SeaStead. . . The Only Feasible Possibility For An Actual Libertarian Society

Feb 2018
Oregon
What nonsense. How does such a floating community pay for the fuel and anti-nausea medications that will be needed? How does it raise food and produce goods? Keep in mind that it would have to be several square miles in size and cost more to engineer and build and maintain than residents would want to spend.

Not worth serious discussion folks.

Reactions: leekohler2
Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
They could just buy Sealand and build the floating city around it after installing a couple huge windmills:

I find it a bit Sad that our resident genius does not think things through.

Reactions: leekohler2
Nov 2019
florida
A wind mill with a four foot wing span will run just about every thing that is necessary except air conditioning . On St. John USVI there was a bar that was ran on two six foot wing span wind mills , several beer cases , freezer and lighting . Not all mills are 300 foot high , The 300 ft mills swing a wing of well over a hundred feet but they are trying to supply cities , not individuals . Wind mills have been around for centuries , many farms depended on them for water . The Carib is full of mills with 30 or so wing length .
But I still maintain that sea steding is a lost cause !

Nov 2019
florida
Why , to many obstacles . The way you state it only billionaires could afford it , and those kinda of people are kinda immune from desiring to get away from it all .
The vast ocean in deep water would not be kind to that large of a raft , drill platforms are vacated for most storms , where would your people seek shelter ?
As I said the worlds shallow waters are already claimed leaving you only deep water , " off Soundings " . Spend some time in twenty foot seas , which is kinda common , and then imagine 40 or fifty foot seas .
What and who would want to trade with you , an entity with no trade laws or enforcement .
Pirates were mentioned , you would have nothing of value for most . Whom would they negotiate to sell their captives . Pirates must operate out of a port some where and you would not be close ! Much easier to take a freighter for ransom , they could not take your community back to their safe place . Leave you big guns home .
Helicopters were mentioned , it would have to have a lot of range to get were you would be and can you re-fuel it ?
Businesses were mentioned , imagine how many people would come to your gun shop in a given day , not very many .
Sea food was mentioned , the best fishing is on shallow banks that are already claimed by some one .
If a person really wanted to get away and reduce your exposure to government one way is to take a documented vessel and sail away to some of the smaller nations that appreciate foreign currencies and live quietly . In the past it was the Carib but lately many have moved into the Orient and the ex Soviet nations off the Med and Black Sea .
As I said we lived off the grid and out of the lime lite for many years , making money as we went and living by our wits .
Something else we did was sell out and travel in a travel trailer and pick up truck , moving as desired . Many places to stay for free in parks and BLM land and many places such as Wal-Marts and big box stores for the nite when traveling between parks .
Sea steading is something for dreamers and something to write about to take up time . People have been talking about it for as long as the have been talking about that carburetor that gets 300 miles per gallon . If ya really want to get away ,IMHO , you should plan some escape that you can do financially and do it all by your lonesome . Maybe off grid living in Alaska , sailing away , or many other ways that seem ridiculous . I know a man that has been living off a bicycle for seven years . and a lady that lives full time in a Prius , many people live full time in Arizona or New Mex on BLM land . Google " cheap rv living " for an eye opener .
There are many web sites that will instruct ya in how to get the hell out of Dodge .

Jul 2014
massachusetts
So a self sufficient residence at sea, that's a motor yacht, you don't get a motor yacht for $500,000 for a 2500 sq ft deck.
And the cost of maintaining something of that size is quite high.
So anyone who lived there would have to be independently wealthy to start.
And people like to be entertained, and when they have that kind of money, they don't consider watching TV in their cabin as entertainment, they want shows, concerts, theater, sports events, museums. The people with that kind of money could build that any time they want. They don't want that, they want to live in high tax areas. You got that kind of money, you want to live in San Francisco or New York City or Los Angeles.

The people who want these libertarian paradises to happen don't have the money to make them happen.
That's why they never happen.

Reactions: tecoyah
Feb 2018
Oregon
Yup, when times get tough with increasing pollution, social problems, and shortages due to an economic system that is failing, the answer is always "divert people's attention to something that gives them unrealistic 'hope' so they don't try to actually solve their problems". Just think!!! ... You could move to an island! Or live on a "seastead", or maybe even colonize Mars! Just don't look for ways to stop the elite who are the REAL problem.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
I suggest these hardcore Libertarians immediately pool resources and follow this plan. Let me know if I can help with finding a location.