SF Bay area R.E. brokers cleaning up

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
IL residents are leaving in droves too.. Actually IL has had more people leave than residents born or moving into the state.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
So? Now people that always want to live in SF but didn't think they could afford to own a home there can move in and snap up some bargains.
SWEET!!!

Jan 2014
Maybe reading the whole article will clarify things. It explains how retirees are selling expensive Bay Area property and relocating where housing is cheaper and it gives them a nest egg for retirement. Seems like a common thing to happen in any urban area.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Maybe reading the whole article will clarify things. It explains how retirees are selling expensive Bay Area property and relocating where housing is cheaper and it gives them a nest egg for retirement. Seems like a common thing to happen in any urban area.
The process is really quite simple. I lived it. I was offered an assisted buy out at age 59 1/2 with a bridge to 62 and extension of bennies to age 65. Our original plan was to stay put and take trips in our motorhome from that base. We assessed that plan with a planner and after a lot of crystal ball gazing we fund that we could only live there for about 10 yrs before we ran out of our savings etc. The alternative was to sell the property, bag the cash and travel in the motorhome which we did. Then 911 blew it all in a cocked hat. We reassessed and found that we might get 18-20 years out of our 401k so we built a small managable house. We continued to travel and visit relatives and will likely keep doing so til we give up physically or financially.
What I see in these "retirees" is a situation much the same as mine was years ago. They know they can't stay there either and are opting out. So many are weary of the continuing liberal progressive makeover of the state into something they don't recognize anymore and are leaving, some going back to their roots like I am. We are seeing more and more retirees moving into the area from the cities, Chicago area mainly. Getting out on the crest of a wave as they tell it.

Jan 2014
The process is really quite simple. I lived it. I was offered an assisted buy out at age 59 1/2 with a bridge to 62 and extension of bennies to age 65. Our original plan was to stay put and take trips in our motorhome from that base. We assessed that plan with a planner and after a lot of crystal ball gazing we fund that we could only live there for about 10 yrs before we ran out of our savings etc. The alternative was to sell the property, bag the cash and travel in the motorhome which we did. Then 911 blew it all in a cocked hat. We reassessed and found that we might get 18-20 years out of our 401k so we built a small managable house. We continued to travel and visit relatives and will likely keep doing so til we give up physically or financially.
What I see in these "retirees" is a situation much the same as mine was years ago. They know they can't stay there either and are opting out. So many are weary of the continuing liberal progressive makeover of the state into something they don't recognize anymore and are leaving, some going back to their roots like I am. We are seeing more and more retirees moving into the area from the cities, Chicago area mainly. Getting out on the crest of a wave as they tell it.
It has nothing to do with being liberal. It is an economic thing. Plenty of conservatives make the same choice.
You really don’t have to try to spin every little thing in an attempt to bash liberals.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Yep, see it all the time. Leave a rural area with few opportunities when your young.
Go to the nasty old liberal city where there are better opportunites for education and making a good living.
Reap those benefits for 35-45 years.Cash out and retire.
Move back to the rural area where the taxes and cost of living is lower.
Then sit on your front porch and spend the rest of your days bitching about those horrible liberal cities. While waiting for the mailman to bring that next retirement check and social security check from the nasty old BIG GOVERNMENT.
Got it. :cool: