Rethinking Public Education

Dec 2015
Arizona
If you've been following the Ohio special election thread the discussion veered off into why cities tend to favor the Democratic Party. One reason offered (by me) is that urban areas tend to be more educated/more diverse than country dwellers. Obviously there is disagreement on this. So my friend Hollywood offered this statement:
One can only wonder why there are no conservatives in the field of higher education.
One can only assume they really don't give the slightest fuck about it, other that to whine OTHER people are not doling is right.
Which brings us to this thread.

It comes as no surprise that MANY on the Right are disgusted with public education and higher education and it begs the question that IF the RW/GOP is so distraught over public schools WHY don't more conservatives become educators and "FIX" the ailing public schools.
So that's question number one.

BUT we're starting with a POP Quiz. Republicans want to privatize public schools because--Multiple Choice:

a) Education is a multibillion dollar market, and the private sector is eager to get its hands on those dollars.
b) Conservatives are devoted to the free market and believe that private is inherently superior to public.
c) Shrinking public education furthers the Republican Party goal of drastically reducing the public sector.
d) Privatization undermines teacher unions, a key base of support for the Democratic Party.
e) Privatization rhetoric can be used to woo African American and Latino voters to the Republican Party.
f) All the above

The correct answer is f. All the above.

The new buzz word in politics and education is: Vouchers.
The word may seem harmless, but it's wrapped in political deceit and very PARTISAN political meaning and leaning. School vouchers are a way to diminish power. School choice allows children and money to leave the public school system, and that means there will be fewer public teacher jobs, lower union membership, and lower dues. It's a great way to destroy public schools.

Most Americans support public education, maybe because it's so....well...American! Apple pie. Flag waving. The idea that every child would be and should be educated was pretty exciting, back in the day. Most parents WANT their children educated because they want them to have happy, healthy, productive lives and education opens doors. So why the debate over public education?

Feb 2018
ohio
If you've been following the Ohio special election thread the discussion veered off into why cities tend to favor the Democratic Party. One reason offered (by me) is that urban areas tend to be more educated/more diverse than country dwellers. Obviously there is disagreement on this. So my friend Hollywood offered this statement:

Which brings us to this thread.

It comes as no surprise that MANY on the Right are disgusted with public education and higher education and it begs the question that IF the RW/GOP is so distraught over public schools WHY don't more conservatives become educators and "FIX" the ailing public schools.
So that's question number one.

BUT we're starting with a POP Quiz. Republicans want to privatize public schools because--Multiple Choice:

a) Education is a multibillion dollar market, and the private sector is eager to get its hands on those dollars.
b) Conservatives are devoted to the free market and believe that private is inherently superior to public.
c) Shrinking public education furthers the Republican Party goal of drastically reducing the public sector.
d) Privatization undermines teacher unions, a key base of support for the Democratic Party.
e) Privatization rhetoric can be used to woo African American and Latino voters to the Republican Party.
f) All the above

The correct answer is f. All the above.

The new buzz word in politics and education is: Vouchers.
The word may seem harmless, but it's wrapped in political deceit and very PARTISAN political meaning and leaning. School vouchers are a way to diminish power. School choice allows children and money to leave the public school system, and that means there will be fewer public teacher jobs, lower union membership, and lower dues. It's a great way to destroy public schools.

Most Americans support public education, maybe because it's so....well...American! Apple pie. Flag waving. The idea that every child would be and should be educated was pretty exciting, back in the day. Most parents WANT their children educated because they want them to have happy, healthy, productive lives and education opens doors. So why the debate over public education?
Actually Clicker said it perfectly in the other thread, and this has not started as a discussion you started it as a hit piece on anyone who disagrees with you. You people continue to disparage people who do not live in the big cities at your own peril, we are very smart, and have something you do not comprehend, common sense.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
The correct answer is that there is a huge market for private education by parents who want a much better education for their kids, better quality teachers, and a better quality administrative staff.

What students will not get in a private school: forced indoctrination, forced diversity, counter productive government interference, violence, apathtic and SJW teachers, administrative non-treaching staff out of proportion to teaching staff, brain-dead school boards, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Children sent to a christian school, children sent to a right leaning school, children sent to any private school with a "theme" or agenda won't get forced indoctrination? What a joke.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
All that being said, I'm in favor of "charter schools" as we call them, with some strong caveates and applied regulations. This preference could be diluted or eliminated with some changes in the public school system.

I'm talking the situation in the two westernmost Canadian provinces because those are the ones I'm familiar with. But I have gotten the impression that most US states do the same things in their public system.

Three changes I'd make immediately are to get back to flunking the non-performers, being able to expel the shitheads and not having special needs kids integrated into regular classrooms.

And probably others after some study.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Nothing like Catholic private schools, which do not have "themes," out-performing pubic schools in science and having higher SAT scores in all categories.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
All that being said, I'm in favor of "charter schools" as we call them, with some strong caveates and applied regulations. This preference could be diluted or eliminated with some changes in the public school system.

I'm talking the situation in the two westernmost Canadian provinces because those are the ones I'm familiar with. But I have gotten the impression that most US states do the same things in their public system.

Three changes I'd make immediately are to get back to flunking the non-performers, being able to expel the shitheads and not having special needs kids integrated into regular classrooms.

And probably others after some study.
Wow Hell froze over, something we agree on