Russia hacked Burisma

Feb 2018
Oregon
I worry Russia is going to do more than try to use social influence this go-round, and might straight up hack our voting systems. I know they made some leeway in that department in 16, without actually changing votes (or any evidence of such), but not so sure they'll stop there this time
PAPER TRAIL!!!!!

Reactions: se7en
Sep 2019
U.S.A.
absolutely. all of those measures would help. campaign finance is such a mess

and the effect GRU/IRA had through social media in 2016 was enormous

twitter is doing a decent job of clamping down on their own, FB - - not so much

~~~

I worry Russia is going to do more than try to use social influence this go-round, and might straight up hack our voting systems. I know they made some leeway in that department in 16, without actually changing votes (or any evidence of such), but not so sure they'll stop there this time
And if they are successful they also KNOW the new administration is theirs and no investigation or retribution would be forthcoming....the perfect crime.

Reactions: se7en
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
REALLY? Then if that is true, it is possible and practical and doable!
Not in the US with free speech rights. Some articles about what Russia wants to do and the laws that allow Putin to do it

Russia officially introduced a 'sovereign internet' law to let Putin cut off the entire country from the rest of the web

Nov 2005
California
In an effort to try to find dirt on the Bidens. There should be no question on anyone's mind that Russia is all in on helping trump again (and trump is taking orders from them)
On another level, this is an area where Repubs hypocrisy disgusts me.

They have pushed that corporate voices should be unfettered ($$$). That companies should have "free market" capability to push what they want and if you don't like it then you should take your business elsewhere.
They have pushed that Russia interfering in our election should not be considered an issue. (Obviously cause it's in their favor, but they don't want to acknowledge or question why...)

But when it comes to their propaganda claims that silicon valley companies are using their "free market" to help the Democrats, suddenly they demand things change. They demand action be initiated to change this, but of course they skip the investigation stage first.

A foreign dossier being raised out of legitimate concern is suspect.
Trump himself directly withholding funds he has no right to withhold in an effort to coerce a response from the Ukraine on a political enemy? There's no problem there.

THERE IS NO MORAL CENTER for the Trumpette crowd.
If only the rest of the Repub party would hold to actually consistent values instead of being quiet as they reap the benefits...

Feb 2018
Oregon
Not in the US with free speech rights. Some articles about what Russia wants to do and the laws that allow Putin to do it

Russia officially introduced a 'sovereign internet' law to let Putin cut off the entire country from the rest of the web

Ok. Egad. Hmm. Well, once upon a time we had no internet. Then in time it was developed. But not everyone had access to it and still don't. Was any, or is any, of that a violation of the 1st Amendment? If someone, due to cost or being homeless, cannot get access to the internet today, is that a violation of the 1st A.?

If not, then could an answer be TWO internets?..... one as we have (the WWW), and one that is "sovereign" and isolated to the US? ALL election and campaign activity would be restricted to the "sovereign" web. This would be part of a larger plan which would include the things listed in post #18.

And regarding any objections that would be sure to arise regarding the 1st Amendment and banning PACs and banning anyone but candidates from publishing political campaign-related commentary, etc. I say that as the SC has already said, all Amendments are subject to limitations, and such limitations already exist. Considering the importance of our electoral system, reasonable divergence from the 1st A. can be justified as necessary limitations.

Sep 2019
NYC
Hunter Biden had a no show job for a company in a country he's never stepped foot in, doesn't speak the language, yet this is the controversy? Russia fucking with the ukraine?

/facepalm

Sep 2019
NYC

Obama signed and EO giving the president said power.

Dec 2015
Arizona
On another level, this is an area where Repubs hypocrisy disgusts me.

They have pushed that corporate voices should be unfettered ($$$). That companies should have "free market" capability to push what they want and if you don't like it then you should take your business elsewhere.
They have pushed that Russia interfering in our election should not be considered an issue. (Obviously cause it's in their favor, but they don't want to acknowledge or question why...)

But when it comes to their propaganda claims that silicon valley companies are using their "free market" to help the Democrats, suddenly they demand things change. They demand action be initiated to change this, but of course they skip the investigation stage first.

A foreign dossier being raised out of legitimate concern is suspect.
Trump himself directly withholding funds he has no right to withhold in an effort to coerce a response from the Ukraine on a political enemy? There's no problem there.

THERE IS NO MORAL CENTER for the Trumpette crowd.
If only the rest of the Repub party would hold to actually consistent values instead of being quiet as they reap the benefits...
Speaking of hypocrisy run amock in GOPlandia. Does anyone else think is just plain stunning that throughout the whole Russian hacking, Steele Dossier, indictments, Mueller era....all we heard from the Trumpster and his ilk was how corrupt and stupid our intelligence agencies were/are---that we can't believe our FBI or CIA. Russia didn't do THAT!!
Trump sided with PUTIN---not our agencies--even after every single person of authority (including Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats) agreed with the INTEL conclusions, BUT NOW........*BUT NOW*....we are supposed to believe in=======> IMMINENT THREATS to FOUR embassies because==============>
THAT'S what our intelligence is telling us. Spoken like a true Pompeo "PATRIOT"!

So should we believe our intel agencies NOW but not then?
Should we ALWAYS believe our intel? Sometimes? Never? When Trump and Pompeo tell us it's OKAY?

These people get dumber by the second.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Obama signed and EO giving the president said power.

Does it? That link doesn't seem to have anything when I search for internet, and none of the laws I saw mention shutting off the internet.

Granted its wikipeida

They tried to make a law in 2010 but it didn't pass. There are other laws that also make it so even if they had a law, it may be hard to implement, according to the wikipedia page. And other links I searched on google talks about it but doesn't say there are laws in place to do it. Said they may be able to argue some preexisting laws allow a president to shut the internet

Reactions: imaginethat
Sep 2019
NYC
Does it? That link doesn't seem to have anything when I search for internet, and none of the laws I saw mention shutting off the internet.

Granted its wikipeida

They tried to make a law in 2010 but it didn't pass. There are other laws that also make it so even if they had a law, it may be hard to implement, according to the wikipedia page. And other links I searched on google talks about it but doesn't say there are laws in place to do it. Said they may be able to argue some preexisting laws allow a president to shut the internet
Read it again it puts the complete control in the hands of the executive branch.