Prime Example of Why We Need BLM

Feb 2018
Oregon
Well, I may be old-fashioned or just plain wrong, but while I think it's clear that blacks are oppressed and harassed and targeted by cops, I also think it's the law that when a cop stops you for any reason, you are legally obligated to provide some sort of ID if asked for it.

I would like to see a broad support for BLM and see a reappearance of the Black Panthers also with broad popularity. And I'd love to see a good percentage of them represented by white activists among them as brothers-in-"arms" so to speak.... a popular mixed-race force of activists. Because it's clear that the powers that be aren't going to fix the race problem unless they are force to.

Jun 2013
Ohio
Sorry, cannot agree with you on this one. He was looking for a confrontation. He flipped off the police as they were driving by. He made sure to have his video rolling. He refused to identify himself multiple times even though the police acquiesced to him and identified themselves. The police showed decent restraint IMO. He called the the n-word. He was the instigator in this situation. I don’t agree with you on this one.

Feb 2018
Oregon
Sorry, cannot agree with you on this one. He was looking for a confrontation. He flipped off the police as they were driving by. He made sure to have his video rolling. He refused to identify himself multiple times even though the police acquiesced to him and identified themselves. The police showed decent restraint IMO. He called the the n-word. He was the instigator in this situation. I don’t agree with you on this one.
Yes, he was clearly looking for a confrontation and daring the cops.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Can anyone confirm that it is a legal requirement to provide cops with ID when asked?

In Canada, that is not the case. If a cop ever tried to bring you in for that, he'd be in deep shit and the lawsuit would be on.

Feb 2018
Oregon
Can anyone confirm that it is a legal requirement to provide cops with ID when asked?

In Canada, that is not the case. If a cop ever tried to bring you in for that, he'd be in deep shit and the lawsuit would be on.
I've "heard tell" (from the police) that it's the law in the U.S. or the state, but then again if you ask the police about gun laws --as another example of their reliability I've personally found that they will tell you you can't legally carry a loaded gun with a concealed weapons permit, and/or you can't legally have a gun anywhere in the car ("it has to be in the trunk") and any number of other things, none of which are true.

Feb 2018
Ohio
No, in the US I have to identify myself if asked by a LEO for a legitimate reason, but I DO NOT have to carry papers.

Sep 2017
Hell

Then why is there a legal requirement to provide ID for buying alcohol, or even applying for a library card or cashing your paycheck at the bank?

If a bank teller, a librarian, or a store clerk can ask for an ID, why not the police?