Republicans on Gun Control

Aug 2019
Florida
Well

Is it going to be the Republicans in the forefront of the next gun control legislation?

Really the Brady Bill and the Assault weapons ban came out of the Reagan Administration. It just took a long time to get through congress.

Will be an interesting story to watch.

Mar 2018
Grayson
Well

Is it going to be the Republicans in the forefront of the next gun control legislation?

Really the Brady Bill and the Assault weapons ban came out of the Reagan Administration. It just took a long time to get through congress.

I keep repeating over and over that most major gun legislation (save of the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban... and it had a shelf life) was signed by Republican presidents.

Donald Trump is the most anti-gun president in the history of the United States. Period.

Mar 2018
Grayson
How come you ask me that and then post something unrelated that ought to be addressed separately? Okay, as to your question:

1) Donald Trump violated the Constitution on THREE points with the bump stock ban:

A) The obvious Second Amendment violation

B) Ex post facto laws (i.e. destroy or surrender your bump stock) are prohibited in the Constitution (Article 1 Section 9 of the Constitution)

C) Government must compensate citizens when they take personal property

2) Immediately after going after bump stocks, Hitler... I mean Trump said he was going after silencers:

Trump says he will 'seriously look' at banning 'silencers' after Virginia Beach shooting. Here's why that makes no sense

3) Trump has been anti - gun for many years. A quote from his 2000 book, The America We Deserve:

"I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun,"

After the Parkland shooting, the president, during a meeting with members of Congress, supported taking guns away from potentially dangerous people early and worrying about due process later.

"I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man's case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time," the president said at the time.

"Take the guns first, go through due process second," he added
."

What Trump has said about gun control in the past

Red Flag Gun laws - take the guns then ask a psychologist or psychiatrist, who almost to a man (or woman) is anti gun to recommend you get your "privileges" back. What a joke!

4) Trump supporters think he's playing the media. The bump stock ban refutes that notion. I have a couple more. Trump's pick for Attorney General is anti-gun:

Did Trump just nominate a gun-grabber for Attorney General? | Gun Owners of America

Trump's head of ATF is a Jack Booted Thug type anti- gun guy:

Trump’s Pick to lead ATF has Supported Gun Control | Gun Owners of America

How many examples do you need to reach the same conclusion I did?

Finally, you do realize that I have offered legislation to reduce mass shootings by 90 percent with no tax increases, no new bureaucracies and NO gun control, right? Best of all, it addresses people who are going down that path to mental instability way before they ever buy a gun, using a civil intervention to get them the help they need.

Jul 2019
Georgia
1. I'll give him credit for the bump stock ban. And I commend him on that.

2. I don't think I knew he wanted to ban silencers, but I guess that's a good thing. Oh wait it says he "said" he'll "seriously look at", therefore I'll wait til it happens before I'll believe it

regardless, those are accessories, not guns

3. Yes, he's flipped-flopped a lot on issues in his life. What his book-writer wrote 19 years ago certainly doesn't dictate what he does as president

4. that doesn't make him the most anti-gun president ever either if true,

5. I don't know who you are, or what legislation you have offered, sorry

anyway the world's most anti-gun president ever tweeted today that the NRA's "very strong views" will be "fully represented and respected" on his upcoming "serious talks" about background checks

that'd be like saying "we're having some serious talks about the opoid crisis, and Big Pharma's very strong views will be fully represented and respected"

so yeah I still disagree.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
Florida
The republican antics will be fun to watch. Like most everything there will be lots of talk and no action.

I would be completely shocked if mitch even lets a background check bill get to the senate floor. Much less anything more restrictive.

It would be absolutely hilarious if Trump did something, like he did with his bump stock ban, through executive action.

Those 2nd amendment guys would have a stroke.

But again i am not worried. Just like when Obama was elected. Nobody is going to take our guns.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
Well

Are you talking about the Red Flag Bill or as I like to call it the "Better Than Nothing" Bill?? It's as if the 3 Amigos: Graham, Blumenthal and Rubio woke up after a long siesta during which hundreds of people died and said "HEY! Let's offer a little something to satisfy all the grieving families. Anything will do." So basically........
Family members and members of law enforcement can ask the court system to intervene when a person is deemed to be a risk to themselves or others. AND what is the definition of “risk”? What is the time table--the process? From what I've read the protection orders are temporary. 17 states and D.C. already have some version of the law.
So do they work? That has yet to be determined. AND here's the rub for the political party who claims "Guns don't kill people": If guns don't kill people then WHY propose a BILL that may possibly delay the purchase of a gun? After decades of denial?
The NRA will NEVER allow this. The HOUSE will never pass this without attaching Universal Background Checks so....where does this leave us? Right back where we started.

Jul 2019
Georgia
there's a reason Moscow Mitch has sat on the House Background Check bill for 5 months

and it probably has to do with a check he's getting in the background

Mar 2018
Grayson
1. I'll give him credit for the bump stock ban. And I commend him on that.

2. I don't think I knew he wanted to ban silencers, but I guess that's a good thing. Oh wait it says he "said" he'll "seriously look at", therefore I'll wait til it happens before I'll believe it

regardless, those are accessories, not guns

3. Yes, he's flipped-flopped a lot on issues in his life. What his book-writer wrote 19 years ago certainly doesn't dictate what he does as president

4. that doesn't make him the most anti-gun president ever either if true,

5. I don't know who you are, or what legislation you have offered, sorry

anyway the world's most anti-gun president ever tweeted today that the NRA's "very strong views" will be "fully represented and respected" on his upcoming "serious talks" about background checks

that'd be like saying "we're having some serious talks about the opoid crisis, and Big Pharma's very strong views will be fully represented and respected"

so yeah I still disagree.
It is what it is, but I presented the facts. Liberals know if they can't outlaw the weapons, they will eliminate them a feature at a time - magazines, pistol grips, bump stocks, flash hiders, folding stocks, bayonet lugs, etc. Sometimes they try to ban features they don't even know about:

Trump's right there with them. Insofar as silencers, you displayed a fair amount of ignorance.

While silencers are glamorized in Hollywood, they do NOT completely silence a firearm. They do save a lot of wear and tear on ears and if you're shooting centerfire weapons, don't forget to keep wearing your hearing protection even while using the silencer.