Sinèad O'Connor Pens Open Letter to Miley Cyrus

pensacola niceman

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Pensacola, FL
With over 20 years in the music business, Sinèad O'Connor has plenty of advice to give and give it she did in an open letter to Miley Cyrus.

The 46-year-old Irish singer-songwriter was compelled to reach out after hearing that Miley's Wrecking Ball video was inspired by the one for Sinèad's Nothing Compares.

"I am extremely concerned for you that those around you have led you to believe, or encouraged you in your own belief, that it is in any way 'cool' to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos," Sinèad wrote. "It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether it's the music business or yourself doing the pimping."

"The music business doesn't give a sh*t about you, or any of us," she continues. "They will prostitute you for all you are worth, and cleverly make you think its what YOU wanted... and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted, 'they' will be sunning themselves on their yachts in Antigua, which they bought by selling your body and you will find yourself very alone."

Sinèad went on to suggest that Miley, 20, missed the mark on capturing the true spirit of the Nothing Compares video, writing, "The look I chose, I chose on purpose at a time when my record company were encouraging me to do what you have done. I felt I would rather be judged on my talent and not my looks. I am happy that I made that choice, not least because I do not find myself on the proverbial rag heap now that I am almost 47 yrs of age, which unfortunately many female artists who have based their image around their sexuality, end up on when they reach middle age."

Still, Sinèad does praise the former Disney star for her "obvious" talent and leaves her with a somewhat uplifting message.

"As for the shedding of the Hannah Montana image... whoever is telling you getting naked is the way to do that does absolutely NOT respect your talent, or you as a young lady," she wrote. "Your records are good enough for you not to need any shedding of Hannah Montana. She's waaaaaaay gone by now.. Not because you got naked but because you make great records."

Reactions: 3 people
Sep 2013
Florida
Good for Sinead except she herself was naked in her famous vid years ago. That's kinda hypocritical. Of course there are different degrees of impropriety, at least Sinead didn't back her butt up on a guys johnson simulating a bitch dog in heat like Miley did.

Mileys behavior doesn't indicate the sharpest tack in the box obviously. Her young age isn't an excuse for poor career choices either or we'd see other young performers prostituting themselves all over the entertainment landscape too, especially when they aren't as established as she.

Due to Miley not being in good health, evidenced by her wide, thick (swollen) and very white coated tongue, it's possible her thinking may be compromised. A normal tongue will be slimmer and have varient shades of pink and red with no white coating, so hers is one of the unhealthiest tongues going. In this extremely unhealthy, toxic state, her brain may be currently incapable of making rational decisions.

Last edited:

pensacola niceman

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Pensacola, FL
Moreover, Miley is not in good health, evidenced by her wide, thick (swollen) and very white coated tongue. A normal tongue will be slimmer and have varient shades of pink and red with no white coating, so hers is one of the unhealthiest tongues going. In this extremely unhealthy, toxic state, her brain may be compromised and incapable of making rational decisions.
It would be good if she would stop sticking it out.

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2013
Florida
Everybody stick out your tongue before posting on this forum so we can see if you're in your right mind!

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Good for Sinead except she herself was naked in her famous vid years ago. That's kinda hypocritical. Of course there are different degrees of impropriety, at least Sinead didn't back her butt up on a guys johnson simulating a bitch dog in heat like Miley did.

Mileys behavior doesn't indicate the sharpest tack in the box obviously. Her young age isn't an excuse for poor career choices either or we'd see other young performers prostituting themselves all over the entertainment landscape too, especially when they aren't as established as she.

Due to Miley not being in good health, evidenced by her wide, thick (swollen) and very white coated tongue, it's possible her thinking may be compromised. A normal tongue will be slimmer and have varient shades of pink and red with no white coating, so hers is one of the unhealthiest tongues going. In this extremely unhealthy, toxic state, her brain may be currently incapable of making rational decisions.
I'd noticed the white tongue, too.

It's a bad health sign.

Aug 2013
Canada
Thank you once again, Sinead O'Connor! She stressed a point that I found the most troubling about this Miley Cyrus story before...doing whatever is asked to become a star. Sinead...lover her or hate her....and there sure as hell were a lot of people condemning her back in her day, but she was not someone who would allow the entertainment industry to control her. She could have been a much bigger star when she came up in the early 80's, but she refused all of her handlers' advice on how to dress and how to look....you can bet for damn sure they didn't appreciate that shaved head/concentration camp inmate look. But, she had her own reasons and her own points to make, and was determined to win or lose on her own terms.

I recall back in the day, that back in the day when physical and sexual abuse within the Catholic Church went unmentioned, she was talking about it, and when she did something for shock value...whether it was advisable or not....it was not to sell tickets or push records...there was a point behind it...even the big one: tearing up a picture of greatest PR man of the time - Pope John Paul II, live on SNL! The outrage drowned out her goals, and all the sympathy went to the guy in the funny hat. I recall that later SNL shows in the aftermath, were still doing skits using her character to mock her. There was such a concerted effort to drive her completely off the radar of public notoriety, that Roger Waters was criticized for including her in his grossly overbloated Wall Concert extravaganza that was performed in Berlin in the aftermath of the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

The Concert had a number of hits and misses understandably, since musicians and singers were asked to come in and perform on short notice with little rehearsal time...but most of them did okay, and Sinead O'Connor's version of "Mother" was a major step up from the almost unlistenable version on the studio album: Roger Waters & Sinead O'Connor - Mother

A few years ago, a friend sent me this link to an Irish documentary by The Chieftains...a traditional Irish celtic music group for any of you who never heard of them...anyway, this clip is from a session described later by founder - Paddy Moloney, of asking Sinead if she would like to try singing a traditional Irish lament - The Foggy Dew with the band. Doing a traditional celtic song shows where the passion that the greatest Irish singers put in their music, all comes from: The Chieftains & Sinead O'Connor - The Foggy Dew

And, that's all for now from this side of the Sinead O'Connor fan club! I've heard that she has serious bi-polar disorder and cancelled touring in recent years. No surprise that mental illness runs so high among performing artists, and I suspect that similar factors are part of Miley's makeup, and it's these insecurities and weaknesses that the entertainment industry seeks to use to their advantage. If they screw up and the "star" flames out, they have the scandal press to make money off the descent of burned out stars, and there's always a new batch warming up in the bullpen.

Last edited: