Should Imprisoned Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

Mar 2018
Grayson
Exactly correct. Does it strike anyone curious why foreigners, anti-Americans and authoritarians seek to paint people with a Scarlet A for life?

Maybe it's their idea of how to disarm the public?: Pass enough laws to make them all convicted felons and, therefore, have no rights except to pay taxes and shut the fuck up.
To rephrase it:

"Did you really think we want those laws observed? said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with. (Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged' 1957)

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Estimates for those imprisoned in the Gulag is up to 24 million.

China executes more prisoners than the rest of the world combined. Up to 12,000 people per year. Saudi Arabia and Iran executes even more per capita than China.
Really, your argument is "Stalin was worse"?
So here we are, worse that Hitler, not as bad as Stalin....
And you'd like to see more executions, because nothing screams freedom like China, Saudi Arabia and Iran....

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Exactly correct. Does it strike anyone curious why foreigners, anti-Americans and authoritarians seek to paint people with a Scarlet A for life?

Maybe it's their idea of how to disarm the public?: Pass enough laws to make them all convicted felons and, therefore, have no rights except to pay taxes and shut the fuck up.

This is also why i take issue w/ the mental illness press. Psychology is a soft science and is constantly changing w/ the current political climate. Bob's dog dies. Bob is sad. Bob's Dr tells Bob to take these pills so Bob will feel better. Bob does and he does. He stops taking the pills after a few months. Five years later Bob goes to buy a gun. Sorry Bob you have a history of mental illness.

Sep 2017
Hell
Really, your argument is "Stalin was worse"?
So here we are, worse that Hitler, not as bad as Stalin....
And you'd like to see more executions, because nothing screams freedom like China, Saudi Arabia and Iran....
My argument is that you overreached with you claim that we have more people in prison than in the entire history of the world. Don't bring up bad info as fact. Simply put, executions reduce prison populations - so your point is flawed.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
My argument is that you overreached with you claim that we have more people in prison than in the entire history of the world. Don't bring up bad info as fact. Simply put, executions reduce prison populations - so your point is flawed.
Seriously? You think we should adopt the criminal justice system of China?

Summary execution to reduce prison overcrowding, that's your goal for the US?

Apr 2016
Florida
It's pretty obvious. It's not the first time the Democrats have sought to broaden their voting membership.
To be honest, I saw a level of maturity and intelligence in the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas high schoolers than I’ve seen in people decades older. Including this forum and others, in politics, and especially in the Oval Office.

Given the idiocy of a few smart ass high schoolers from Kentucky mocking a Native American, I’d say that’s due more to the trauma the Florida students faced.

Sep 2017
Hell
Seriously? You think we should adopt the criminal justice system of China?

Summary execution to reduce prison overcrowding, that's your goal for the US?
Can you read? Can you not go your usual route of straw man?

Where have I supported China's system? Where did I say I support more executions? What I said was they, like the Saudis and Iranians have a lower prison population because they EXECUTE more. I was calling calling you out on your claim that the US has a biggest prison population in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the world and gave up examples of why I think you overreached with that comment.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
This is also why i take issue w/ the mental illness press. Psychology is a soft science and is constantly changing w/ the current political climate. Bob's dog dies. Bob is sad. Bob's Dr tells Bob to take these pills so Bob will feel better. Bob does and he does. He stops taking the pills after a few months. Five years later Bob goes to buy a gun. Sorry Bob you have a history of mental illness.
Mental illness is legit, but there are certainly problems with the law as you just pointed out. No one should lose their rights for life without good reason. Going through a rough spell because a close friend died in college or a family member isn't good enough but that's how the law is set up now. Remember how Obama wanted to disarm for life any vet with PTSD?

Apr 2014
Heart of America
To be honest, I saw a level of maturity and intelligence in the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas high schoolers than I’ve seen in people decades older. Including this forum and others, in politics, and especially in the Oval Office.

Given the idiocy of a few smart ass high schoolers from Kentucky mocking a Native American, I’d say that’s due more to the trauma the Florida students faced.
So you have no problem letting all of the Covington kids and their classmates a year younger vote? LOL

Sorry, but most psychologists will tell you, while there are exceptions, kids are not mature enough to make such decisions. If they are, do you have any problem with child emancipation at 16? Joining the military? Smoking and drinking? If not, why not?