Seize & nationalize healthcare?

Feb 2018
Oregon
I am good without nationalized medical care, just make it against the law for anyone to have health insurance, so everyone has to pay out of pocket for medical care. I am sure that would bring the cost of medical care down.
Oh brilliant! So what happens to a person who has liver disease and needs a transplant for $300,000 they don't have?

Mar 2019
Seattle
That's a very common argument, the one made by the OP. The terms "left" and "right" mean nearly the opposite in two contexts: in terms of the political context (excluding economic considerations), the left is defined by its preference for inclusive nationalism, multiculturalism, gender equality, and freer borders, whereas the right assumes the opposite position on these issues (See: Principles of Economics). This is of course not such a black/white thing. But it does help to think in these terms. On the other hand, the left also calls for the nationalization of education and healthcare, a call that's often regarded as conservative. The right, on the other hand, is a bigger advocate, if not a champion, of privatization. This is really interesting since, excluding economic considerations, the right is often pejoratively referred to as conservative. Just goes to show how "left" and "right" are not really useful terms. It allows us to hide behind them without really enabling us to think critically.

May 2019
USA
Oh brilliant! So what happens to a person who has liver disease and needs a transplant for $300,000 they don't have?
That national religion schizophrenia of Islam Arab oil particulates toxicity deems survival of the fittest fascists with forgiveness from Jesus according to Nazi Holocaust & 9/11 economics.

Feb 2018
Oregon
That's a very common argument, the one made by the OP. The terms "left" and "right" mean nearly the opposite in two contexts: in terms of the political context (excluding economic considerations), the left is defined by its preference for inclusive nationalism, multiculturalism, gender equality, and freer borders, whereas the right assumes the opposite position on these issues (See: Principles of Economics). This is of course not such a black/white thing. But it does help to think in these terms. On the other hand, the left also calls for the nationalization of education and healthcare, a call that's often regarded as conservative. The right, on the other hand, is a bigger advocate, if not a champion, of privatization. This is really interesting since, excluding economic considerations, the right is often pejoratively referred to as conservative. Just goes to show how "left" and "right" are not really useful terms. It allows us to hide behind them without really enabling us to think critically.
I see your point, but still, I prefer to cut things down to their essence to understand them while acknowledging the complicating details and variations that are later heaped upon them.

I understand "left" as being those who care about and want policies that are beneficial to the majority of the people and make for a better society that generates greater satisfaction with life, while I understand "right" as being those who care about and want policies that are beneficial to the larger businesses and to the rich who run them. Unfortunately the two camps' policy hopes are in direct conflict with each other in most cases.

Reactions: Clara007 and tosser
Feb 2014
Oregon
Obviously the person dies. A lot of people would die. I think a few people who argue against universal medical insurance would start arguing in favor of universal insurance when their lives and the lives of their loved ones were on the line. My suggestion that we out law private medical insurance is about forcing everyone to deal with the realities of unaffordable medical care and obscene profiteering.

Perhaps if everyone had to pay for medical needs out of pocket, there would no longer be a left and right, but just a united mass looking for better solutions.

May 2019
USA
Obviously the person dies. A lot of people would die. I think a few people who argue against universal medical insurance would start arguing in favor of universal insurance when their lives and the lives of their loved ones were on the line. My suggestion that we out law private medical insurance is about forcing everyone to deal with the realities of unaffordable medical care and obscene profiteering.
Perhaps if everyone had to pay for medical needs out of pocket, there would no longer be a left and right, but just a united mass looking for better solutions.
It's been universal medical care as those being cross conditioned way beyond therapy in "serve the Pope or die" "death to the infidels" premeditated "man is God" higher than one nation under God jihad crusade as if that's mentally competent Christian toxicity as compared to Islam Arab oil toxicity.

Feb 2018
Oregon

But don't you see that's ridiculous? There are more people than most people think who cannot scrape together $400 for an emergency without relative helping them. How do you think they would handle a $5000 medical bill? And you say let them die.

Reactions: Clara007
May 2019
USA
But don't you see that's ridiculous? There are more people than most people think who cannot scrape together $400 for an emergency without relative helping them. How do you think they would handle a $5000 medical bill? And you say let them die.
Continuing that Bicentennial Christian Nation's national religion toxicity of thieving US Constitution - old glory - old testament arsonists "man is God" immaculate drug conceptions superiority to Islam Arab oil plastic particulates toxicity in survival of the fittest fascists malfeasance as one nation under God is despicable & vile.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
The Left opposes nationalism?? Where do you come up with these hair-brained notions? There's nothing inherently evil about nationalism. In fact, if it's used as a driving force to bring people together, working toward a common goal, it can be beneficial---as long as that GOAL is worthy--human rights, social justice, economic achievement, environmental results.

Things get murky when nationalism becomes a useful tool for the political elite to divide we the people into classes, emphasizing our differences--our cultures and our religions. That is not reform. It's not worthy. It's destructive.
It's Donald J Trump.

People misunderstand nationalism. It doesn't require us to hate other nations. It doesn't require us to isolate ourselves as if that were possible for America. We depend HEAVILY on other nations who are our allies---for all sorts of situations.
Civic nationalism is a good thing. lt's good to love our own, support our own, and do what we can to further our best interests.
Nationalism shouldn't be tied to any one ethnic group, language, or anything else—only to a nation-state.
It is patriotic as long as it's used for good. Working toward universal healthcare is a good thing--for every American.
Unfortunately these "Far Right Nationalists" have their own interpretation of Nationalism which only includes the people in the nation that agree with and think like them. Basically they seem to think we are "Fox Nation".

Reactions: Kode and Clara007