Russia hacked Burisma

Dec 2015
Arizona
This is unfortunate and disheartening in its accuracy. The ONLY reason this is happening is the combination of Republican congressional buy in and the extremely loud spittle spray of the Trumpist base of MAGA marching marionettes. There seems nothing to be done beyond hoping and voting while praying our system is strong enough to recover. The American Constitution is being shredded by the people who claim to believe in it.
The short-sightedness of the Republican Party is shocking. Of course they think this mess is delightful because THEIR GUY is sitting in the Oval Office. This is probably a silly question because we all know how little vision remains in the GOP, but HOW will they feel when the GUY IN THE Oval Office is a Democrat--down the road--a few years from now? Will THAT be delightful too?
Trump has simply lowered the BAR for all future presidents and how is that advantageous for Americans? The GOP thinks they are getting away with something---that they haven't been caught---that no harm is being done.
We all know that's NOT true.

Reactions: se7en
Sep 2019
U.S.A.
The short-sightedness of the Republican Party is shocking. Of course they think this mess is delightful because THEIR GUY is sitting in the Oval Office. This is probably a silly question because we all know how little vision remains in the GOP, but HOW will they feel when the GUY IN THE Oval Office is a Democrat--down the road--a few years from now? Will THAT be delightful too?
Trump has simply lowered the BAR for all future presidents and how is that advantageous for Americans? The GOP thinks they are getting away with something---that they haven't been caught---that no harm is being done.
We all know that's NOT true.
The ONLY thing that makes any sense would be that the GOP and its minions expect and want this country to be forever what they are making it. They are not shortsighted in this case but instead deviously forward thinking and producing a bloodless revolution into some strange mixture of Oligarchy and Dictatorship..basically the opposite of the Constitutional republic defined in our founding documents. That is not a place I wish to live in.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The ONLY thing that makes any sense would be that the GOP and its minions expect and want this country to be forever what they are making it. They are not shortsighted in this case but instead deviously forward thinking and producing a bloodless revolution into some strange mixture of Oligarchy and Dictatorship..basically the opposite of the Constitutional republic defined in our founding documents. That is not a place I wish to live in.
Of course the Republicans are short-sighted and they've always BEEN short-sighted. They haven't moved forward for YEARS, even as the country has changed dramatically: demographically, financially, technologically, environmentally---our medicine--our manufacturing--our transportation.....on and on.
But the Republican Party wants this country to stay put. They can't or won't legislate. They can't problem-solve. They can't admit that their leaders are unimaginative, narrow-minded and insular. They want what they can't possibly have: A white, Christian, authoritarian-led, uneducated populace.
In other words, the GOP wants time-travel back to the 1950s.

Jul 2019
Georgia
Let's not forget a lot of powerful GOP'ers are owned by the Russians too.

we know the Russians hacked the RNC too, and they still have that info, and could release it any minute. there's a reason they haven't - their minions are doing their jobs.

they've basically installed a shadow government through trump and the GOP and are loving every minute of it, and are going to fight like hell to keep what they got, and try to get rid of anyone trying to stop it (basically American patriots, Dems & our IC)

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
Let's not forget a lot of powerful GOP'ers are owned by the Russians too.

we know the Russians hacked the RNC too, and they still have that info, and could release it any minute. there's a reason they haven't - their minions are doing their jobs.

they've basically installed a shadow government through trump and the GOP and are loving every minute of it, and are going to fight like hell to keep what they got, and try to get rid of anyone trying to stop it (basically American patriots, Dems & our IC)
Sad as it sounds, I am slightly pleased that I wont live long enough to see the end of this game. Between age and dis-ease I hope to be gone before the country and freedoms I love are taken or given away. Those doing this will I hope eventually understand what they do and regret it....though by then it will be too late.

• Sad
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, "but still". This is not a good thing to have confirmed. It's one time I'd be happy to be wrong. What's the solution? I think we need two separate internet web systems. One would be strictly isolated to US only. Could it be done?
I believe Russia already has that. So they can seclude theri country from the rest of the internet. They want that because they hack everything so want to be able to shut their country off to outside hacking

Feb 2018
Oregon
It seems likely that Russia is also taking cues if not requests from Trump in some way....we obviously wont know what is happening any more than anything else this President does but that some type of coordination and dialogue takes place in painfully clear. Considering that the ONLY way to hack our elections is from within, this is freightening.
I'm not sure what kind of regulation is possible, and I understand the need for world-wide communication, but something should be done. .....
And if they can do it there, they certainly can do it here (as well as China, Israel, Iran, or whoever else wants to)
It seems there is little we can do for the up-coming elections other than to advise everyone to ignore negative prognostications and criticisms, and make up their own mind based on what the candidates say, themselves. But maybe for the future there is an answer. How do you think this would work? And it would "kill two birds (poor birdies) with one stone". .... Campaign reform. Pass laws saying NO ONE may produce or finance political ads other than candidates. There may be NO candidate advocacy by any "news" or commentary programming. No flyers. All PACs are banned. All campaigns may be financed ONLY by citizens and limited to a maximum ANNUAL TOTAL of $1,000. Any additional issues must be aimed at limiting financing to the above considerations and at eliminating all other sources of advocacy, criticizing, etc.

Then clamp down like an alligator on Facebook and Twitter.

Couldn't this exclude foreign trolling and interference with public opinion?

Feb 2018
Oregon
I believe Russia already has that. So they can seclude theri country from the rest of the internet. They want that because they hack everything so want to be able to shut their country off to outside hacking
REALLY? Then if that is true, it is possible and practical and doable!

Jul 2019
Georgia
It seems there is little we can do for the up-coming elections other than to advise everyone to ignore negative prognostications and criticisms, and make up their own mind based on what the candidates say, themselves. But maybe for the future there is an answer. How do you think this would work? And it would "kill two birds (poor birdies) with one stone". .... Campaign reform. Pass laws saying NO ONE may produce or finance political ads other than candidates. There may be NO candidate advocacy by any "news" or commentary programming. No flyers. All PACs are banned. All campaigns may be financed ONLY by citizens and limited to a maximum ANNUAL TOTAL of $1,000. Any additional issues must be aimed at limiting financing to the above considerations and at eliminating all other sources of advocacy, criticizing, etc.

Then clamp down like an alligator on Facebook and Twitter.

Couldn't this exclude foreign trolling and interference with public opinion?
absolutely. all of those measures would help. campaign finance is such a mess

and the effect GRU/IRA had through social media in 2016 was enormous

twitter is doing a decent job of clamping down on their own, FB - - not so much

~~~

I worry Russia is going to do more than try to use social influence this go-round, and might straight up hack our voting systems. I know they made some leeway in that department in 16, without actually changing votes (or any evidence of such), but not so sure they'll stop there this time

Reactions: tecoyah and Kode