Privatize everything

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Ok, you've had enough time to get the answer to post #70 and you haven't. So you advocate privatized fire departments without knowing the history or the problems with them, so I'll tell you. Like in the case of the airport, the private fire departments charged for their services. In residential areas they went door-to-door soliciting subscriptions to services. When a homeowner subscribed, they would get a sign to put in their front window to indicate they were a paying customer. And when there was a fire, the fire truck would arrive at the address and look for the sign. If there was none, the fire truck would protect any neighbors' property if they had a sign in their window, or they would turn around and go back to the firehouse and let the home burn. If they put out the fire even though the homeowner had not subscribed, it would cause every other homeowner to not subscribe because the fire department would put out the fire anyway. And the fire department would go broke.

The decision was that privatized fire protection didn't work and it was stopped. And here you are in 2020 advocating it again.
So I am not allowed to go to sleep or take a crap? Jeez!

It doesn't have to be done that way anymore. I told you that I do know the history but do not have to be bound by history. Historically blacks in America were enslaved and then segregated and people thought that was right too, should we not move forward or do we need to be bound by historical failure?

Communities can have gates and have HOAs and if you want to live in those communities then you must agree to pay the price and follow the rules. I live in one of those and it includes private security and First Response units. I certainly would pay for a fire truck too.

I also agree that people should not get any service that they prefer not to pay into. It is their right if they want to allow their house to burn down and they also have to reimburse others if the fire from their house causes damage to others.

It is the same with money. I have the right to do whatever I want with my money. I can give it away to the needy, to the rich, to my kids or simply throw it in the fireplace and roast marshmallows.

Feb 2020
Thx
So I am not allowed to go to sleep or take a crap? Jeez!

It doesn't have to be done that way anymore. I told you that I do know the history but do not have to be bound by history. Historically blacks in America were enslaved and then segregated and people thought that was right too, should we not move forward or do we need to be bound by historical failure?

Communities can have gates and have HOAs and if you want to live in those communities then you must agree to pay the price and follow the rules. I live in one of those and it includes private security and First Response units. I certainly would pay for a fire truck too.

I also agree that people should not get any service that they prefer not to pay into. It is their right if they want to allow their house to burn down and they also have to reimburse others if the fire from their house causes damage to others.

It is the same with money. I have the right to do whatever I want with my money. I can give it away to the needy, to the rich, to my kids or simply throw it in the fireplace and roast marshmallows.
I feel like there is a few things missing from this talk. Now i may be off on these but I’ve no doubt it will be brought to my attention
So let’s start by saying while I’m not sold on privatization of everything I do see possibilities that may be better then the current process. One of the points was condemning bureaucracy essentially. Wich I agree with. It could be easier and less frustrating to just pay a company to do the same job they do now only without a third party to collect money first then hire the people to do it. A bill or contract would suffice and that is how government does things. Hell the IRS started as a company. all the gov does is hire a contractor for the people .think I can pay my own bills, now the con to that is the actual job the gov is supposed to do wich is regulate it. Without them the companies vying for the contract would just do what cell phone companies do and make up a boiler contract across the board. We would have no alternative but to take it. With that in mind it ain’t a secret the feds are terrible at doing either of these. And privatization has been done it can work because it covers the majority of our political manifesto. Capatilism is privatization example of the argument at hand.
Utilities are in some areas privatized meaning you can pick and choose your power company wich makes for competitive rates better customer service and the damn techs show up on time. There are also areas where the are regulated meaning you have one Choice and if you have a grievance you must deal with the bureaucracy through the utility board. Wich is more frustrating then the power company. So yes this system is not ridiculous we do it every day. And in some instances it works, but as we have seen from history it can also create caste systems and allow business to incorporate and we end up with big pharm , Walmart and lobbyists. And fun facts fire departments are still private in a lot of places. My friends dad teaches fire and ems training and management at a school. And don’t forget about volunteer fire dept. they aren’t paid for with federal tax money, they aren’t paid the equipment and training are paid for at a community level. Still technically taxes I suppose but then again so is the light bill.as far as military is concerned I don’t think they care who pays them they only care about there team and getting everyone home in one piece. but I don’t think they enjoy being ordered into situations our leaders chose since those reasons were not the ones they swore to defend. Not that two towns won’t send there armies to die because of a bad call at homecoming. In summary I don’t even know if I had a point maybe I just wanted to rant because I enjoy most of the back and forth here it has a nice balance of debate with just enough reality tv mixed in. And I feel like it was headed in the wrong direction. Maybe these little nuggets will pull it back on the road. As you were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 2018
USA
What is killing the Post Office isn't that they aren't competitive: they are very cheap/reliable. The problem is all the JUNK MAIL. Bulk (aka "junk") mail uses about 75-80% of the post office's resources and only accounts for about 10-20% of the income. This is nothing less than subsidizing advertising for businesses, and at taxpayer expense no less. Add in the aggravation of junk mail filling mailboxes everyday, the massive waste of resources (how many trees are felled for worthless junk mail every year?), and it's little less than a disaster for the American taxpayer/consumer.

Cut out the junk/bulk mail and get rid of the unneeded workers, and the Post Office would be quite profitable, not that it needs to be profitable (it's supposed to be a public service, aka "profit neutral").

Last edited:
Reactions: Rescue Basket
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
What is killing the Post Office isn't that they aren't competitive: they are very cheap/reliable. The problem is all the JUNK MAIL. Bulk (aka "junk") mail uses about 75-80% of the post office's resources and only accounts for about 10-20% of the income. Thank the GOP for that, btw (got to make advertising cheap as possible for big business, even if it cost the taxpayers money!). This is nothing less than subsidizing advertising for businesses, at at taxpayer expense no less. Add in the aggravation of junk mail filling mailboxes everyday, the massive waste of resources (how many trees are felled for worthless junk mail every year?), and it's little less than a disaster for the American taxpayer/consumer.
Really? So NGOs and companies owned by Deemocrats do not want cheap advertising? They prefer to pay top dollar to reach the least amount of people? You seem to blame the GOP for everything! You sound worse than unreasonable? Do you blame the GOP when it rains or when the dog makes a mess on the carpet? Do you blame Trump when you internet goes down? Come on.
Cut out the junk/bulk mail and get rid of the unneeded workers, and the Post Office would be quite profitable, not that it needs to be profitable (it's supposed to be a public service, aka "profit neutral").
Now we are getting somewhere! As I said earlier:
If the post office can do well by cutting the fat and building up again then good for them. Or else let them die, it will be better for everyone since we won't have to pay for life support anymore.
And I am glad you have come to the same conclusion.
Actually, The Postal Service was designed to be self-sufficient and profitable — unlike other federal agencies, it does not live off dollars collected as taxes. Rather, it tries to cover its operating expenses by charging postage.

There was a time when the "health benefits" of being a mailman was only second to that of the milkman. Smiles

• Haha
Reactions: Rescue Basket
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Hi there,
I am a bit tired and can't cover everything you mentioned but than you for the great reply!
but as we have seen from history it can also create caste systems and allow business to incorporate and we end up with big pharm , Walmart and lobbyists.
I am not sure what caste system you are talking about but there are as many lobbyists, lobbying for liberal interests as there are for conservative. Donald Trump's biggest selling point was not the wall but that he is not a politician cannot be owned by anyone.

A lot of people believe the myth that big pharma is evil. The FDA is a real problem and needs to be abolished. Their original service was to ensure the safety of a product and not its efficacy. They do not approve of life-saving drugs that can save thousands or millions of lives because they know that they won't get in trouble for withholding a drug from being released. They do not so much do their own independent testing but rely on what the pharmaceutical companies themselves turn in to them. Remember, their job is supposed to only making sure that a product is safe and not its efficacy. this is why hundreds of thousands of Americans go to Mexico and other countries to buy life-saving medication and treatments.

Who stands to lose the most when Big Pharma fucks up? Big Pharma! People can and have put together class action lawsuits that have sued for billions and have put many pharmaceutical companies out of business. Big Pharma is VERY strict on testing its product before releasing it to the market but the FDA is the one that is stopping them and stopping lives from being saved.

Regulations licensing and certification do not guarantee or increase quality or safety. There are plenty of licensed teachers that molest or have sexual relations with their students.

When I get on a plane I have no idea who the pilot is or his qualification but I still feel very safe since it is the pilot who has the most to lose if something happens. Besides losing his job (if he and we survive) he is also a son, husband, and father, etc., and the last thing he wants to die or kill anyone or lose his job. However, if he is nuts and wants to crash the plane then all the certifications and licensing in the world won't make a difference.

Dec 2018
Indiana
... but there are as many lobbyists, lobbying for liberal interests as there are for conservative.
Bull shit. Show us. I bet you're confusing public interests with liberal interests. RW corporate lobbyists continually plead for special goodies and breaks -- that's why Republicans exist.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus