Presidential Oval Office speech Jan 8, 2019

How factual and/or truthful will Trump's speech be tonight?

• 100% truthful and factual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75% truthful and factual

• 50% truthful and factual

• 25% truthful and factual

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 0% truthful and factual. It will be pure New York bovine excrement

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 2014
redacted
President Trump will give his speech tonight at 9PM Eastern. Presumably about his declaration that we need the Wall or the entire USA will collapse and that's why he's shutdown the government.

Media sources which will broadcast the speech are underfire to have fact checkers correct Trump's misstatements/lies live, probably with a few second delay. I think that's a good idea given Trump's propensity to make statements that are not true.

Currently, about 50% of the public blames Trump for the shutdown, which is good since Trump said he'd own it, 5% the Republicans and 35% the Democrats, presumably his voting base who think Trump farts rainbows and shits gold bars.

Anyone have thoughts about his speech? Trump's veracity or lack thereof?

Reactions: Hollywood

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
When I was a journalist in the 90s, among my peers we really looked down on what we called "court reporting," and called journalists who did it "lazy."

Fact checking is imperative in journalism because people tend to believe the first things they hear.

Trump knows this, and uses it. Responsible journalism would deny him this. Of course, in today's world, accountable journalism that exposes Trump's lies will be called fake news. His supporters are well-conditioned, well indoctrinated.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
To be clear, "court reporting" is when a lazy journalist simply repeats what is said without doing any fact-checking, iow, becoming a propaganda enabler.

Reactions: Hollywood
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I'm guessing he will not declare a state of emergency. I'm guessing he will try to argue that the nation is in a state of emergency, thus justifying extending the shutdown to get his wall.

His speech will be a mix of facts, misleading statements, and flat out falsehoods, like most of what he says.

PS I will now spend the rest of my day with the vision of someone farting rainbows stuck in my head.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
It was just reported that the speech will be approximately 8 minutes long.

I don't believe it for a second.

It takes the fat orange turd Dear Leader 8 minutes just to boast about how great he did showing up.

Apr 2014
redacted
It was just reported that the speech will be approximately 8 minutes long.

I don't believe it for a second.

It takes the fat orange turd Dear Leader 8 minutes just to boast about how great he did showing up.
LOL.

Any word on who will do the rebuttal?

Apr 2014
redacted
I'm guessing he will not declare a state of emergency. I'm guessing he will try to argue that the nation is in a state of emergency, thus justifying extending the shutdown to get his wall.

His speech will be a mix of facts, misleading statements, and flat out falsehoods, like most of what he says.

PS I will now spend the rest of my day with the vision of someone farting rainbows stuck in my head.
At one time, when the Oval Office had several adult cabinet members, I'd have agreed. Now that Trump is virtually running the show by himself, I think he's stupid and arrogant enough to do it. Should be fun!