President Trump’s claims of absolute immunities.

Nov 2013
NM
In Hamilton's case - he worked himself not quite to death. Yes, he was fortunate to find people along the way who helped him; but he drove himself mercilessly. He was a quick study, & self-taught himself a bunch of disciplines @ need - militia drill, artillery, national economics, national banking, minting, specie, business economics. All that & he was a handy writer.

The important thing about the US - there is still room for maneuver - people are not confined to a little niche. There are prices to be paid, to be sure - Hamilton always seemed touchy about his origins. But still, it was possible for him to rise.

Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
Article II section 4 says "The President, Vice-President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors." I am not understanding the failure to remove him from the office because of bribery? What is the different between making a deal and bribery?

The military support of the US is a pretty important item of value, don't you think? But what nation is not getting this military support? Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Ukraine. Are we to believe all these countries get our military support with no strings attached? Is the Trump situation different because the threat to withhold military support was about a private "item of value" rather than one of national interest? …
Athena, yes, I believe that you’ve correctly identified a critical difference within your examples.

Government officials often are directed or choose to abstain from participating in cases within which they or their acquaintances might have some vested interests. We had begun the practice of government officials detaching themselves from their enterprises and placing their wealth in “blind-trusts” before assuming high offices they’ve been appointed or elected to.
Our hopes and purposes have been to improve and promote integrity within our government's branches, their departments and the reputations of their people. This doesn’t seem to be among president Trump’s priority of concerns.

Respectfully, Supposn

Reactions: Athena
Apr 2015
Stockport, Cheshire. UK
The argument that Trump can order his staff not to appear in front of Congressional tribunals is one of the most dangerous threats to the Republic in the last 100 hundred years.

Reactions: se7en and Athena
Feb 2014
Oregon
Athena, yes, I believe that you’ve correctly identified a critical difference within your examples.

Government officials often are directed or choose to abstain from participating in cases within which they or their acquaintances might have some vested interests. We had begun the practice of government officials detaching themselves from their enterprises and placing their wealth in “blind-trusts” before assuming high offices they’ve been appointed or elected to.
Our hopes and purposes have been to improve and promote integrity within our government's branches, their departments and the reputations of their people. This doesn’t seem to be among president Trump’s priority of concerns.

Respectfully, Supposn
I love your post. You make my mind aware that we have enjoyed a nation with relatively little corruption because our nation was built on philosophy, not religion and on a humanistic understanding of human nature. Our institutions were intentionally designed to curb individual opportunities for corruption, but we have gradually increased the power of our presidents, and greatly increased our dependency of a "Lion King". Our intention is no longer the intention of democracy that we inherited.

I repeat myself because I do not believe people get what I have been saying. In 1958 we changed the purpose of education and stopped educating for good moral judgment, leaving that to the church. Now, remember the movie Disney movie "Lion King"? It is the Christian mythology of God's Kingdom. The masses are represented as hyenas and Satan is the crippled lion who kills the Lion King and attempts to kill the King's son who is the rightful ruler. Satan gets power by cutting a deal with the hyenas, and this rulership brings on the destruction of the kingdom. We should watch that movie and discuss present-day politics.

From time to time nations are in as much need of psycho analyses as individuals. The US is soaked in Christian mythology and the member of the democracy we had is dying. We are divided and reactionary and politics are no longer based concepts and the values of humanism, but we treat politics as though everything is a football game with winners and losers. It is no longer our intent to prevent corruption.

Putting international business deals of hold is not adequate in today's world. A "blind-trust" does not prevent a president to rule in favor of Israel for favors expected in the future. These men are playing power games. That is politics way over our heads because we are living in blind trust. :lol:

Feb 2014
Oregon
The argument that Trump can order his staff not to appear in front of Congressional tribunals is one of the most dangerous threats to the Republic in the last 100 hundred years.
Ah come on, who could expect to keep a job if one ratted out the employer? Our nation is no longer about defending liberty and justice. It is about winning.

We seriously need to replace autocratic industry with the democratic model and put power in the hands of the people who are working for the good of all. We are moral because we know that is the only way to get good results.

May 2019
California
I love your post. You make my mind aware that we have enjoyed a nation with relatively little corruption because our nation was built on philosophy, not religion and on a humanistic understanding of human nature. Our institutions were intentionally designed to curb individual opportunities for corruption, but we have gradually increased the power of our presidents, and greatly increased our dependency of a "Lion King". Our intention is no longer the intention of democracy that we inherited.

I repeat myself because I do not believe people get what I have been saying. In 1958 we changed the purpose of education and stopped educating for good moral judgment, leaving that to the church. Now, remember the movie Disney movie "Lion King"? It is the Christian mythology of God's Kingdom. The masses are represented as hyenas and Satan is the crippled lion who kills the Lion King and attempts to kill the King's son who is the rightful ruler. Satan gets power by cutting a deal with the hyenas, and this rulership brings on the destruction of the kingdom. We should watch that movie and discuss present-day politics.

From time to time nations are in as much need of psycho analyses as individuals. The US is soaked in Christian mythology and the member of the democracy we had is dying. We are divided and reactionary and politics are no longer based concepts and the values of humanism, but we treat politics as though everything is a football game with winners and losers. It is no longer our intent to prevent corruption.

Putting international business deals of hold is not adequate in today's world. A "blind-trust" does not prevent a president to rule in favor of Israel for favors expected in the future. These men are playing power games. That is politics way over our heads because we are living in blind trust. :lol:
You may want to rethink at least one bit of your statement. The United States enables criminal money laundering on a MASSIVE, unmatched scale.

Feb 2014
Oregon
You may want to rethink at least one bit of your statement. The United States enables criminal money laundering on a MASSIVE, unmatched scale.

Why would I want to rethink my last statement? The average person is not thinking of politics as men like Cheney and Trump think about politics. I think it is important we understand that.

Money laundering is a whole different issue and here is a lot of information about that...

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/terrorist-illicit-finance/Documents/nmls.pdf

May 2019
California
Apr 2015
Stockport, Cheshire. UK
The amount of corruption inbuilt into the US system is literally jaw breaking, the amount of money required to run a political campaign is horrific and the fact that the laws around who and what can contribute are fairly lax ensures that large financial donors, both private individuals and large US based multi- national companies, have far too much influence on the lawmakers who shape US national policy.

Reactions: imaginethat
Nov 2013
NM
The amount of corruption inbuilt into the US system is literally jaw breaking, the amount of money required to run a political campaign is horrific and the fact that the laws around who and what can contribute are fairly lax ensures that large financial donors, both private individuals and large US based multi- national companies, have far too much influence on the lawmakers who shape US national policy.
& whole nations, once they lawyer up & begin to play by inside-the-Beltway rules: China, Japan, Kuwait (especially in the aftermath of Iraq's invasion) ...