Presidential Election Tie

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I'm on lunch and was playing around with an electoral map and found a fun little scenario which isn't really unheard of. Dems snag PA, VA, ME, MI, MN, CO, NM, NV, and the rest of their normal states. Reps snag AZ, UT, TX, IA, WI, FL, NC, OH and the rest of their normal states. That leaves the election 269 to 269.

So what happens? It goes to a Contingent Election, as per the 12th amendment. In this election, the House votes on the Presidency while the Senate votes on the Vice Presidency. And with early projections looking like Ds holding the House and Rs holding the Senate, that would make for some INTERESTING scenarios.

Can you imagine a President Elizabeth Warren and a Vice President Mike Pence? YIKES

Reactions: se7en
Apr 2019
America
I'm on lunch and was playing around with an electoral map and found a fun little scenario which isn't really unheard of. Dems snag PA, VA, ME, MI, MN, CO, NM, NV, and the rest of their normal states. Reps snag AZ, UT, TX, IA, WI, FL, NC, OH and the rest of their normal states. That leaves the election 269 to 269.

So what happens? It goes to a Contingent Election, as per the 12th amendment. In this election, the House votes on the Presidency while the Senate votes on the Vice Presidency. And with early projections looking like Ds holding the House and Rs holding the Senate, that would make for some INTERESTING scenarios.

Can you imagine a President Elizabeth Warren and a Vice President Mike Pence? YIKES
Couldn't the Senate make Trump the vice president instead. After all he will be unemployed.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Couldn't the Senate make Trump the vice president instead. After all he will be unemployed.
I was actually wondering if the Senate can put up someone else. Same with the House. I think technically they COULD but politically I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be. Particularly for the House.

To answer your question though, I can't imagine anyone would want to see Trump as VICE president. I don't think Trump would want that, I don't think the Senate would want that, and I'm not sure the American people would want that.

Apr 2019
America
Thomas Jefferson, Aaron Burr and the Election of 1800 | History | Smithsonian
Though Jefferson and Burr had tied in the Electoral College, public opinion appeared to side with Jefferson. Not only had he been the choice of his party’s nominating caucus, but he had served longer at the national level than Burr, and in a more exalted capacity. But if neither man was selected by noon on March 4, when Adams’ term ended, the country would be without a chief executive until the newly elected Congress convened in December, nine months later. In the interim, the current, Federalist-dominated Congress would be in control.

Faced with such a prospect, Jefferson wrote to Burr in December. His missive was cryptic, but in it he appeared to suggest that if Burr accepted the vice presidency, he would be given greater responsibilities than previous vice presidents. Burr’s response to Jefferson was reassuring. He pledged to “disclaim all competition” and spoke of “your administration.”
We have history.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I was actually wondering if the Senate can put up someone else. Same with the House. I think technically they COULD but politically I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be. Particularly for the House.

To answer your question though, I can't imagine anyone would want to see Trump as VICE president. I don't think Trump would want that, I don't think the Senate would want that, and I'm not sure the American people would want that.
As far as the house they can only vote for one of the three candidates with the highest EC votes

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North

Trump playing second banana to anyone anywhere? Not a chance in heck.

Well, maybe in Stormy's bed

Jul 2014
massachusetts

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
Each house state delegation gets one vote, that means 50 votes, and all those barely inhabited flyover states would sway us to doom.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
Each house state delegation gets one vote, that means 50 votes, and all those barely inhabited flyover states would sway us to doom.
So walk me through this because I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Wisconsin has 5 R congressman and 3 D congressmen. Are you saying that because the WI congressman majority leans R, the "WI vote would go to the R majority? And each state would follow this process?

I'm honestly just trying to understand.