SeaStead. . . The Only Feasible Possibility For An Actual Libertarian Society

Nov 2019
florida
As to hooking up to the grid !!! What grid ? These things would have to be away from each other so if one broke loose or started sinking it would not damage the others.
They would have some registration with the country that they were constructed in or they would not be allowed in the water , also they would have to be insured or the tow company will not tow . I am not a lawyer , but I have been a 300 ton licensed boat captain for thirty five years and have had occasion to study the law of the sea. Did ya ever wonder how the U.S. Coast Guard can board a vessel many thousand of miles away from any U.S. possession. You should study "Law of The Sea " as amended 1989 . It is possible to buy a small sail vessel and live where ever ya want , with a few exceptions . But you will only anchor in shallow water that is ruled by some entity .

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Questions and ideas for @SkyChief about SeaStead:

1. Products actually should not be more costly on SS since everything will be duty-free, tax-free and no tariffs. Supplies do not need to come by boat either, there is something called a seaplane and many residents will have them too. Residents cant free-trade with each other.

2. Do you think it is more reasonable for residents to buy a small island with its own natural water supply so that residents can both fish and farm?

3. SS should be able to form a militia or hire a private army to defend against pirates, yes? Big guns and cannons.

Reactions: SkyChief
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
I myself lived on the water for 19 years in many different countries . Most governments are fiercely protective of their sea bottom . As I said above there ain't no shallow water that some one is not protecting . To anchor in 5,000 feet of water would require a anchor road 9 or ten miles long , and it would take many of them .<snip>
Bob, 2 things:

1) the seastead will be in international waters. (>12 miles offshore) No country will be able to dictate how long an anchor chain can be.

2) The seastead won't be anchored - it will "free float" utilizing auxiliary diesel engines and GPS computers to compensate for current drift and wind. The engines will maintain its position.
What is so damn wrong with people wanting to build a place of freedom for themselves with their own money???

Chief, If you were to post this idea on a engineering science or architect's from you would get many replies asking and giving you advice about the technical aspects of SeaStead. But instead, here you get people telling you how SeaStead and the whole idea of it will sink.<snip>
Thanks FreeToChoose!

I knew there would be naysayers and haters. I enjoy shooting down their arguments against a society of like-minded freedom lovers.

They say it's a fantasy and can never work. Right now, it IS a dream. All great ideas start out as a dream! :D

I support SeaStead and will mostly talk about the engineering and design. I already understand the (non) political concepts well.
:yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeToChoose
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
As to hooking up to the grid !!! What grid ? These things would have to be away from each other so if one broke loose or started sinking it would not damage the others.
Yes, an emergency "quick disconnect" mechanism will be mandatory equipment to all Modules connected to the grid.

<snip> Did ya ever wonder how the U.S. Coast Guard can board a vessel many thousand of miles away from any U.S. possession. You should study "Law of The Sea " as amended 1989 . It is possible to buy a small sail vessel and live where ever ya want , with a few exceptions . But you will only anchor in shallow water that is ruled by some entity .
Yes, the U.S. Coast Guard can board a VESSEL many thousand of miles away from any U.S. possession.

However, the seastead is not a "vessel" - - It is declared a sovereign State.

Nov 2019
florida
Read the law -- Twelve miles involves the right of free passage , most economic zones extend 200 miles or half way to next entity . Pie in the sky , sovereign state , I am confused whom do you make that declaration to . What passport would you carry ? Get real man .
Of course I have nuttin to do being in quarantined . Actually there is no advantage being in a GRID , what does it offer that you could not do as individuals. Power , electric , environmental issues could be handled better as solo vessels .Satellite communications are easy and getting cheaper . The only real problem that would be hard to overcome would be where to place this . For half a million dollars you can buy a boat that would do what ya want except for a place to park it , Yes they do have GPS equipment that will maintain position , oil drilling rigs use them to within inches in 10 or 12,000 feet .
As an aside , nothing to do to this , the Puerto Rican Trench depth was measured in 1858 to a depth of 26,000 feet . How did they do that ?

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
This will be used to power SeaStead along with solar panels:

Windmills are no efficient at all.

Nov 2019
florida
Kites have several problems in full time usage . They collapse when the wind dies , a wind mill just stops with no damage or response needed . If a radical wind increase a kite will blow apart while modern mills shift to a stall position . I had windmills up for many years with no attention required . That said , with the price of solar panels today that is the way to go .

Reactions: tecoyah
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
I think there are several options. Windmills won't work on a project like this. Surely they will have gas-powered generators too.

Nov 2019
florida
Tell me why windmills would not work ? They are all over the nation .
I spent several hours telling why this will not work , now lets think of alternatives that will and do work .
All over the world there are individuals who choose to follow a different drummer . In ports all over the world and at isolated anchorages you will find boats , sail and power , registered in many different countries . some are on a fast track to sail around the world , but many , if not most are just knocking around .
Most will have windmills and solar panels which will charge their house batteries to run radios, refrigeration , water makers and chargers . What else do ya need .
Once your boat is paid for you can live very cheaply . You will quickly learn were the lowest prices are for every thing.
You will always have someone looking over your shoulder but you can reduce the time spent dealing with governments .
You will have to have your boat registered with some gov. , you will need a passport Entering foriegn ports I have never been asked for more .
Sailboats are the most popular as you will use very little fuel . In many twelve month periods we used less than 30 gallons of diesel .
Sea steding is a joke but living cheaply and 99 per cent free is being done .
You will notice that in the beginning I said ' in ports and anchorages ', To anchor a boat the anchor rode should be 7 to ten times as long as the depth of the water , nobody will try to anchor " off Soundings ". Granted with the addition of several generators and several GPS guided power units it could be done costing several hundred thousand dollars . Every thing would have to be backed up by redundant equipment .
I have knocked around for nineteen years using wind generators and very little fuel . Why would you want to sea sted with a bunch of people that you know nothing about , because of the nature of the beast you can not just sail away .
People who chose the cruising life style tend to stay mostly in the " trade wind belts " ,for the obvious reason of having wind for sails , wind mills and comfort .