Question for US Citizens about NATO

Nov 2017
Is there a reason you think we ought to remain in NATO?

(If you answer this question on this thread, keep in mind given the title of this thread that by doing so, you are claiming to be a US Citizen unless you state that you are not a US Citizen.)

Nov 2013
NM
Two, actually

Is there a reason you think we ought to remain in NATO?

Yes. 1. The Russian Federation, their poor economic performance notwithstanding, still harbors illusions of someday, somehow becoming a great power in the World.

2. The PRC longs to return to great power status, & they're quite serious & capable, as they've pulled in a lot of the World's manufacturing & technology & have a trained workforce. They're playing a long game, & nibbling away wherever the West shows the slightest weakness or lack of attention.

Nov 2017
Yes. 1. The Russian Federation, their poor economic performance notwithstanding, still harbors illusions of someday, somehow becoming a great power in the World.

2. The PRC longs to return to great power status, & they're quite serious & capable, as they've pulled in a lot of the World's manufacturing & technology & have a trained workforce. They're playing a long game, & nibbling away wherever the West shows the slightest weakness or lack of attention.
Interesting; thanks. I'd be interested in seeing a rebuttal to this.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Interesting; thanks. I'd be interested in seeing a rebuttal to this.
you are serious, sorry.

NATO is vital in our national security. No man is an island. Our standard of living depends on international security. Noting, even our massive armaments keeps us as stable as does NATO.

We grew the free world dependant on us post ww2 not to be a nice guy but to ensure our stability and economic wealth.

Nov 2017
you are serious, sorry.

NATO is vital in our national security. No man is an island. Our standard of living depends on international security. Noting, even our massive armaments keeps us as stable as does NATO.

We grew the free world dependant on us post ww2 not to be a nice guy but to ensure our stability and economic wealth.
As a libertarian, I highly prefer non-interventionism. As a pragmatist, I get that non-interventionism is rather ideal but maybe not so practical.

I just now looked for information on how military spending by the US compares to the rest of the NATO members, and I was shocked at what I found - check out the pie chart here: How much NATO member spends on military in 2014 - Business Insider

Based on this comparison in the pie chart, the US is about 3/4ths of NATO. Is that price tag to be a part of NATO worth it to the US for the things you mention?

Jun 2013
Ohio
The only time that NATO invoked article 5 was after 9-11. Our allies came to our aide and sent troops to Afghanistan. What was your Dear Leader doing at the time ? He was signing up for government assistance set up for small businesses located near Ground Zero. Con Man vs. NATO...........I’ll take NATO thank you.

Apr 2013
Left coast
The only time that NATO invoked article 5 was after 9-11. Our allies came to our aide and sent troops to Afghanistan. What was your Dear Leader doing at the time ? He was signing up for government assistance set up for small businesses located near Ground Zero. Con Man vs. NATO...........I’ll take NATO thank you.
Odds are he was also furthering his medal count by boinking whatever had a hole in it.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
As a libertarian, I highly prefer non-interventionism. As a pragmatist, I get that non-interventionism is rather ideal but maybe not so practical.

I just now looked for information on how military spending by the US compares to the rest of the NATO members, and I was shocked at what I found - check out the pie chart here: How much NATO member spends on military in 2014 - Business Insider

Based on this comparison in the pie chart, the US is about 3/4ths of NATO. Is that price tag to be a part of NATO worth it to the US for the things you mention?
That chart is a little disingenuous. It doesn't mention that most of those countries have MUCH smaller populations that we do. We have more people than the four largest countries combined.

Two I think we spend WAY too much on our military. We spend as much as the next 6 or 7 biggest spenders, including Russia, Saudi and China again COMBINED. I think we really need to ask exactly WHOSE interests are we protecting ?? Is it REALLY in our national interest ?? Or is the military little more than government funded security for corporate interests ? The only branch of our military that has a mandate is the Navy and that is to keep shipping lanes open. But our presence in the most troubled waters, off the Somalia coast, isn't that large. Or carriers are every where else but there.