Rethinking Public Education

Feb 2018
ohio
Many cannot afford private Catholic schools. So, education is only for the well to do, or at the least upper middle class, fuck the poor as their children to not deserve a decent education?
Of course they do, but they won't get it in most government run schools where they attend, even teachers now days get involved in teaching the more prosperous kids, that will be able to attend college. There are exceptions but Teachers now days crave popularity, because when they were in school they were the picked on kids.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
If you've been following the Ohio special election thread the discussion veered off into why cities tend to favor the Democratic Party. One reason offered (by me) is that urban areas tend to be more educated/more diverse than country dwellers. Obviously there is disagreement on this. So my friend Hollywood offered this statement:

Which brings us to this thread.

It comes as no surprise that MANY on the Right are disgusted with public education and higher education and it begs the question that IF the RW/GOP is so distraught over public schools WHY don't more conservatives become educators and "FIX" the ailing public schools.
So that's question number one.

BUT we're starting with a POP Quiz. Republicans want to privatize public schools because--Multiple Choice:

a) Education is a multibillion dollar market, and the private sector is eager to get its hands on those dollars.
b) Conservatives are devoted to the free market and believe that private is inherently superior to public.
c) Shrinking public education furthers the Republican Party goal of drastically reducing the public sector.
d) Privatization undermines teacher unions, a key base of support for the Democratic Party.
e) Privatization rhetoric can be used to woo African American and Latino voters to the Republican Party.
f) All the above

The correct answer is f. All the above.

The new buzz word in politics and education is: Vouchers.
The word may seem harmless, but it's wrapped in political deceit and very PARTISAN political meaning and leaning. School vouchers are a way to diminish power. School choice allows children and money to leave the public school system, and that means there will be fewer public teacher jobs, lower union membership, and lower dues. It's a great way to destroy public schools.

Most Americans support public education, maybe because it's so....well...American! Apple pie. Flag waving. The idea that every child would be and should be educated was pretty exciting, back in the day. Most parents WANT their children educated because they want them to have happy, healthy, productive lives and education opens doors. So why the debate over public education?

From the other thread you asked that question

The gap is being filled by pulling children out of the public education system and creating unschooling and homeschooling communities. Then there is the house of cards known as higher education that is also on its last legs.

As to why more individualists don't go into education? I can only speak for myself but i would assume that others would feel similar. It is not a merit based pay system, you are forced into a union that is collectivist by nature and then you have tenure where your future is in the hands of the collective and once you are part of the in group you basically have job security for eternity. It goes against the fundamental core of my being. That is not even getting int the curriculum, administration, in house politics and the parents.

Every job placement test (or whatever they are called) said college professor or lawyer. To me the math didn't work out. 20 years of schooling for what $80k/yr. No thanks.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
From the other thread you asked that question

The gap is being filled by pulling children out of the public education system and creating unschooling and homeschooling communities. Then there is the house of cards known as higher education that is also on its last legs.

As to why more individualists don't go into education? I can only speak for myself but i would assume that others would feel similar. It is not a merit based pay system, you are forced into a union that is collectivist by nature and then you have tenure where your future is in the hands of the collective and once you are part of the in group you basically have job security for eternity. It goes against the fundamental core of my being. That is not even getting int the curriculum, administration, in house politics and the parents.

Every job placement test (or whatever they are called) said college professor or lawyer. To me the math didn't work out. 20 years of schooling for what $80k/yr. No thanks.
No one said a thing about individualists, what was asked was why so few RW conservatives showed so little interest in being educators.
You have answered. They don't want to make that little money in return for the education needed. Their interest is in MONEY and not educating the public.
Period.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I have always been curious how one can be forced to accept a certain set of beliefs by an institution, when they already had those beliefs, and voluntarily went to an institution because of those shared beliefs.
Little kids do that voluntarily?

More like mommy and/or daddy forcibly indoctrinating the kid.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
I never saw the exit sign that read "exit here to leave Catholic schools' indoctrination and enter "mommy and/or daddy forcibly indoctrinating the kid."