Religion is toxic

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
I am not an atheist but how dare you tell anyone else they are going to hell because they don't believe in your specific delusion, my hatred of religion doesn't mean there is no god, as voltaire once said ,
Voltaire > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh.”

― Voltaire

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I listen to a podcast called “The Scathing Atheist” and the latest episode had a remarkable rant. It’s something that I’ve known for quite some time but the host was able to put it in a way that never occurred to me.

The three words that has led to all innovation by humans are “I don’t know”. And those three words are not allowed in religion.

Nov 2005
California
I listen to a podcast called “The Scathing Atheist” and the latest episode had a remarkable rant. It’s something that I’ve known for quite some time but the host was able to put it in a way that never occurred to me.

The three words that has led to all innovation by humans are “I don’t know”. And those three words are not allowed in religion.
That's one of the things that bugs me about Trump and too much of modern Republicanism.
Instead of looking for answers, they just make up crap. And worse, like religion, it's stuff that is made up that is convenient for maintaining a power base.

I have wondered if that tactic of making crap up instead of looking for truthful answers is possibly partially based in religious apologetics and the religious tactic of pronouncing supernatural /mystical / magical causes instead of an honest and truthful investigation.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Not all religion is toxic. Unfortunately (like everything else in this country) the religious Right has collectively decided that THEY and ONLY THEY know the truth. It's an arrogance that is offensive. Their judgment overrides all others. Their God is a very small God. Their heaven and hell are exclusive clubs. Their religious history is the only history. Their interpretations are the ONLY interpretations and as if that isn't vile enough they have twisted some of the very foundations of the Christian religion to suit their purposes. In their view, all other religions are not only wrong but downright repellent.

There are roughly 4000 religions in the world today and each of them has some things in common. 1) A belief in a higher power 2) Tenets which include faith in the unseen 3) A version of deliverance 4) Both fear and hope to guide their lives.

AND most of these religions predate 1000 years or more of archaic writings and interpretations. Books like the Bible were written in a time without telescopes, microscopes, technology, progression---a time when cultural norms were completely different. Atrocities have been carried out in the name of God and religion. Every culture on Earth is guilty of that.

Our young people today are leaving organized religions by the thousands.....and I can understand why. Just look at the hypocrisy coming from Evangelicals.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Not all religion is toxic. Unfortunately (like everything else in this country) the religious Right has collectively decided that THEY and ONLY THEY know the truth. It's an arrogance that is offensive. Their judgment overrides all others. Their God is a very small God. Their heaven and hell are exclusive clubs. Their religious history is the only history. Their interpretations are the ONLY interpretations and as if that isn't vile enough they have twisted some of the very foundations of the Christian religion to suit their purposes. In their view, all other religions are not only wrong but downright repellent.

There are roughly 4000 religions in the world today and each of them has some things in common. 1) A belief in a higher power 2) Tenets which include faith in the unseen 3) A version of deliverance 4) Both fear and hope to guide their lives.

AND most of these religions predate 1000 years or more of archaic writings and interpretations. Books like the Bible were written in a time without telescopes, microscopes, technology, progression---a time when cultural norms were completely different. Atrocities have been carried out in the name of God and religion. Every culture on Earth is guilty of that.

Our young people today are leaving organized religions by the thousands.....and I can understand why. Just look at the hypocrisy coming from Evangelicals.
Any belief system based on faith and not on facts is toxic. Some are more toxic than others no doubt but replacing faith with facts is a problem.

May 2019
Oklahoma

Sure they are. I don't know and still choose to have a Christianized framework because I'm not limited in my thinking to the point that I can't imagine or theorize a creator in my small, limited mind. Anything else?

May 2018
USA
We can consider that a "silver lining" :D "Nones" are the single biggest voting block in America now, bigger than Catholics OR Evangelicals. Thanks, Evangelicals!

Reactions: Clara007
May 2018
USA
Sure they are. I don't know and still choose to have a Christianized framework because I'm not limited in my thinking to the point that I can't imagine or theorize a creator in my small, limited mind. Anything else?
I'm so unlimited in my thinking that I can't imagine NEEDING an imaginary friend in the first place.

Reactions: RNG
Oct 2019
USA
I am not an atheist but how dare you tell anyone else they are going to hell because they don't believe in your specific delusion, my hatred of religion doesn't mean there is no god, as voltaire once said ,
Voltaire > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh.”

― Voltaire

I don't see faith in a nobody like Voltaire as any different than faith in anything else, to be honest.

Why does one need to invoke Voltaire as though he is a Catholic saint to be prayed to?