Seize & nationalize healthcare?

Feb 2018
Oregon
I am good without nationalized medical care, just make it against the law for anyone to have health insurance, so everyone has to pay out of pocket for medical care. I am sure that would bring the cost of medical care down.
Oh brilliant! So what happens to a person who has liver disease and needs a transplant for $300,000 they don't have?

Mar 2019
Seattle
That's a very common argument, the one made by the OP. The terms "left" and "right" mean nearly the opposite in two contexts: in terms of the political context (excluding economic considerations), the left is defined by its preference for inclusive nationalism, multiculturalism, gender equality, and freer borders, whereas the right assumes the opposite position on these issues (See: Principles of Economics). This is of course not such a black/white thing. But it does help to think in these terms. On the other hand, the left also calls for the nationalization of education and healthcare, a call that's often regarded as conservative. The right, on the other hand, is a bigger advocate, if not a champion, of privatization. This is really interesting since, excluding economic considerations, the right is often pejoratively referred to as conservative. Just goes to show how "left" and "right" are not really useful terms. It allows us to hide behind them without really enabling us to think critically.

May 2019
USA
Oh brilliant! So what happens to a person who has liver disease and needs a transplant for $300,000 they don't have?
That national religion schizophrenia of Islam Arab oil particulates toxicity deems survival of the fittest fascists with forgiveness from Jesus according to Nazi Holocaust & 9/11 economics.

Feb 2018
Oregon
That's a very common argument, the one made by the OP. The terms "left" and "right" mean nearly the opposite in two contexts: in terms of the political context (excluding economic considerations), the left is defined by its preference for inclusive nationalism, multiculturalism, gender equality, and freer borders, whereas the right assumes the opposite position on these issues (See: Principles of Economics). This is of course not such a black/white thing. But it does help to think in these terms. On the other hand, the left also calls for the nationalization of education and healthcare, a call that's often regarded as conservative. The right, on the other hand, is a bigger advocate, if not a champion, of privatization. This is really interesting since, excluding economic considerations, the right is often pejoratively referred to as conservative. Just goes to show how "left" and "right" are not really useful terms. It allows us to hide behind them without really enabling us to think critically.
I see your point, but still, I prefer to cut things down to their essence to understand them while acknowledging the complicating details and variations that are later heaped upon them.

I understand "left" as being those who care about and want policies that are beneficial to the majority of the people and make for a better society that generates greater satisfaction with life, while I understand "right" as being those who care about and want policies that are beneficial to the larger businesses and to the rich who run them. Unfortunately the two camps' policy hopes are in direct conflict with each other in most cases.

Reactions: tosser