REJECT OPEN-MINDEDNESS - more unsolicited advice for the young

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Thanks.

Are you suggesting that prejudging new things is a wise course?
Absolutely.

Aren't I judging people?

To not judge means to not assess the world around you, make distinctions between objects, and take appropriate action based on what you know. To claim one doesn't judge is either an evasion or a confession of stupidity.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Absolutely.

Aren't I judging people?

To not judge means to not assess the world around you, make distinctions between objects, and take appropriate action based on what you know. To claim one doesn't judge is either an evasion or a confession of stupidity.
Oh personal judgement is fine in your personal sphere, essential.

But it's presumptuous at the very least for me to insist others believe as I do.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
I do not think I am open minded enough to see the value of this pointless thread.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Yet, you lament the outcomes resulting from those who are free to choose.
I may be wrong but I do not believe they chose freely.

People who live chaotically are amusing to watch from a distance, but their refusal of stability means they never build towards anything and never end up anywhere. If you care for someone who gravitates toward chaos, lend them a kind hand if you think they want out, but do not let them pull you into their storm of nihilism.

The alienated and socially awkward often find acceptance from other alienated, like awkward youth by acting out roles. However, this not only keeps well-adjusted people away, but also provides the actors with no self-discovery from playing their role; only the eventual realization that such acting is not fulfilling, followed by a recognition of the absurdity of the act and how much time was wasted in conforming to foolishness.

I do not claim to be right, imaginethat. I might be totally wrong about something or everything. My assumptions might be based on something someone else told you that sounds good but lacks any basis in truth. If I really want to know then throw everything away and start over, as I do almost daily.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I may be wrong but I do not believe they chose freely.

People who live chaotically are amusing to watch from a distance, but their refusal of stability means they never build towards anything and never end up anywhere. If you care for someone who gravitates toward chaos, lend them a kind hand if you think they want out, but do not let them pull you into their storm of nihilism.

The alienated and socially awkward often find acceptance from other alienated, like awkward youth by acting out roles. However, this not only keeps well-adjusted people away, but also provides the actors with no self-discovery from playing their role; only the eventual realization that such acting is not fulfilling, followed by a recognition of the absurdity of the act and how much time was wasted in conforming to foolishness.

I do not claim to be right, imaginethat. I might be totally wrong about something or everything. My assumptions might be based on something someone else told you that sounds good but lacks any basis in truth. If I really want to know then throw everything away and start over, as I do almost daily.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question.
I shared my opinion on enlightenment as being the goal down a path of an infinite number os steps, so whether two or two million steps down the path, the goal remains infinitely far away.

The acquisition of knowledge is similar, not identical but similar, imo.

Reactions: FreeToChoose