Religion is stupid

Aug 2018
USA
None of you can empirically or rationally justify your beliefs. I bet you ten thousand infinity dollars that you cannot provide any sound evidence whatsoever.

Dec 2015
Arizona
It depends in what way you are belittling it. Right now I am belittling everyone's faith on the basis that religion is inherently not based on reason and evidence but on faith.
Faith is defined as complete confidence in someone or something. That something ranges from trust to expectation--from hope to ideology to inspiration. Faith is part of everyday life. Why should religion be exempt or belittled? I support reason too. In fact, I think that both should be conjoined.
“Science requires faith too before it can have reasons." Richard Dawkins
It is true that scientists take certain things on faith. It is also true that religious narratives might speak to human needs that scientific theories can’t hope to satisfy.
But my religion supplies MORE than faith. It gives me rules to follow--guideposts--and comfort.
Why should that be belittled? Doesn't everyone need a little faith? In something or someone?

Reactions: leekohler2
Feb 2019
here and there
None of you can empirically or rationally justify your beliefs. I bet you ten thousand infinity dollars that you cannot provide any sound evidence whatsoever.
Is a witness evidence? In a court of law it is. I can provide a great number of witnesses as to whether God is real or not.

Feb 2019
here and there
No, you can’t. You can provide people that have experienced something that they attribute to God but that is not a witness as to whether God is real or not.
So if you are standing at the Red Sea and Moses yells to the crowd, "Here us O God!" and the waters part these people are not witnesses to the existence of God?

Aug 2018
USA
Faith is defined as complete confidence in someone or something. That something ranges from trust to expectation--from hope to ideology to inspiration. Faith is part of everyday life. Why should religion be exempt or belittled? I support reason too. In fact, I think that both should be conjoined.
“Science requires faith too before it can have reasons." Richard Dawkins
It is true that scientists take certain things on faith. It is also true that religious narratives might speak to human needs that scientific theories can’t hope to satisfy.
But my religion supplies MORE than faith. It gives me rules to follow--guideposts--and comfort.
Why should that be belittled? Doesn't everyone need a little faith? In something or someone?
The true scientific way is to literally have no beliefs whatsoever. I know that sounds ridiculous if not impossible due to the human error of mistaking things for facts when they are not but that is why even scientists are not "scientific thinkers" in general. It is true that most people including scientists have faith based beliefs, and this is due to how society conditions us to think and because humans think this way to at least some degree by default. But if you were truly trying to be as objective as possible, and truly placed truth above all else, then you would literally refuse to believe in anything whatsoever until it is thoroughly proven and even then acknowledge that you might be wrong.