Should Imprisoned Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Apr 2016
Florida
Some of you are aware of my history and high level involvement with the successful effort of Florida's citizens to restore the right to vote to convicted felons (who haven't been convicted of murder or sexual assault).

Bernie Sanders has proposed expanding this nationwide, allowing those who are convicted to vote while still imprisoned.

With some restraints, I agree.

'Absolutely the Direction We Should Go': Sanders Becomes First 2020 Candidate to Support Felons Voting From Behind Bars

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Saturday became the first 2020 presidential candidate to speak out in support of allowing Americans to vote from behind bars.

During a campaign stop in Iowa, the Independent senator from Vermont was asked about his position on imprisoned people participating in political elections.

"I think that is absolutely the direction we should go," Sanders said at a town hall in Muscatine, Iowa, according to the Des Moines Register, a local newspaper.

Several states disenfranchise citizens convicted of felonies—though some states, such as Florida, have been pressured to change their laws to allow people who have served their sentences to vote. Currently, only Maine and Vermont let felons retain their voting rights while incarcerated, which the senator noted on Saturday.

"In my state, what we do is separate. You're paying a price, you committed a crime, you're in jail. That's bad," Sanders said. "But you're still living in American society and you have a right to vote. I believe in that, yes, I do."

His position was celebrated by advocates for criminal justice reform, including Shaun King, a longtime supporter who spoke at the candidate's 2020 launch rally in Brooklyn:

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Some of you are aware of my history and high level involvement with the successful effort of Florida's citizens to restore the right to vote to convicted felons (who haven't been convicted of murder or sexual assault).

Bernie Sanders has proposed expanding this nationwide, allowing those who are convicted to vote while still imprisoned.

With some restraints, I agree.

'Absolutely the Direction We Should Go': Sanders Becomes First 2020 Candidate to Support Felons Voting From Behind Bars

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Saturday became the first 2020 presidential candidate to speak out in support of allowing Americans to vote from behind bars.

During a campaign stop in Iowa, the Independent senator from Vermont was asked about his position on imprisoned people participating in political elections.

"I think that is absolutely the direction we should go," Sanders said at a town hall in Muscatine, Iowa, according to the Des Moines Register, a local newspaper.

Several states disenfranchise citizens convicted of felonies—though some states, such as Florida, have been pressured to change their laws to allow people who have served their sentences to vote. Currently, only Maine and Vermont let felons retain their voting rights while incarcerated, which the senator noted on Saturday.

"In my state, what we do is separate. You're paying a price, you committed a crime, you're in jail. That's bad," Sanders said. "But you're still living in American society and you have a right to vote. I believe in that, yes, I do."

His position was celebrated by advocates for criminal justice reform, including Shaun King, a longtime supporter who spoke at the candidate's 2020 launch rally in Brooklyn:
A felony is a crime against the State and no they should not be allowed to vote.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
The wacky left going wacky.. So you are saying that the Sandy Hook killer should vote for those that enforce the laws that control is incarceration?:zany:
I assume you would favor Adam Lanza voting, he's dead, therefore he can be counted on to vote for Trump.....

Dec 2015
Arizona
Every state has a different law. Arizona is one of 10 states who say NO to felons voting even after they have been released, gone through parole and probation. There is a grassroots movement to change that law and allow felons who have PAID for their crime to vote. I agree with this movement.
Do I think that convicted felons IN prison--currently serving should be allowed to vote?? NO.

Apr 2016
Florida
Every state has a different law. Arizona is one of 10 states who say NO to felons voting even after they have been released, gone through parole and probation. There is a grassroots movement to change that law and allow felons who have PAID for their crime to vote. I agree with this movement.
Do I think that convicted felons IN prison--currently serving should be allowed to vote?? NO.
That's why I said "with restraints".

Also, if the prisoner has yett to beconvicted, he or she should be allowed to vote.