Seasonal forecasts for spring/summer 2020.

Jul 2019
Georgia
dammit.

it has been raining here since January 1st. there's been standing water in my yard for months.

getting a little sick of it

Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
We began hearing from folks in the US about the "winter that wasn't" in January. Seems the South had a false spring and blooms came out in early February. All gone now and crop failures are coming. I saw this happen decades ago and all y'all are in deep shit. Unless, of course, the coming plague cleanses the planet of it's most serious threat.1.jpeg

Jul 2019
Georgia
We began hearing from folks in the US about the "winter that wasn't" in January. Seems the South had a false spring and blooms came out in early February. All gone now and crop failures are coming. I saw this happen decades ago and all y'all are in deep shit. Unless, of course, the coming plague cleanses the planet of it's most serious threat.View attachment 8304
Not this south. Not this year anyway. Happens occasionally but we've been bogged down in the gloom for months here. Georgia.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
In 1816 there was The Year Without a Summer and I remember reading last century there was one Winter so cold that it froze the water between Manhatten and the rest of the city and people were able to cross over to Manhatten island by foot.

Back in the 1980s, they warned of global cooling and then it became global warming and now, climate change. For me, the weather hasn't changed much since as far back as I can remember. Yeah, some years are a bit hotter or colder than others and every few years, like clockwork, we get El Nino and La Nina.

I don't know what to call it but I am pretty sure we will be fine even hundred and thousands of years from now so long as we don't kill ourselves first.

Reactions: Neil

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
In 1816 there was The Year Without a Summer and I remember reading last century there was one Winter so cold that it froze the water between Manhatten and the rest of the city and people were able to cross over to Manhatten island by foot.

Back in the 1980s, they warned of global cooling and then it became global warming and now, climate change. For me, the weather hasn't changed much since as far back as I can remember. Yeah, some years are a bit hotter or colder than others and every few years, like clockwork, we get El Nino and La Nina.

I don't know what to call it but I am pretty sure we will be fine even hundred and thousands of years from now so long as we don't kill ourselves first.
It takes a ton of denial to dismiss the effects of the atmosphere's increased ability to hold thermal energy, beginning with the denial of the laws of physics.

It's dishonest to mock the self-correcting principle of honest science.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
I am not mocking. I accept that climate changes but I do not believe that the end is near. How long do you think the Earth's climate will be able to sustain life as we know it?

Reactions: Neil

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Basically, what do you think will happen with the Earth's climate? How bad and how soon?
I think that anyone who claims to speak definitively on the effects of increasing the atmosphere's physical ability to retain more thermal energy is being deceptive, whether consciously or unconsciously doing so.

The factors that drive earth's global climate, such as solar output which is affected by the sunspot cycle, changes in the earth's albedo, atmospheric aerosols, changes in the earth's orbit, changes in the tilt of the earth's axis,

The changes in the global climate until recently could be explained by natural causes. That no longer is the case. Human activities have increased the atmospheric levels of CO2, CH4, N2O, and a host of other potent heat-retentive gases. Warming also means more evaporation of water, and water vapor is also a heat-retentive gas. Warming leads to more warming, a positive feedback.

Warming permafrost releases trapped CO2 and CH4, another positive feedback.

Melting sea ice reduces albedo, leading to more warming, another positive feedback.

Fracking operations have increased the atmospheric levels of CH4, leading to more warming.

Warming reduces the oceans' ability to absorb CO2.

All that can be said with certainty is the atmosphere and oceans with continue warming resulting in unpredictable effects to human civilization, none of which appear to be desirable, all of which have the potential to increase conflict, and sooner, perhaps much sooner than later.