President Trump’s claims of absolute immunities.

Feb 2014
Oregon
My point was that we are a nation unrivaled in corruption.
Is it your intent to be a tease? You got my curiosity going. Mind you, I am a simple domestic woman and really do not understand the games the powerful play. I have thought corruption is what third world countries have, not something that is common to the US.

Feb 2014
Oregon
The amount of corruption inbuilt into the US system is literally jaw breaking, the amount of money required to run a political campaign is horrific and the fact that the laws around who and what can contribute are fairly lax ensures that large financial donors, both private individuals and large US based multi- national companies, have far too much influence on the lawmakers who shape US national policy.
That does not fit my idea of what the US is all about. I think in Roosevelt's day there was relatively little campaign spending and a lot more media coverage of the candidates. I have looked for charts of campaign spending and the spending wasn't that much in 1960.

1575257529803.png

Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
That does not fit my idea of what the US is all about. I think in Roosevelt's day there was relatively little campaign spending and a lot more media coverage of the candidates. I have looked for charts of campaign spending and the spending wasn't that much in 1960. ...
Referring to the discussion thread "Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time":
Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time.

Many of us are concerned about the huge and growing expenditures for seeking elected offices. I suppose purchasing electronic broadcasting time or space on internet screens is the most expensive single items for national and state-wide campaigns. because that's the most advantageous use of campaign dollars. Political influence is being auctioned, powers' further gravitating to the wealthiest bidders and reducing the populist character of our democratic republic. …
… Purchase of electronic broadcasting services should not be a tax deductible item. If the political services cannot be effectively regulated, we should not enable those expenses to be commingled with commercial expenses and in effect be government subsidized. … This is a radical proposal. But increasing the effective prices paid for broadcasting commercial interruptions to better retain our democracy and prevent fascism, is a good bargain. …
Respectfully, Supposn

Reactions: imaginethat
Feb 2014
Oregon
Referring to the discussion thread "Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time": Respectfully, Supposn
Huh? increasing the cost of buying broadcasting commercial time is supposed to make things better?

May 2019
California
Is it your intent to be a tease? You got my curiosity going. Mind you, I am a simple domestic woman and really do not understand the games the powerful play. I have thought corruption is what third world countries have, not something that is common to the US.
The link I provided explains exactly what I mean.

Oct 2009
Cliffside Park, NJ
Huh? increasing the cost of buying broadcasting commercial time is supposed to make things better?
Athena, apparently you haven’t clicked onto and read the entire linked post,
Increase effective prices for broadcasting commercial time
and/or you’re unaware of what’s effectively political broadcasting time subsidized by tax deductions. Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Oregon
I decided if people don't want to discuss things and explain in their own words, I should stop responding.