Should the Hyde Amendment be Overturned?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I'm actually not much of a supporter of abortions. I wouldn't do it myself, I wouldn't ask my wife to do it, and I have a hard time turning away when other people do. But making abortions illegal is not going to decrease the number of abortions. It's going to increase the number of dangerous abortions (studies in other countries back this up).

My problem is the republican party, in general, has held the positions that you shouldn't learn about sex ed, you shouldn't have easy access to contreceptions, you shouldn't have easier educational and vocational services in case you are a single parent, and no abortions (don't learn about pregnancy, don't try to prevent pregnancy, don't make it easier to have a child, and no way to end it). I can't get on that train.

Jimmy Carter said it perfectly one evening on Leno. He said he personally did not like the idea of abortion. Any body that knows anything about the man knows he's devoutly religious. 94 years old and has just returned to teaching sunday school at his local church. But he went on to say, until we have removed ALL the things that create the need for abortion, it must remain a viable option. This is exactly how I feel and I'm not at all religious.

But until we have done everything we can to prevent pregnancies, sex ed and readily available contraception, and until we have made parenting easier, especially for the low income and single parents, things like healthcare, daycare, after school programs so working adults can hold decent jobs and still raise their kids, we can't in good conscious eliminate abortion.

The sad fact is, the very people struggling so hard to end access to abortion, are the exact same people that consistently argue against the very things that will reduce the need. They don't want to pay for contraceptives even though a life times worth of birth control costs less than a couple months of welfare, WIC, food stamps section 8 housing and everything else the poor can apply for. An abortion costs even less !!!!! They are afraid sex ed will "encourage" their children to have sex (it does NOT) They certainly like to whine bitch piss and moan about cost of the services mentioned above while still refusing to consider some sort of national low cost or free day care and after school programs. The TRUTH is they have an almost fetish like relationship with the "unborn fetus", but once that fetus becomes a living breathing human being, it's "well fuck that little bastard and his whore mother". Let her struggle and suffer because she just another fucking whore !! Right ??? Why should WE pay for that ?? Right ?? It's not my job !! Right ?? She's the one that CHOSE to have sex !!! Right ??

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Why don't we invest money towards things like reproductive education, contraceptive availability, and lowering day care costs? Wouldn't initiatives like this, you know, be more effective at reducing the number of abortions?

But what do I know? I feel the solution is somewhere in the middle of both teams so I get yelled at from all sides :cool:
It has been proven that sex ed in school and kicking stupid faith based systems like abstinence only has a huge effect in reducing teen pregnancies and abortions. Easily available and inexpensive birth control works too.

Of course, Bristol Palin, the spokesperson for abstinence only disagrees and she's only been knocked up twice by different guys. But I will admit, she didn't abort.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
In post #45 this is what you said !!!!!

What you said was that ANY woman that chooses to have sex is just a fucking whore !!! And in a later post you made the comment that "men have hormones !!!" As if women don't, and as if that just explains every fucking thing !!!! Boys just being boys right ??? Thump your chest and scratch your balls !!! Men are men and women are just cum dumpsters and incubators for our pleasure ....... right ???

You slipped up. You opened the curtain and showed the world what a truly misogynistic asswipe you really are. I wonder, do you have a wife ?? girlfriend ?? Does she know you think this way ?? Does she realize what a total Neanderthal she's attached herself to ?

And I ask you again, WHY IS IT ONLY THE WOMAN'S FAULT ????

How about this. We outlaw abortion, but ANY MAN that makes a baby he doesn't want, any man that refuses child support, GETS TOTAL CASTRATION !!!!! Not just the balls but the penis as well. He NEVER gets to have sex again ???

It take TWO to tango. Why should one party get a free pass ??
Don't waste your breath on the reet. He just got elevated to my ignore list. Insults instead of arguments don't cut it with me.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
When facts, and reality, do not support your feelinhgs then resort to Saul Alinsky's Rule No. 5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. "

How is she being "punished"? Was she too stupid to know that sex can cause a conception? Was she too stupid to know that pregnancy carries with it responsibilities?

Just exactly how is she being punished when she voluntarily spread her legs, and decided to act like a whore?
You seem to believe that a women forfeits her rights if she violates the wishes of your imaginary friend.
She actually retains her rights, she isn't bound by your version of morality, you just hate women, admit it.

The fact is, an embryo isn't a human being, and you don't really believe that either.
An embryo and the womb of a willing woman is a potential human life, but without that willing woman, an embryo is medical waste.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Just a note here.
No one really believes that "life begins at conception".
Ask these hypocrites what they want to do with the hundreds of thousands of frozen embryos at IVF clinics.
Would they force women to be implanted with these embryos?
Why wouldn't they force women to be implanted ?
Because without the womb of a willing woman, an embryo is medical waste.
And that is true whether the embryo is in a freezer or in the womb of a woman.
She doesn't forfeit her right to choose.

Feb 2007
USA
And you can only distort what was said as is the common trait of your kind, in my humble, but accurate, opinion
How exactly did I "distort what was said," actually meaning what you said in numerous postings here. Indeed, I believe I fairly accurately summarized your position on the matter regarding the "at will" type of abortion scenario, which doesn't include the rape, incest, life of the mother or child, or health of the mother type of abortion scenarios.

Furthermore, I feel quite honored to be, as you implied, a different "kind"...separate from your "kind." Indeed, I don't think it is wise that a child should be forced into this world, for a variety of reasons, as a form of penalty as a result of a woman having sex, as you appear to believe. Also, I think that it is quite unjust towards a woman, unlike yourself it appears, if she is treated by the state as a walking incubator and entirely differently than a man is treated solely because of her sex, even if gestating the unborn or protecting children is a supposed "natural" act. And, I am rather proud of my position on abortion which recognizes that the extremes cannot be justly acted on and, as a result, certain rights exist for both the woman and the unborn, though not at the same periods during the pregnancy of a woman....unlike yourself it seems. So, please count me in as a different "kind," far different than your "kind."

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
How exactly did I "distort what was said," actually meaning what you said in numerous postings here. Indeed, I believe I fairly accurately summarized your position on the matter regarding the "at will" type of abortion scenario, which doesn't include the rape, incest, life of the mother or child, or health of the mother type of abortion scenarios.
This right here is the defining moment for most people. The TRUTH is, the vast majority of people do NOT want abortion outlawed. The REASON is, almost everyone has some version of the nightmare scenario. A situation so bad, an outcome so untenable, that abortion, even for the staunchest of (so called) pro-lifers, finds abortion is now a viable option.

What we're actually discussing is WHAT exactly constitutes a nightmare situation ??? For some it's only the possibility that the mother might die. But what about the 15 year old that got pregnant and whose parents have now thrown her out of the house ?? No money, clothes, food, shelter or support. Do you think she isn't going to see her situation as an emergency ?? as a nightmare ?? as an untenable situation ??

This is why, as much as I dislike the idea of abortion, I am still pro-choice. I am NOT God !!! I am NOT the arbiter of other peoples morality. I am not that person !!! I have not live their life, I have not had the same experiences they have. I CANNOT make such a highly personal moral or ethical decision for them. It really is between them, their doctor and their God. My only concern is that, IF they chose abortion, it be safe, clean and properly performed by a licensed doctor using proper medically accepted technique.

Feb 2019
here and there
How do you get Joe Biden to change his mind?

Answer: just ask him
One day abortion conflicted with his Catholic beliefs as being murder, the next day he hears the Left winged Pope give sermons about such things as the evils of building walls while ignoring the mass genocide of unborn dying across the world and decided abortion was not so bad after all.

But when it comes to the Catholic church turning their head to mass genocide for political expediency, we've all been to that rodeo before.

Last edited: