Remembering 9/11

Jul 2019
Georgia
easily one of the worst days of my life, and definitely the worst event that happened in America in my lifetime

I was sleeping at my girlfriend's apartment in Valdosta, GA when her roommate busted in the door with the news (this was after the 2nd tower was hit)

they didn't cancel classes for some reason so went to my Psychology class and the professor rambled on while all of our jaws were dropped, then went to my Political Science class (which was a class on the 2000 election) The professor asked me if I thought this would have happened if the 2000 election went differently, and I went off on him. Tears in my eyes. He hugged me at the end of class. Then I met up with a friend who's dad worked at the Pentagon (he was ok) and we tried to drink the horror away but it didn't work.

18 years later it's still surreal. Vibes to everyone who lost a loved one, I know this day is extra hard for them

My son's school always does an incredible tribute (this is his first year attending the school) but I look forward to seeing that later today.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I was a freshman in high school (yes I know, I'm young)

1st period: English. We were taking a tour of the school library. First tower was hit but I didn't find out until second period
2nd period: SHAA. Study Hall and Assistance. It was a period for students who needed a little extra help. We turned on the TV after the second tower had been hit. Turned the TV off to do some lessons and when we turned it back on, the 1st tower had already fallen.
3rd period: Biology. We never turned the TV on and focused on the lesson. I got a message from the office that my dad's flight from Madison to NYC had been canceled.
4th period: German. We had the TV on for the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes. Frau Fererah was a stickler.
5th period: Social Studies. I hated the teacher Mr. Schmitz, but he at least had the sense to drop the lesson and keep the TV on. We watched as the second tower fell.
6th period: Lunch. I walked to the China Wok lunch buffet with my buddies Ross and Tory. We uncomfortably made jokes along the way.
7th period: Gym. A good opportunity to let off some steam. My buddy Brian told me our friend Tyler in NYC was safe.
8th period: Math. The last period of the day and Ms. Anderson was still emotional about everything.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
I was at work, turned on the news on the break room TV, same ol' talking heads, went to the cafeteria, came back with my breakfast First Tower was on the screen Burning.

everything at the hospital died.. ER was empty, very little activity in Out Patient, and inpatient services.

We all stood around jaws dropped..

Few days later I took a leave of absence, Southern Baptist Disaster Relief went supplying water and meals for recovery effort teams

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I was at work, turned on the news on the break room TV, same ol' talking heads, went to the cafeteria, came back with my breakfast First Tower was on the screen Burning.

everything at the hospital died.. ER was empty, very little activity in Out Patient, and inpatient services.

We all stood around jaws dropped..

Few days later I took a leave of absence, Southern Baptist Disaster Relief went supplying water and meals for recovery effort teams
You and I disagree politically on essentially everything. Posts like this are a good reminder that just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them a bad person. People are losing site of that more and more these days.

Apr 2019
America
Islamic Terror: In the Name of Allah

"I am one of the servants of Allah. We do our duty of fighting for the sake of the religion of Allah. It is also our duty to send a call to all the people of the world to enjoy this great light and to embrace Islam and experience the happiness in Islam...

"Our primary mission is nothing but the furthering of this religion.
"

Osama bin Laden, May 1998
[The Taliban are] "a simply band of dedicated youths determined to establish the laws of Allah on earth... The Taliban will fight until there is no blood in Afghanistan left to shed, and Islam becomes a way of life four our people."

Mullah Omar, Taliban leader
"They have one purpose, they are fighting to impose Sharia on earth."

Sayfullo Saipov, who mowed down New Yorkers in 2017 for ISIS, explaining the goals of that organization

It's far easier to act as if critics of Islam have a problem with Muslims as people than it is to accept the uncomfortable truth that Islam is different.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
I recall exactly where I was--- in kitchen watching TV just before heading off to work as second tower was hit. My thought was... this is not an accident..this is war. Nothing will be the same again..
The national shut-down of air travel and the disappearance of the government for days stick in my mind. It always seemed to me that Bush should have walked down the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue and back into the White House rather than cowering in some bunker for days.