assumptions with the breakdown of their spreadsheets. The actual purchase cost of my own products are less than 10% of my total expenses, and in some cases, the cost of the freight built into the prices set by the vendors are actually the greater part of the unit cost.
Marcus, no. The cost of taxes drop straight to the bottom line. That money must come from somewhere, and most often it comes in the form of higher prices. One does not need to exam the books of every business in every industry to believe that is a likely outcome.

Goodness, even the Democrats get this logic so long as the conversation is limited to a discussion of Trump's tariffs.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
AGAIN, the cost of the product is ONLY a part of the total cost of doing business. Unless you are the CFO of all those companies, all you are doing is making assumptions with the breakdown of their spreadsheets. The actual purchase cost of my own products are less than 10% of my total expenses, and in some cases, the cost of the freight built into the prices set by the vendors are actually the greater part of the unit cost.
Indeed, it generally costs more to ship a sneaker, for example, here than it costs to manufacturer it.

People just don't understand all the costs involved in bring product to market. They read about how little it costs in Asia to manufacture an item and assume the price they are paying minus teh cost of production is pure profits and that they are being ripped off. Being price gouged.

(10% seems very low though)

Dec 2018
New England
So if real wages increase by only 3% over 20 years, what would you call that ?
I call it slow growth. What would you call a 40% over 40 years?

We can play games by cherry-picking time slices all day. It's the long-term trend that matters. The short-term view is distorted by economic cycles; e.g. there are two recessions in the 20 year period you chose.

Dec 2018
New England
Indeed, it generally costs more to ship a sneaker, for example, here than it costs to manufacturer it.

People just don't understand all the costs involved in bring product to market. They read about how little it costs in Asia to manufacture an item and assume the price they are paying minus teh cost of production is pure profits and that they are being ripped off. Being price gouged.

(10% seems very low though)
And sometimes it's less. Heard an NPR story a few months back where it works out better for the Scots to catch their salmon locally, ship it to China to have it processed (smoked), and bring it back to Scotland for sale in their local markets.