Republicans Attempt Last Minute Block to Unemployment Compensations

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
We certainly do not want the lowest paid worker to get too much...

" ...A group of Republican senators, including South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, held a news conference Wednesday afternoon to raise objections to the structure of the unemployment insurance provisions in the coronavirus stimulus bill.

They argued the current language, with a $600 boost in unemployment benefits, could allow people to make more money with unemployment insurance than they would in their current job, and thus boost unemployment numbers nationally.

A Republican Senate aide said the $600 figure was a compromise between getting the assistance out quickly and trying to make up the difference between average wages and average weekly unemployment benefits....

• Wow
Reactions: Clara007
Mar 2020
Woodlands, Texas
Why wouldn't the poorest get more not less than the richest that is what I don't understand.
The working poor contribute a much larger part of their small paychecks than people with six-figure jobs.
They have been barely getting by as it was they had no chance to save for an emergency.
THE POOR NEED MORE maybe if that was chanted on the radio constantly somebody would listen.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
One other factor not mentioned, if this payment to 100 people reduces one severe case requiring ventilation which could easily cost $100K or more, the overall social cost will be worth it.

Reactions: PrincessPoptart
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Why wouldn't the poorest get more not less than the richest that is what I don't understand.
The working poor contribute a much larger part of their small paychecks than people with six-figure jobs.
They have been barely getting by as it was they had no chance to save for an emergency.
THE POOR NEED MORE maybe if that was chanted on the radio constantly somebody would listen.
Good thoughts. Unfortunately, it triggers and violates the most profound fear of Republicans:

"Somewhere someone, who is poorer than I, is getting something for free."

Mar 2020
Woodlands, Texas
Good thoughts. Unfortunately, it triggers and violates the most profound fear of Republicans:

"Somewhere someone, who is poorer than I, is getting something for free."
Ooh, that's good but you should rhyme it like this:

Somewhere, there's someone whose poorer than me,
We cannot let them get something for free.

Surely they've got all that they really need,
anything more would be feeding their greed.

Why should I pay some big fat welfare queen,
to sit on her ass and stare at a screen?

I need to keep all the money I get.
The Broncs beat the Texans and I'm still in debt.

*snap* That's what I'll say to my Trump-smelling wife!
It's the poor, yes the poor who have ruined our life.

Jul 2015
chicago
I am having my pay cut to a level consistent with what I would get paid if I was on unemployment. I am left with the question: Should I go with unemployment instead of the pay cut? Is it right to pay me more to not work? This is the point. Is it good to pay people more to not work? I think a compromise on this issue should happen.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I am having my pay cut to a level consistent with what I would get paid if I was on unemployment. I am left with the question: Should I go with unemployment instead of the pay cut? Is it right to pay me more to not work? This is the point. Is it good to pay people more to not work? I think a compromise on this issue should happen.
Either unemployment in the US is very, very generous or you have a burger-flipper level job.

Or you work for a large corporation that pays their execs multimillion bonuses and used all its money on stock buybacks and dividends.

Reactions: se7en and Camelot
Jul 2015
chicago
Either unemployment in the US is very, very generous or you have a burger-flipper level job.

Or you work for a large corporation that pays their execs multimillion bonuses and used all its money on stock buybacks and dividends.
I manage a creative department in an industry that has been very hard hit by the virus restrictions. So I am a manager who works for a small business. The business has lost within three weeks about 30% of its business. It is in jeopardy of closing for good. I laid off everybody in my small department last week and now my income has been dramatically reduced and will not be able to pay my bills but thanks for your "burger flipping" comment.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I manage a creative department in an industry that has been very hard hit by the virus restrictions. So I am a manager who works for a small business. The business has lost within three weeks about 30% of its business. It is in jeopardy of closing for good. I laid off everybody in my small department last week and now my income has been dramatically reduced and will not be able to pay my bills but thanks for your "burger flipping" comment.
You did not choose well.

Reactions: se7en
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Interesting your concept of "compromise" presumably means change in position of Democrats.

It is a pragmatic solution that is easily implemented.

If that is hard to understand, consider:
Should farmers be paid not to plan crops?
Why pay people not working, at all??
The implications may make your head explode, @justoneman.