President Donald Trump announces 5% tariff on all goods from Mexico

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I call it slow growth. What would you call a 40% over 40 years?

We can play games by cherry-picking time slices all day. It's the long-term trend that matters. The short-term view is distorted by economic cycles; e.g. there are two recessions in the 20 year period you chose.
The key distinguishing feature of the 20 year period I was referring to is that it was the last 20 years. That's not cherry picking, that's data.
You're referring to period between 20 and 40 years ago is cherry picking.

Sep 2017
Hell
Marcus, no. The cost of taxes drop straight to the bottom line. That money must come from somewhere, and most often it comes in the form of higher prices. One does not need to exam the books of every business in every industry to believe that is a likely outcome.

Goodness, even the Democrats get this logic so long as the conversation is limited to a discussion of Trump's tariffs.
Look at the simple math. If cost of the product is only 10% of total expenses, a 25% tariff will only make the bring the it up to 10.25% at the most, IF ALL your products were hit by said tariff. It does not impact your imaginary 10% margin anything close to your claim. There is an impact, but nothing close to your doomsday imagination. The ones that are truly impacted are the ones that export to China because they face the reciprocating tariffs.

Sep 2017
Hell
Indeed, it generally costs more to ship a sneaker, for example, here than it costs to manufacturer it.

People just don't understand all the costs involved in bring product to market. They read about how little it costs in Asia to manufacture an item and assume the price they are paying minus teh cost of production is pure profits and that they are being ripped off. Being price gouged.

(10% seems very low though)
10% is the new normal ever since the internet began to take over the retail market from the brick and mortar retail due to loss of volume while fixed overhead remains the same. Business models change with the times.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
10% is the new normal ever since the internet began to take over the retail market from the brick and mortar retail due to loss of volume while fixed overhead remains the same. Business models change with the times.

I respect that you do not wish to share more but I have never seen COG at 10% of total cost. Not even close.
Maybe you buy your own factory time in Asia and bring product to market from scratch?

Last edited:
Sep 2017
Hell
I respect that you do not wish to share more but I have never seen COG at 10% of total cost. Not even close.
I am guessing you buy your own factory time in Asia and bring product to market from scratch?
I didn't say that my COG was 10%. I'm saying that the initial unit purchase price spent on the sum of units totals only adds up to 10% of total expenditures. The way that the 10% number would change would be based on volume because some expenditures are almost entirely fixed, such as mortgage/rent, property tax on buildings/fixtures, electricity, phone, listings, licensing fees, etc.

As for your second part, I also deal with EU. Unfortunately, much of what is needed to get things made or assembled in the EU also relies on Chinese sourcing. One example is that every UL listed power cord and plug on items coming from the EU originates from China, so the lead time is doubled. There is also an on and off trade war between EU and China that people don't talk about much.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Yep, I am downright terrifying. I am one of those crazy people who LIKES paying taxes. Why? Because I can see where SOME of that money goes and if it's used wisely I'm all for it. Not everything our government does is/has "failed". There are programs that have been enormously successful. I'm tired of the historical, tired, conventional wisdom of "taxes are bad". They aren't.
They are necessary......if we want a strong, thriving country--a country who supports voters and children.

Wait... aren't you a retired teacher?

You 'pay' your taxes w/ taxpayer dollars.

You are a negitive asset. You continue to drain wealth from the system yet produce nothing of value. Of course you support people 'paying taxes'. It directly benifits you

Sep 2017
Hell
Now that he's put a tariff on Mexican imports, that gives US farmers a chance to expand !
I wonder where they are going to get the cheap labour needed to take advantage of it from :think:
Before welfare, those jobs were taken by Americans. Are you saying that your land never had an agricultural program that had natives of your land working the fields?

The problem with "jobs that Americans won't do" is that it was done prior to the establishment of entitlement programs that can allow someone of able body and mind to live relying on nothing than the system created by entitlements.

Why do people think that some jobs can only be done with foreign labor willing to work untenable conditions? Is that alone in itself "racist" as some here always claims, that we can pay off Americans that don't want to work, but will happily employ beleaguered illegals and take advantage of them in total shit jobs?