Record Numbers of Americans Want to Leave the U.S.

Dec 2016
Canada
Here's something I was going to post earlier, but forgot about:

Record Numbers of Americans Want to Leave the U.S.

During the first two years of the Trump administration, a record-high one in five U.S. women (20%) said they would like to move to another country permanently if they could. This is twice the average for women during the Obama (10%) or Bush years (11%) and almost twice the level among men (13%) under Trump. Before the Trump years, there was no difference between men's and women's desires to move.​
The 30% of Americans younger than 30 who would like to move also represents a new high -- and it is also the group in which the gender gap is the largest. Forty percent of women younger than 30 said they would like to move, compared with 20% of men in this age group. These gender gaps narrow with age and eventually disappear after age 50.​
Desire to migrate among the poorest 20% of Americans during Trump's first two years is also at record levels. It is more than twice as high as the average during Obama's two terms. So far under Trump, three in 10 Americans (30%) in the poorest 20% say they would like to migrate if they could, compared with an average of 13% under Obama.​
But more than anything else, Trump himself may be the primary motivator. Regression analysis shows that regardless of differences by gender, age or income -- if Americans disapprove of the job Trump is doing as president, they are more likely to want to leave the U.S. Overall, 22% of Americans who disapproved of Trump's job performance during his first two years said they would like to move, compared with 7% who approved.​
Destination Canada?
Before and after Trump's election, many Americans -- particularly Democrats -- threatened to move to Canada (as Republicans did after Obama was elected). Canada always has been one of the top desired destinations for Americans, but that desire has only increased since Trump's election. In 2018, more than one in four Americans (26%) who would like to move named Canada as the place they would like to go, up from 12% in 2016.​
It's important to note that people's desire to migrate is typically much higher than their intention to do so -- as such, it is unlikely that Americans will be flocking to the Canadian border. In fact, since Trump's election, Canadian statistics show only a modest uptick in the number of Americans who have moved to Canada.​
Bottom Line
After years of remaining flat, the number of Americans -- particularly young women -- who desire to leave the U.S. permanently is on the rise. This increase is concerning, but none of this suggests that the U.S. is going to suddenly see a mass migration in which it could lose as many as 40% of its young women.​
However, the "Trump effect" on Americans' desire to migrate is a new manifestation of the increasing political polarization in the U.S. Before Trump took office, Americans' approval or disapproval of the president was not a push factor in their desire to migrate.​
Dato Tsabutashvili contributed to this analysis.
For complete methodology and specific survey dates, please review Gallup's Country Data Set details.
The most alarming stat from the full article is: 40% of women younger than 30 would like to leave the U.S.
Gallop may say: " none of this suggests that the U.S. is going to suddenly see a mass migration," BUT under 30's are the age demographic with the greatest opportunities to emigrate within any population. If Trumpified America loses a large number of the 40% of young women who say they would like to leave, then good luck with having enough white babies....or should I say good luck with getting a date! It may be time for Trump fans to just give up and join the Incel Movement!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Every time we have a presidential election we hear celebs and others threaten to move so I'm not surprised that THIS unpopular presidency would create the same scenario and Trump's misogyny hasn't helped. But the U.S. has an even bigger problem: Birth rates in the U.S. are falling.
From NPR--2018:
The birthrate fell for nearly every group of women of reproductive age in the U.S. in 2017, reflecting a sharp drop that saw the fewest newborns since 1987, according to a new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
There were 3,853,472 births in the U.S. in 2017 — "down 2 percent from 2016 and the lowest number in 30 years," the CDC said.
The general fertility rate sank to a record low of 60.2 births per 1,000 women between the ages of 15 and 44 — a 3 percent drop from 2016, the CDC said in its tally of provisional data for the year.
The results put the U.S. further away from a viable replacement rate – the standard for a generation being able to replicate its numbers.

In addition, the babies that ARE being born are no longer blue-eyed blondies. They are every color of the rainbow because of mixed marriages. We've discussed this before. Our population is getting smaller and more racially diverse. This SHOULD be a red flag to our political parties. (Sorry if I high-jacked your thread, R.) Back to topic.

If I were 20 years younger I might consider moving, but (sorry) not to Canada--although I love our Canadian neighbors. It's just too darn cold. I would move to someplace like one of the Virgin Islands--St. Croix, St. John or St. Thomas.
Great places to retire!

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Tell you a thing on the same sort of wave-length - thousands of Jewish people, descendants of refugees from Hitler, are applying for German citizenship to escape Brexit. Some of my ancestors looked quite Jewish, so I'm wondering about my chances!

Sep 2015
Stage Left
i would love to move back to Europe, and i dont even care what job i would end up with either. Southern Europe, Italy for sure! or idk, always wanted to be in Barcelona too.

Canada, just way too cold.....

Nov 2012
Rhondda
i would love to move back to Europe, and i dont even care what job i would end up with either. Southern Europe, Italy for sure! or idk, always wanted to be in Barcelona too.

Canada, just way too cold.....
Barcelona nearly finished me off, it was so hot, and the Ramblas was full of crooks cheating on the change. Go for Venice every time. I'm afraid any claim to Italian citizenship I might have would go right back to the Roman Empire! Pity!

Sep 2015
Stage Left
Barcelona nearly finished me off, it was so hot, and the Ramblas was full of crooks cheating on the change. Go for Venice every time. I'm afraid any claim to Italian citizenship I might have would go right back to the Roman Empire! Pity!
my family came from Catanzaro, way down in the very south if Italy. we still have contact with relatives that stayed after their huge earthquake in like 1904 or 05. i saw Venice and it is beautiful omg. Giorgia has a video of one of her songs in Venice and i watched it like a million times lol

Nov 2012
nirvana
Every time we have a presidential election we hear celebs and others threaten to move so I'm not surprised that THIS unpopular presidency would create the same scenario and Trump's misogyny hasn't helped. But the U.S. has an even bigger problem: Birth rates in the U.S. are falling.
From NPR--2018:
The birthrate fell for nearly every group of women of reproductive age in the U.S. in 2017, reflecting a sharp drop that saw the fewest newborns since 1987, according to a new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
There were 3,853,472 births in the U.S. in 2017 — "down 2 percent from 2016 and the lowest number in 30 years," the CDC said.
The general fertility rate sank to a record low of 60.2 births per 1,000 women between the ages of 15 and 44 — a 3 percent drop from 2016, the CDC said in its tally of provisional data for the year.
The results put the U.S. further away from a viable replacement rate – the standard for a generation being able to replicate its numbers.

In addition, the babies that ARE being born are no longer blue-eyed blondies. They are every color of the rainbow because of mixed marriages. We've discussed this before. Our population is getting smaller and more racially diverse. This SHOULD be a red flag to our political parties. (Sorry if I high-jacked your thread, R.) Back to topic.

If I were 20 years younger I might consider moving, but (sorry) not to Canada--although I love our Canadian neighbors. It's just too darn cold. I would move to someplace like one of the Virgin Islands--St. Croix, St. John or St. Thomas.
Great places to retire!
This is a result of technology and education fast outpacing the past era where urban America wants no part of the rural conservative lifestyle. It not so much that they dont respect those that still live it. They are just fed up with having to be held back by it. America is growing more Liberal and tolerant at a faster and faster pace, and there is a whole section of America fighting that with every fiber of their being.

Dec 2016
Canada
From NPR--2018:

Great places to retire!
It's perfect right now....provided you've spent any time in the past up in the Far North, and kept some of the clothing...starting with a goose down parka! Cause the wonders of messing with the larger climate system has meant that we have virtually cancelled out that 'Jet Stream' current that used to maintain regular, slow moving weather patterns across North America....no longer!

Our local forecast from Environment Canada has posted an Extreme Cold Warning for tonight and tomorrow, with temperature/combined wind chills tonight expected to fall close to -40...the point where celcius and fahrenheit intersect and I don't need to do a quick calculation to translate celsius numbers into normal numbers I can relate to! Same goes for the rest of the metric system for that matter.....we've been converted since about 45 years ago, but I still think in fahrenheit, miles, feet, pounds, gallons etc.!
But, Mr. Polar Vortex is supposed to move out this Friday, and return something a little more usual for winter up here. In the more distant future, there may be millions of people moving north into Canada to try to escape extreme heat in the south....until then, in most places you just have to check the forecast Every day and dress accordingly. You never know what to expect anymore from one week to the next!

In the near term though, the downside for anyone moving to Canada to escape the extreme neoliberal demolishing of social programs and health, safety and labour regulations is that Canada is under more pressure than ever to conform to US standards...so we appear to be getting swallowed up by the BORG to our south. Our servile, spineless Liberal Prime Minister has signed us over to the even more avaricious Trump version of NAFTA...as if the first one wasn't bad enough. And, for reasons that are not made clear to the public, our Government and vassal media have been right on the frontline propagandizing for regime change in Venezuela....in so doing, violating its UN charter and international law regarding the principles of non-interference! So, Canada is not the same Canada we grew up with and may change right before our eyes. I'll have to pick out my Caribbean retreat also after I'm retired!